Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ambleside/English Bay September 24...YOU SHOULD BE FISHING!!!!!  (Read 1924 times)

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
Ambleside/English Bay September 24...YOU SHOULD BE FISHING!!!!!
« on: September 24, 2005, 03:45:34 PM »

Ok...guys, I know you guys are tired of me yapping about this...but..if you're not fishing, or your boat isn't up to the task---you should be chartering a boat through ANY of the local charter firms for some great great fun! :)

So...what's the story?

I counted 73 boats. Yes, that's right. As of 12:15, there were 72 boats.

How did my boat do? We had 4 fish on, 2 of which were just peelers--I had the drag on extremely tight..but still...--stripping out line like they were supercharged, and one that went around one guys rigger as it later turns out, and it broke off after our lengthy 15 minute battle. I never got a good look at the fish--- Meaning..this was no under 30 lb fish folks and no seal was on it....

We lost 3 others, 2 of which were definitely fish on, and the third that didn't stick for more than 20 seconds.

In my estimation, there were 10 springs that I saw landed of which 2 were taken by "weekend warriors" as I call them, 9 coho that I saw hooked of which 5 were lost behind the boat while the "weekend warriors" fiddled about with the net. I know of 1 fish which may have been landed on a hootchy.

One other guide boat had some good anglers on board and I saw him land 3 springs and 1 coho....and there was me..hurtin with some bad luck!!!

As for the rest of English Bay, a colleague of mine was fishing elsewhere as his boat was too large for fishing the "pack" or "combat fishing" as they call it, and he landed a 30 lb Spring and they lost 1 other fish which the guide says--he's never seen one that big in the water.

What are people catching them on? With or Without a flasher, everyone is using ANCHOVIES, ANCHOVIES, ANCHOVIES.

Personally, I prefer herring to anchovies, but either way, it doesn't matter, if you have a seaworthy boat, you should be on the water!!!

I will be on the water again tomorrow folks...GET OUT THERE!

Tight lines everyone!!!

"You go in the cage--The cage goes in the water- - Shark's in the water--Our shark-Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish ladies, Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish Ladies at Sea.." -Quint

marmot

• Old Timer
Re: Ambleside/English Bay September 24...YOU SHOULD BE FISHING!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2005, 04:02:35 PM »

can you recommend a charter?  I'd love to head out on sunday...

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2005, 04:09:34 PM »

Cool might get my boat in the water soon
weeeeeeeeeow!

capman

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2005, 04:57:50 PM »

Thanks for the report FM. I have couple of questions for you or anyone else who can answer them.

1. Am I safe in my 12' 15 HP Aluminum boat around Ambelside?
2. I have a dozen frozen herring, should I do any thing with them before putting them on hook?

thanks

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2005, 07:01:58 PM »

Your boat is safe around Ambleside if you have a life jacket on, all the necessary safety equipment which includes paddles.

Your herring? Brine it up, put it in your bait box, with 2 cups coarse salt the night before you go fishing, add 4 cups water.

If you know how to cut plug, go for it. If not, use super herring teasers.

That's in.

A list of the local charter firms, and in no particular order and by no means complete.....in all fairness to those that I do not mention.....

Bonnie Lee Charters (604) 290 7447
Predator Charters (604) 329 8642
Sewell's Charters (604) 921-FISH
Bite's On (604) 688 2483
M and M Charters (604) 937 3962

All of these firms are reputable firms that I know of, and I know that all of these firms are probably booked solid...

My advice would be to fish the INCOMING TIDE....not to say you can't catch fish on the ebb..but the flood tide is best.

Now is the PRIME TIME to go fishing for these fish---

GUIDE BOATS are usually on the water, don't troll around without a plan, have proper safety equipment, LOTS of area knowledge, and since they have been on the water lots, they know how, when, where, why, and all the good stuff.

Since Charter fishing is not necessarily CHEAP depending on your wallet, getting the family or friends together to drink a few beers and have some fun and get out on the water at the same time is a good way to do it, or if you want MAXIMUM results, then 2 people is best..but definitely more expensive per person.

TIGHT LINES EVERYONE!!!!!!!!

"You go in the cage--The cage goes in the water- - Shark's in the water--Our shark-Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish ladies, Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish Ladies at Sea.." -Quint

tortuga

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2005, 10:02:23 PM »

FM
Sounds like you are doing well out there, and hats off to you, but with reports like this, you better get used to losing 'the big one' around 'weekend warriors' downrigger cables. This location is not suitable for this many boats. Ask the harbour patrol. Stop the hype and enjoy it while you can!

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2005, 11:11:27 PM »

:)

I wouldn't call it hype. When it's fact, it's the truth, and people should get in on the fun! :) :)

demco99

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2005, 10:45:42 AM »

hey fishing magician,

was out saturday but didn't have any luck. What depths are you guys fishing in? and what depths are you setting your gear at for the springers? was only using rubber today which I think was our mistake. Gonna head out next weekend with some chovies and hopefully get some big whites!

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2005, 12:52:10 PM »

hi guys.

Just off the water again.

to answer your questions.....

1. ALL MY FISH are coming at 65 feet or deeper. DEEPEST IS 95 feet. FISH RIGHT OFF THE BOTTOM. 90 percent of the fish hooked are right off the bottom.

2. MOST OF THE SUCCESSFUL FISHERS ARE FISHING anywhere from 60 to 110 feet of water, and FISH IN THE PACK--among the other boats, as many many people are following guide boats around.

Read my SUNDAY REPORT!!!!!!