Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First Nations Commercial Food Fisheries  (Read 8507 times)

bigguy

• Old Timer
  • what?? You want me to GET OUT and go fishing?
Re: First Nations Commercial Food Fisheries
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2005, 11:02:25 PM »

I dont usually get political and dont know if there is much that I can do.  I am a casual friend of Harry Lali, MLA for our region, I will be bringing this up with him ASAP but not sure what he can do as tis is federal or am I wrong!.  I will discuss options with him though.  I for one was only able to catch 1 sockeye.  I know that several of my friends caught very few, so ours is not because our bellies are full of fish meat.  It is a lack of knowledge as we are so far away from the coast but I find it frustrating that so many people in this region get FREE fish from the native fishery and that the natives are so willing to provide these people with the fish.  I know people who have more sockeye in their freezers than I do and have NEVER had a liscence.  It is rediculous! ??? >:( :(

allwaysfishin

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2005, 06:18:57 AM »

tickets for the fundraiser are also availlable at Berry's Bait in Richmond.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2005, 07:36:02 AM »

tickets for the fundraiser are also availlable at Berry's Bait in Richmond.
Thanks, how are the sales going?

allwaysfishin

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2005, 06:53:08 PM »

i personally have not been asked by one single patron , for a ticket to the fundraiser..... pretty sad . not sure if other employees have had better results. Being one of the busiest shops in town i would expect brisker sales.
seems now that sockeye season is done, the wind has disappeared from the sails of those who would make thier voices heard.
come on folks.... I'm going.... ARE YOU??? and all your fishing buddies too?

grandpa

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2005, 07:10:54 PM »

Sometime when you are talking to a FN member ask them their tribal word for conservation , also wise use . You will likely find that they have no word for conservation as it is not a historical part of their culture . Some will claim that historicaly they are the world,s greatest conservationists ( stated by some of their Grand Chiefs  ) but conservation was probably a byproduct of their primitive equipment many years ago.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2005, 11:42:45 PM »

For those who cannot go to the fund raising event, at least send in a donation to SDA.  Chris provides this address:

Sportsfishing Defence Alliance
 PO box 2477, Sardis, BC, V2R 1A8.

(Cheque only)

Even a small donation from many will add up.  :)