Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bottom Flossing @ The Pipeline  (Read 16572 times)

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
Re: Bottom Flossing @ The Pipeline
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2005, 12:30:15 AM »

i have generally fished 6 through 10 pound maxima as leader on the chilliwack. I generally (95%) of the time fish the pockety runs in the upper stretches. typical rig for moderate semi clear flow would be 15 main 8 leader, targetting coho. I have on numerous occasions, 5 I have pictures of, landed 35 to 44 lbs clean white springs with this rig. these fish were all hooked on procured roe, #2 gami hook and 18 inch 8lbs leader and bit not flossed. All landed in under 20 minutes each. Technique in fighting big fish on lighter line and having a rod that flexes properly with enough give versus backbone is really the key to subdue big fish reasonably quickly on light lines, drag adjustment is a big factor too. 

don't get me wrong. i'm not trying to troll or start any debate, but 44 lbs?....using an 8 lbs test?  ??? the last time i hooked onto a 40+ lbs spring, it fought like a 50+ pounder. it just doesn't sound right.
seems too big a gap between the numbers.

44 lbs of dead weight dragged through the water with an 8 lbs test is a feat in itself, but to have 44 lbs. of it fighting almost seems mathematically not possible.

i've landed 25 lbs springs with 8 lbs test, but a tyee?  i have yet to.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2005, 12:40:21 AM »

It's doable if you know what you're doing. I've caught a 44 lber from the Stamp on a 10 lb. test leader.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2005, 12:47:05 AM »

here's my hypothetical question.

if you use  40lbs. of braided (main line) with 10 lbs. of monofiliment (leader)... is the fish really at a disadvantage, as compared to using 15 lbs of main with 10 lbs of leader?

crack a dawn. i've also read floater's threads, i don't ever recall seeing him promote the snagging of cohos. you just accused him of doing something he never did. please don't preach ethics when you don't practice it yourself.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2005, 12:49:59 AM »

It's doable if you know what you're doing. I've caught a 44 lber from the Stamp on a 10 lb. test leader.

then i stand corrected.

most of the time, i know what i'm doing. the problem is i don't always know what the fish is doing :)

crack a dawn

• These boots were made for eating!
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2005, 12:57:11 AM »

25 pound leaders catching coho?  They can be flossed as well. 

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2005, 01:07:40 AM »

25 pound leaders catching coho?  They can be flossed as well. 

you can floss with any pound test. did you ask him about his set up? float, no float? betty...pencil lead?... 18 inch of leader,  5 feet? 

crack a dawn, you seem like a nice guy. i don't doubt that, but it's not fair to give someone a bad name just because you're speculating.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2005, 01:13:01 AM »

I've landed many springs over 30 on 10lb leaders. Don't belive me, check out the gallery.
Actions speak louder than words.

crack a dawn

• These boots were made for eating!
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2005, 01:17:28 AM »

Ohhhh,,alright,,good point. ;)  But I am a little speculative.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2005, 01:19:03 AM »

I've landed many springs over 30 on 10lb leaders. Don't belive me, check out the gallery.

i've also landed big springs with 10 lbs leaders, but the number in question was the 44 lbs on 8 lbs test.  that's quite significant.

don't worry. i believe you, as i believe FA :)

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2005, 01:19:38 AM »

Well belive it or not. When I am in town I am usually more than willing to take people out and give them some pointers.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2005, 01:21:29 AM »

Ohhhh,,alright,,good point. ;)  But I am a little speculative.

we all are, that's what makes posting fun  ;D

tight lines.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2005, 01:24:51 AM »

Well belive it or not. When I am in town I am usually more than willing to take people out and give them some pointers.

i already said i believed you. i was being sincere. why the defensive posture? you almost sound sarcastic.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2005, 09:59:28 AM »

i already said i believed you. i was being sincere. why the defensive posture? you almost sound sarcastic.

Not directed at you.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2005, 10:08:44 AM »

Isn't the idea to bring the fish in asap? The longer you need to play them (which I assume you must with a 10lb leader) the more stress which builds up in the fish and affects the flesh negatively.

It makes more sense to use heavier leader to horse them in as fast as possible - better for the fish imho.

TtotheE

« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2005, 10:10:01 AM »

Monofilament line will have some stretch to it,  which will help absorb some shock.  Braided lines pretty much won't stretch at all,  leaving the shock absorbtion to the rod,  reel drag,  and the leader.  I'm no expert on monofilament line,  so I don't know if the strength rating incorporates the stretch factor.

When fishing the Vedder I used 15 lb mono for main line and 8 lb leader.  No problems with chums and the whites,  only problem is hooking into a coho in the first place  :P