Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oct 1, Vedder River Perfect  (Read 9175 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Oct 1, Vedder River Perfect
« on: October 01, 2005, 12:47:56 PM »

Just got back from a short trip to the Vedder and what a difference a day makes. A short report as well on the morning trip.

It was in perfect condition during the time I fished from 9 until 11. Lots of anglers out but did not see much fish on my drive to the spot I fished above the Crossing.

Lots of the diehearts at KWB some milling about at first light wondering where most of the gravel bar had gone although a bit is now showing. Saw nothing landed during the time I was there as I watched for a bit. I quess most of them did not realize the high water of the last few days would have moved the concentration of fish out of the area and they are no longer easy picking as they were for a couple of weeks. ::)

A lot of activity as well at the Hydro Bridge but saw only one pink landed while I was cleaning up a party site, got about $10 worth of bottles and tins, enough to pay for the gas for today's trip. ;D

The spot I fished last night was now too low so I moved up river and settled into a area I had caught fish in years past. I afix my good looking pink roe and start fishing with 2 to 3 feet of float, visibility I would conservativly say was 3 to 4 feet, perfect for the 5 to 6 foot deep run I am fishing. On my second cast i hook a small coho that boils to the top before falling off, 15 minutes later I am into another fish, a spring that I land and release, a coloured buck of about 10 pounds.

While talking to a couple of friends who have dropped by for a chat float down again, this time a jack spring. it falls off after about 30 seconds.

30 more minutes more pass by before my next chance happens. This time it is a coho that wraps itself up in my line right away so no fight at all as it comes to shore easily. It turns out to be an unclipped buck of about 5 pounds tops, it kicks up a bit of a fuss as I unwrap the line and take out the #1 Gammy. It leaves in a hurry on release, still full of energy.

A fellow fishing below me with which I believe is a jig of some sort. It is being fished with 8 feet or so of float and after I have released the coho he is into spring of about 8 pounds. I donot think I have ever seen a fish hit the beach so fast. It is hooked somewhere about the mouth area, I remain silent.

Nothing happens until a few minutes before I  decide to head for breakfast. Float down again, right away as the fish takes line I know it is foul hooked :-[ It takes off into the current but I am unable to break it off and I finally I land the 5 pound spring that is hooked in pectoral fin. ??? ::) this should not happen to a short floater using roe but it did. The fellow below me remains silent  ;D as I quickly pull the hook out and send the spring on its way.

A few casts later I find a snag of some sort and break off and that and the previous event are enough to send me to the showers ( I mean breakfast).

Even though I did not get a fish to take home it was good to have some fish on once again, an improvement over last night's sucker. ;D ;D

At least the water cleaned up in a hurry and should provide some fishing opportunities for the weekend anglers.

Have fun. ;D
« Last Edit: October 01, 2005, 01:33:11 PM by chris gadsden »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Oct 1, Vedder River Perfect
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2005, 01:02:29 PM »

Good report. :) I see you were fishing as deep as Trout Slayer with those fish coming in tail first. ;D

So has anyone gone up to the hatchery to check how many coho are in there? ;D

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2005, 01:08:49 PM »

You had much better luck than we did. Went mid river firstlight with my pink roe. Tried this nice stretch for about 1 hour. No fish rolling and no fish taking the mighty pink roe. Moved down river just below Lickman a ways, few guys fishing but nobody catching. Saw a couple fish jump and my buddy had a fish on briefly but again nothing. So we went to a nice spot in the lower river where I like to catch rainbows in May. The run looks perfect. Lots of pinks around swimming between my feet. No fish wanted what I had to offer though. No signs of anything other than pinks in this location.

Decided to head far up river. Made our way to some steelhead country and nobody was in sight. Fished for another hour and again no fishing rolling and no fish biting. Stooped at On The Way bought some pepperoni. Asked if they had heard of anything. They said not much was happening and only one 11lb coho was weighed in. Decided to hit Peach Rd just before calling it a day. Went down and their was about 12 or so people. A few with spinning reels  :-\ They would cast and at the end of the drift give the rod a yank everytime. I would look at them and just shake my head. Luckily for them that had no fish. Neither did I today Neither did I  :'(

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2005, 01:09:11 PM »

Good report. :) I see you were fishing as deep as Trout Slayer with those fish coming in tail first. ;D

So has anyone gone up to the hatchery to check how many coho are in there? ;D

Their are about 1000

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2005, 03:28:26 PM »

well sounds like the river is getting back into shape. but the only thing is, is that its suppost to rain agian till friday. :-\ but im heading out next sunday so i hope the levels are perfect by then

allwaysfishin

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2005, 03:42:44 PM »

friends fished first light to 11 a.m. and report wall to wall pinks up top today. conditions were described as darn perrfect, slight color and good flow. no fish in the bag.

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2005, 04:31:12 PM »

I fished lower river below railway crossing took about a 10 min hike found a perfect run only about 3 feed deep. First cast with my new cured roe THAT WORKS SO GOOD NOW! got a nice female pink. Second cast a male pink and so on.The roe worked great but it was just pinks for me.:( The highlight of the day was no doubt a nice size rainbow that took the roe. For a little guy it put up a nice fight i had to snap some picks of that and off he went. I didnt see anyone land much but pinks pretty disapointed saw one huge spring on my hike to the fishing spot about 30cm from shore it then it took off like a bat out of hell.

One question for you roe guys when i put on a chunk of about 5 eggs some of them fall of in about the first two cast, but about 3 or so allways stay on. I also found thats when i got all my strikes.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2005, 05:57:13 PM by Floater »
[

steelieman

• Fish On!!!!
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2005, 07:06:32 PM »

My chunks contains more than 5 eggs. Its usually the size of a quarter or sometimes Loonie(depending on water clarity).

bigguy

• Old Timer
  • what?? You want me to GET OUT and go fishing?
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2005, 07:32:12 PM »

Fishing where you met the Ripper???  ;)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2005, 08:19:37 PM »

Fishing where you met the Ripper???  ;)
Have not tried it this year yet.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2005, 08:25:47 PM »

Slipped out for the last hour of daylight and all I could coax into biting was a 14 inch clipped coho jack.

Water was still good and I saw the first fresh snow on the mountains tonight so with the cooling temperature things should be good tomorrow. Saying that it seemed there was not that many coho around today, maybe as reports come in later this evening some others may have seen a few caught.

I thought after the rain of a couple of days there would be a good push of them, maybe they will be late like a lot of the other runs in the local rivers this season.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2005, 08:38:44 PM »

That's what I was thinking as well, that the coho, the main run anyways would be a little late. To Searun17 and my surprise, we didn't hook into any coho that we know for sure.  We think that we might have hooked into a couple, but we weren't sure.  Very surprised about that.  Maybe saw 4 tops moving up river.  Still it was a fun day overall.  Hooked my first big spring of the year, guessing around 30lbs or so, lost him though. :P  maybe had a coho on, might have been a nice rainbow, lost him. Finally landed a spring jack.  Lost two others.  Searun17 landed 2 spring jack very early, then about noon landed an absolutely beautiful 3-4lb rainbow.  He also lost what he though was a coho, I didn't see it.  So overall, not a bad day, weather was great, scenery was great, hooked a lot of fish.  But the lack of coho after the big rain wasn't very amusing.  ;) ;) 
Well that means that we will just have to slay them next weekend, hopefully I can shake this damn cold. :) :)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2005, 09:05:23 PM »

1000 coho in the hatchery, I guess the rain prayers are now satisfied. ;D ::)

After talking to Chris on the phone, I decided to take my dad out for a couple of hours for the evening bite. The water level was nice, but clarity needed to be a bit better.

I took him to one spot where we normally don't see anyone around, today was no exception. ;)

After a few casts, my dad thought donating one Drennan to the river was not enough, and he had to give another one. ::) This latest lost Drennan was caught up between two branches, which I later on retrieved. ;)

Still lots of fish on the move, the chums just kept going and going.

About 30 minutes into it, my Drennan was completely buried. I set the hook as fast as possible, only to find the Zeppler flying back into my chest. :-X ::) One miss, and that was the only one for me today.

My dad on the other hand, didn't miss his bite. Finally he was able to connect into one fish that produced some beautiful kicks on the rod. Unfortunately the fish came off after about 30 seconds.

Dinner time, I have to go eat my coho fillet from Thursday. ;)

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2005, 09:28:32 PM »

Rodney I had the exact same encounter today the fastest dip of a float if ever seen. I was late on the hook set and everything came flying at me.
[

Youngin

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2005, 09:39:02 PM »

I went out for a few hours today in the evening.. I couldn't believe how many chums there were! I went to my old spot mid river, where most of the island I was on was covered with water., but I managed to get over there on the little piece and there were TONNES of fish jumping! I managed to hook 2 chums in an hour.. first one was on my second cast in...  used roe in hope for a spring or coho, saw a few coho/spring jump tho.

btw.. first chums this season.. nice fresh males :)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2005, 09:40:56 PM by Youngin »