Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bottom Flossing @ The Pipeline  (Read 16569 times)

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
Re: Bottom Flossing @ The Pipeline
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2005, 10:59:56 AM »

Your right. I only use 6 to 10 lbs leader and fish the veddar with my 2106 sage. I have no problem landing big fish. And if it is to big I break it of. I do not target the big whites I am there for the coho. If I hook a spring it is not my choice and using 20 to 25 lbs leader for the veddar is total over kill. My main line is not even that heavy.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2005, 11:19:10 AM »

I know of a family who fish Pipleline. The father is a friend, an awesome fisherman, and a forum member too. After they are done with fishing, the whole familly scouted around for garbage and they have a large bag to hold the garbage.  The father hauled the garbage & fish along. I applaud them for their selfless act.  I don't have the back for heavy garbage, but I have a small bag for lines that I pick up.  It is one small thing every fisher can do, pick up those lines which can tangle up with fish & birds wherever they fish.  Instead of ranting, perhaps forum members can practise our own river cleaning in whatever capacity. Positive actions by some on the bars will become a good role models for other fishers. 

limit time

• http://www.svmatch.com/allusers/4/
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2005, 12:34:24 PM »

do you people think their were more sox taken by anglers, or netters?

who do you fish for sockeye if you dont bb??  i would like to learn frome some one, if its possable.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2005, 12:45:15 PM »

BB'ers are not helping any communities. Lets see the sockeye season was open for a whole 6 days and you think that it helps the community? Give me a break. Places like Hope rely on truckers and tourists not the fishermen so much.I know guide(s) that only barfish from their boats. They stay away from those so called gong shows. I also dont agree with BB'ing for fish and those guides dont have allot of choices since they have to please their clients.They should inform the clients that the fish they are about to catch are not actually biting the offering. Let the client decide on how they want to fish. Nothing wrong with barfishing. Give it a try and you may never go back...

first of all, i was speaking figuratively.  specificly, i was referring to the fishing industry, which is tied to tourism.
as far as the guides are concerned, they are aware that the sockeye fishery is a meat fishery...just like commercial netters, so why would they refuse a client that wants to harvest a fish or two? don't you think if they were able to, they would fish alternatively?

if its strictly about the ethics, in which you oppose the way these fish are being caught, then it is fair for me to assume (since you don't partake in this fishery) that you don't buy or eat sockeye....fresh, frozen, or smoked.  because we all agree, sockeye fishing is not a sport... therefore since you oppose any 'snagging/flossing' methods... you oppose the harvesting of these fish and will not support it by buying or eating them.

....and just to set the record straight, i love Hope. i think its a beautiful town.... but this 'our town..our river' mentality is displaced, considering that without 'outside' revenue, it's nothing more than a truck stop.
no one ever plans to go to Hope for the sake of the town itself. if they do, it's to go fishing and camping, or to take a pit stop....that's the reality.

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2005, 02:41:27 PM »

Biffchan your right to some degree i usualy fish already fast moving runs and if i hook a monster white it usualy takes off to the fast heavy water right away. Dont tell me that you can stop that from happening on a 10 pound leader without it snaping cuz everyone knows when a spring wants to go its gona go no matter what rod your using or how experienced you are. Also i dont see what problem people have with what gear others use who cares if someone uses double the line weight you do i mean is it so important to force your ways on to another fishermen.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2005, 03:07:52 PM by Floater »
[

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2005, 03:08:28 PM »

BB'ers are not helping any communities. Lets see the sockeye season was open for a whole 6 days and you think that it helps the community? Give me a break. Places like Hope rely on truckers and tourists not the fishermen so much.I know guide(s) that only barfish from their boats. They stay away from those so called gong shows. I also dont agree with BB'ing for fish and those guides dont have allot of choices since they have to please their clients.They should inform the clients that the fish they are about to catch are not actually biting the offering. Let the client decide on how they want to fish. Nothing wrong with barfishing. Give it a try and you may never go back...

first of all, i was speaking figuratively.  specificly, i was referring to the fishing industry, which is tied to tourism.
as far as the guides are concerned, they are aware that the sockeye fishery is a meat fishery...just like commercial netters, so why would they refuse a client that wants to harvest a fish or two? don't you think if they were able to, they would fish alternatively?

if its strictly about the ethics, in which you oppose the way these fish are being caught, then it is fair for me to assume (since you don't partake in this fishery) that you don't buy or eat sockeye....fresh, frozen, or smoked.  because we all agree, sockeye fishing is not a sport... therefore since you oppose any 'snagging/flossing' methods... you oppose the harvesting of these fish and will not support it by buying or eating them.

....and just to set the record straight, i love Hope. i think its a beautiful town.... but this 'our town..our river' mentality is displaced, considering that without 'outside' revenue, it's nothing more than a truck stop.
no one ever plans to go to Hope for the sake of the town itself. if they do, it's to go fishing and camping, or to take a pit stop....that's the reality.

Actually I never buy sockeye and if I want to catch sockeye I catch them out in the ocean using bait where they actually bite. Their are 4 other species of salmon that come up the river that well bite your offering. Coho are just as good BBQ'd and Red Springs are tasty on the BBQ as well. The pinks and chums are great for smoking so you see I dont need the sockeye fishery since their are so many alternatives. I never buy salmon in the store, I do buy shellfish in the store but never salmon. If I dont catch anything thats fine since fishing to me is a sport and I just enjoy my time out on the water.

As far as the guides are concerned I happen to know 1 guide that doesnt take clients out for sockeye and he makes a good living. He does not want to jeopardize his beliefs for the all mighty buck. I have to respect someone like that. Their are other things guides can fish for like Sturgeon, Springs etc.....

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

marshal

• Hook Chucker
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2005, 03:36:29 PM »

Blah blah blah

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2005, 03:56:38 PM »

Blah blah blah

[mod hat - AGAIN!]
And how does THIS help the topic??? 

If you can't say anything nice (or useful)......
[/mod hat]

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2005, 04:01:20 PM »

[mod edit] See my post just above this.....sheesh [/mod edit]

No need to edit it come on now. This is a public forum isnt their such a thing as freedom of speech anymore? Their was no harm in what anyone was really posting. Their was no foul language, no insults thrown at anyone, and it never got out of hand.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2005, 04:33:03 PM by eddie99 »

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2005, 04:42:40 PM »

Floater, good on you if you are able to kit springs on the heavy water with heavy gear. The reason people are often against the heavy line is because in most situations it is near impossible to get fish to bite the heavy line usually indicates that they are snagging fish.
Actions speak louder than words.

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2005, 04:53:34 PM »

Hmm biffchan dont know if that was sarcasam or what but anyways maybe on smaller fish like coho the line matters but on springs i have no trouble getting bites on 25 line actualy i even get coho to bite also. I think the whole to thick line scares fish away is just a fishermans myth to some extent cuz people forget fish dont have as good eye site as us and dont even know what a leader or a hook is. To them they just see something in their territory and they bite it its all instinct they arent freaking smart lol.
[

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2005, 05:05:14 PM »

Tells you what, some time me and you shall head out, you can fish with your 20lb leader and me with my 10lb.
Actions speak louder than words.

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2005, 05:48:31 PM »

No problem but this has to be during white run on the vedder thats what im basing this on.
[

allwaysfishin

« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2005, 11:42:23 PM »

i have generally fished 6 through 10 pound maxima as leader on the chilliwack. I generally (95%) of the time fish the pockety runs in the upper stretches. typical rig for moderate semi clear flow would be 15 main 8 leader, targetting coho. I have on numerous occasions, 5 I have pictures of, landed 35 to 44 lbs clean white springs with this rig. these fish were all hooked on procured roe, #2 gami hook and 18 inch 8lbs leader and bit not flossed. All landed in under 20 minutes each. Technique in fighting big fish on lighter line and having a rod that flexes properly with enough give versus backbone is really the key to subdue big fish reasonably quickly on light lines, drag adjustment is a big factor too. 

crack a dawn

• These boots were made for eating!
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2005, 12:25:53 AM »

Floater,, if there was a school for fishing ethics,, you should be the first to enroll.  No offense,, but I've been reading some of your posts over the last few weeks,, and all I can do is shake my head.  ??? Sure,,we can, within reason fish different methods.  But why would you want to haul in whites with 25 pound test,, snag sockeye,, snag cohos.  Go to school and get some "fishing" class!
Also, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to listen to some of these guys who happen to be are a lot older and  more knowledgeable than you.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2005, 12:43:05 AM by crack a dawn »