Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: rainshadow blank rod  (Read 7307 times)

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
rainshadow blank rod
« on: September 22, 2005, 03:01:31 PM »

How is the rainshadow blank rod compare with others like sage,loomis or lamiglas etc

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
Re: rainshadow blank rod
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 05:12:58 PM »

They used to be an excellent choice/made in WA state maybe Sequim.
Then one guy died and now the rods are made 'offshore'.
I saw one post on a rodbuilding board about how "there's no loss in quality'-the post was of course made by the owner of the company. ::)
I have a light bottomfishing rod that's a real beauty but it's a US made model.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 07:12:09 PM »

They used to be an excellent choice/made in WA state maybe Sequim.

That would make sense cause Sequim is located in what's called the rainshadow. The area around Sequim, the Sequim Valley gets anywhere from 30 to 150 inches of percipitation per year, while the rainfall in Sequim averages between 14 and 17 inches annually.

BIG T

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 07:19:38 PM »

I heard that the new rainshadow blank is made in china now.Does anybody use this kind of blank or rod yet,any feedback??

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005, 07:27:23 PM »

I heard that the new rainshadow blank is made in china now.Does anybody use this kind of blank or rod yet,any feedback??

Rodney can provide some feedback. Stryker rods uses rainshadow blanks.

allwaysfishin

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2005, 08:39:39 PM »

i have heard from within the industry that the rainshadow blanks are now china manufactured (apparently), that means they are built for a major savings to the company. if they pass this savings on to the consumer via a major reduction in blank price then that would be cool. As a rod builder i have not witnessed this savings being passed on to the consumer. Rainshadow tries to put itself in the same class as Sage and Loomis but that move is laughable. I have fished a few of thier drift rods and won't be rushing out to get one of my own. You want bang for your buck with a reputation and warranty to back it up as well as a feel and performance that brings a smile to the face of a seasoned angler.... have a look at G.Loomis GL2 or GL3. Hands down some of the nicest rods on the market.
there is also a rumour that the new sage drift line is built on china crafted blanks as well but this has neither been confirmed nor officially denied by anyone i've spoken with.
my advice to anyone who wants to build a higher priced blank up is to find a shop that carries a built rod in your specifications and compare it in price and feel to the equivelent sage or loomis and you may just go with a loomis.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2005, 08:41:51 PM by allwaysfishin »

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2005, 07:04:45 AM »

excellent company and rods - lifetime guarantee on their signature  blanks from last year but i think some of their new budget series are only 2 years.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2005, 07:14:32 AM »

I have built 3 lamiglas rods and own another one, and I like them as much as my sage.  I think you are splitting hairs once you start looking at Sage, Lami's, and G-loomis -  all are great rods for top dollar.

BIG T

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2005, 12:25:16 PM »

Thank you for all the inputs,now any input  for the centerpin reel seating position?this rod is going to be for centerpin ,but i heard you can make it as a hardy set up,which means the centerpin seat at about 3-4 inches from the bottom,and secure the reel by 2 rings which push in.or advice used the normal screw on type rings for secure the reel

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2005, 01:18:46 PM »

Go with a fixed Fuji reel seat. They hold the reels tight and snug. From my experience the Hardy setup tends to slide a bit.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2005, 02:08:54 PM »

fugi reel seats cant be beat for the price...if you are willing to spend the big bucks ($40 opposed to $9.00) there are some really nice metal real seats by pac bay, struble, etc.  Keep in mind that metal reel seats with steal heat from your hands in the winter so the graphite or plastic has an advantage that way.

something to think about is whether you want the seat up or down locking.  When holding a centre pin, my hand is above the reel, I dont want the threads under my fingers so I position my CP reel seat up locking.

No diff just personal preference so take your reel into a shop and put it on an up and down locking rod to see which works for you.

BIG T

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2005, 09:14:31 PM »

thanks for all the inputs.is it the rainshadow blank 11'3 is like sage 3106 or 3113??or the 12' blank is better for centerpin

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2005, 09:49:44 PM »

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2005, 10:02:48 PM »

i have a 9' 6wt built from a rainshadow blank. They are good rods, not sure if mine is pre or post moveing to china. They also do forecast rods which my builder claims arent the same quality