Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mayhem at Keith Wilson bridge  (Read 18568 times)

steelieman

• Fish On!!!!
Mayhem at Keith Wilson bridge
« on: September 22, 2005, 09:02:30 PM »

Friend of mine stopped by to watch the gong show at Keith Wilson bridge and could not believe that the amount of snagging happening here. Fishermen were snagging cohos and springs and nobody is saying anything about it.

To boot, these guys are keeping the fish too. It looks like its an acceptable way of fishing here!!!!!!!

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Re: Mayhem at Keith Wilson bridge
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 09:05:26 PM »

What else is new??  >:(

I get so mad when I hear this, just makes my blood boil. Thats why I stay away from these gong shows. I know I would end up in a fight and its not worth it. I suggest that if you see this call the DFO and take pictures if possible. Thats all we can do.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 09:10:56 PM »

This is the same thing that happens each year at KWB unfortunatley,it is just a carry over from the Fraser in most cases but at KWB it is a bit more noticeable in the narrow channel of water. I was there today just for a look and observed the same thing. :(

FOC will be there in due course in plain clothes and hand out some tickets as they do each year but it does not stop what your friend observed today.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2005, 09:20:52 PM by chris gadsden »

Bone Cross

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 09:14:15 PM »

There is no difference from Bottom Bouncin' the fraser to Bottom Bouncin the Vedder. Snagging is Snagging people. Entice your fish into biting. Don't be a Beak!
from a Redneck point of View!

FishGuts

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005, 09:15:02 PM »

There should be 1 officer there checking at various times everyday, the amount of tickets handed out there everyday would probably cover his wages.

FiShGutZ

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2005, 09:42:19 PM »

Just a curious question.
To those people that stop by the KWB just to "observe".... why do so if it makes you mad.
We all know that spot is notrious for that. We all know that enforcement and education to that spot should be priority over watching "beeks" their. What I'm trying to say is when I drive down to Vancouver for what ever it is I'm doing... I don't stop by E. Hastings to see the drug addicts shoot themselves up with heroin and crack and tell all my friends that, and be ticked off because they are throwing their lives away and possibly endagering other ppl's lives.
My point is you know what goes on their, why drive out of your way...waste your own time...and energy.
Channel that energy and that time into educating or posting signs...for pete sake draw a picture and place it their on a huge board showing them how to fish and not to snag... just my 2 cents  ;)

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2005, 10:13:24 PM »

well after reading all the posts about the mayhem at the bridge today :o i must agree with some of your views. not all fishermen partake in the snag fest. i fished for several hours down there today and did observe some insane antics going on around me. i did hook into a few springs wich were released back into the water. i did set one hook right in the mouth of nice chrome spring who is now in my frezzer. and no i did not floss or snag this baby. also took home a nice spring jack to bbq. ;D ;D. was not impresed with the school kids there on a school outing booting fish back in the water and all the dragging up the banks only to throw them back in. what are these teachers thinking by not supervising them or at least explainning proper fishing procedures to start with.did manage to stop and say hi to chris who was looking for rodney.hope you two had a good lunch.well gone to penticton for the weekend so tight lines and sharp hooks to all ;D ;D ;D

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2005, 10:23:51 PM »

I don't believe what I just read.  By saying that fishfreak, you know that you just told everyone that You also permit of that Type of fishing educate, or I guess lack there of.  What do you mean why should us fisherman care.  Well the answer is, we care because we care about our river system, we care because we are real fisherman.  We care because this type of attitude is spreading.  We care because beeks that fish in that way with that attitude are going to ruin the fishery for all of us.  Man get your head out of your my friend and watch what you say on the site.  I don't really care if you do think that I am coming down on you hard, I've read allot of your other reports and I can say that they don't really impress upon me that you are not a beek.  Do you even read the stuff you right before you post it >:( >:(
 To everyone else i am sorry if this suddenly got heated.  BUT THESE HACKS R GOING TO RUIN IT FOR US ALL.  Even if they (beeks) stopped keeping the snagged hook fish, there is still way to many fish having their stomachs ripped open.  I don't know what else to say Except for I was just going let this one go until fishfreak opened his BEEK!!!
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2005, 11:22:48 PM »

Everyone should call DFO & report what they see and see if enforcement there will improve.  If not, then DFO needs to be hammered more until they respond.  I guess we can do our share to educate newbies how to fish with different techniques. But how many of those newbies at KWB actually get on a fishing site to try to learn new things. Perhaps DFO should limit leader length on smaller systems as a starter.  But if DFO doesn't want to do anything, what can anybody do.  ???  They should be there consistently because KWB is notorious with these activities during coho season every year.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2005, 11:27:39 PM by funfish »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2005, 11:45:24 PM »

DFO knows what's going on just like the FN fishery on the Fraser. They just don't care and don't enforce the regulations. Sorry to be so cynical.

FishiN AddicT

• WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG!!!
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2005, 12:03:02 AM »

I don't believe what I just read.  By saying that fishfreak, you know that you just told everyone that You also permit of that Type of fishing educate, or I guess lack there of.  What do you mean why should us fisherman care.  Well the answer is, we care because we care about our river system, we care because we are real fisherman.  We care because this type of attitude is spreading.  We care because beeks that fish in that way with that attitude are going to ruin the fishery for all of us.  Man get your head out of your my friend and watch what you say on the site.  I don't really care if you do think that I am coming down on you hard, I've read allot of your other reports and I can say that they don't really impress upon me that you are not a beek.  Do you even read the stuff you right before you post it >:( >:(
 To everyone else i am sorry if this suddenly got heated.  BUT THESE HACKS R GOING TO RUIN IT FOR US ALL.  Even if they (beeks) stopped keeping the snagged hook fish, there is still way to many fish having their stomachs ripped open.  I don't know what else to say Except for I was just going let this one go until fishfreak opened his BEEK!!!

First of all Big Steel......FF is not a BEEK and don't assume that he permits that type of fishing.  He may have not previewed what he typed, but i know him very well and he does not condone snagging fish.  I believe he was trying to make a point why the people fish that way under KWB.  If DFO is present and does nothing (knowingly that certain fish has been snagged & bonked) the fishermen down there will keep fishing the way they do cuz they think it's OK.  So in turn "why should those fishermen care if DFO doesn't do anything about it".  That's the bottom line......DFO must somehow enforce these certain "Hot spots"  >:( or any system for that matter!

« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 12:09:10 AM by FishiN AddicT »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2005, 12:43:14 AM »

did manage to stop and say hi to chris who was looking for rodney.

He was looking for me at the wrong place! ;D

Here's your photo Trev.

I'll be there at the cleanup and I will be sure to say a few things to the snaggers @ KWB from a safe distance though.

Now that's going to make a difference, quite a classy thing to do as well.

There is no difference from Bottom Bouncin' the fraser to Bottom Bouncin the Vedder. Snagging is Snagging people. Entice your fish into biting. Don't be a Beak!

I don't believe what I just read. By saying that fishfreak, you know that you just told everyone that You also permit of that Type of fishing educate, or I guess lack there of. What do you mean why should us fisherman care. Well the answer is, we care because we care about our river system, we care because we are real fisherman. We care because this type of attitude is spreading. We care because beeks that fish in that way with that attitude are going to ruin the fishery for all of us. Man get your head out of your my friend and watch what you say on the site. I don't really care if you do think that I am coming down on you hard, I've read allot of your other reports and I can say that they don't really impress upon me that you are not a beek. Do you even read the stuff you right before you post it >:( >:(
 To everyone else i am sorry if this suddenly got heated. BUT THESE HACKS R GOING TO RUIN IT FOR US ALL. Even if they (beeks) stopped keeping the snagged hook fish, there is still way to many fish having their stomachs ripped open. I don't know what else to say Except for I was just going let this one go until fishfreak opened his BEEK!!!

One suggestion.

Quit the stereotyping, develop solutions that may improve the current state of the fisheries. Keep fighting like that on the internet, which has been going on for years, will result in nothing but higher blood pressures.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2005, 12:44:10 AM »

how many times have we heard..."if you see an infraction...LOOK, OBSERVE, and RECORD....call DFO". 

what more can you do if DFO is already there and they refuse to do anything about it? be a vigilante or martyr? ???

i also know FF and i will definitely vouch for him. he plays by the rules and he never does anything way out of line.  he's right. if dfo makes the laws then it should be their responsibility and obligation to enforce them, but if they don't give a  rat's my friend, what foundation do we have to stand on?

i remember not too long ago, i stuck my neck out and took a stance...look what it got me. a kick in the nards. so guess what?  maybe its time for some of you to do the same, for a change. 

allwaysfishin

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2005, 12:48:56 AM »

there is a certain group of fisherman out there who come by the store to buy gear for coho and vedder spring. they come in for bouncing betties and small corkies and wool. we tell them that float fishing is the accepted and "proper" way to entice a bite but they don't care, they simply just don't give a damn. It's , I buy my overpriced liscences, I deserve my fish. It is an new attitude, brought here from afar and unfortunately is not seemingly going to be fixed by education. like i said, they look at you with a blank look and buy the gear they know WILL catch a fish rather than the gear that offers them a CHANCE at a biting fish.
Fishing liscences need to go under the same treatment as hunting liscences. Mandatory fish identification and understanding of regulations and methods and schooling on edicit and conservation. Make people spend that much more for a course and exam and those of us who truly value our fishing will pay the costs, those hacks and beeks will hopefully find meat fishing too expensive.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2005, 02:02:04 AM »

there is a certain group of fisherman out there who come by the store to buy gear for coho and vedder spring. they come in for bouncing betties and small corkies and wool. we tell them that float fishing is the accepted and "proper" way to entice a bite but they don't care, they simply just don't give a damn. It's , I buy my overpriced liscences, I deserve my fish. It is an new attitude, brought here from afar and unfortunately is not seemingly going to be fixed by education. like i said, they look at you with a blank look and buy the gear they know WILL catch a fish rather than the gear that offers them a CHANCE at a biting fish.
Fishing liscences need to go under the same treatment as hunting liscences. Mandatory fish identification and understanding of regulations and methods and schooling on edicit and conservation. Make people spend that much more for a course and exam and those of us who truly value our fishing will pay the costs, those hacks and beeks will hopefully find meat fishing too expensive.

i understand your concern with the bouncing betties, but aren't corkies, and especially wool a common staple of salmon fishing? ???

i totally agree with the mandatory fish identification and fishing etiquette course (prior to purchasing licenses) but i don't necessarily agree in turning our industry into an elitist sport where only the wealthy can afford to fish. that's not right either.

what needs to happen is a revision of the rules and regulations and stricter enforcement of them.