Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bottom Flossing @ The Pipeline  (Read 16558 times)

Wool Bandit

Bottom Flossing @ The Pipeline
« on: September 06, 2005, 05:45:21 PM »

This place is absolutely disgusting! Dosen't anyone clean their fish in the water anymore? The amount of fish guts strewn up and down the bank was gross. And the garbage situation; this really blew my mind! I was there about a week and a half ago and there was no garbage to be found. ( pre sockeye opening) On sunday it looked like a garbage dump! What is wrong with the sockeye crowd? I can't wait untill this disgusting display of ethics ( sockeye fishery ), is permanently closed! Who knows, if we all have to buy our sockeye maybe the commercial guys will get their jobs back. I would really like to see this fishery closed, or at least have it turned into a "food fishery". Say 10 sockeye and you are done for the year. I love eating sockeye just as much as the next guy, but alot of the stuff that goes on during these openings has to stop! The next thing you know these sockeye freaks are going to start taking up space in other river fisheries. They seem to have taken over the Vedder already. What these heathens are doing killing white springs the color of gum boots I will probably never understand. And why peolple have to use such outrageous line strenghs is another thing that goes right over my head. You should all see what I can do with 8lb test leader! If these people show up during our steelhead fisheries, watchout, I'm going to stop it. Well thats my rant for the day. ;D

roeman

Re: Bottom Flossing @ The Pipeline
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 06:23:43 PM »

Sure enjoyed fishing two weeks ago before all the people were out, it was actually relaxing to go out on the fraser and fish. 
Then anyone that has anything that floats is on the Fraser making a mess, not to mention the guys that think they own the river in the jet boats, not all but alot of them,  looks good on the guy who ran up on a bar above the mouth of the Vedder,  "who is the cool dude now"
Slow down.............
Pick up your gargage...........
to the sports fishers up at peg leg with the truck in the water up to the windows. don't drive on the river bed, even one of the admin guys on here put his vehicle in the water.. looks good on you.
Are you fishin or catchin

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2005, 06:28:21 PM »

I believe its not the "sockeye fishing people" but more or less the mass of people.  Look at Vedder. It's a mess too.
It's just that other places doesn't accumulate that number of people as of Pegleg or Pipeline bars.

FISHYtheGREAT

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2005, 06:33:53 PM »

I believe its not the "sockeye fishermen" but more or less the mass of people.  Look at the Vedder, It's a mess too.
It's just that other places don't accumulate that same number of people like Pegleg and Pipeline bars do.

Wool Bandit

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2005, 07:03:32 PM »

The jet boat thing is someting else that is driving me crazy. I started bottom flossing in 1995 and actually enjoyed it. I remember when a busy day at Landstrom Bar was a dozen people and 90% of them were from Hope. Things just got exponentionally worse from there, look at what kind of a gong show the Fraser has turned into. In 1997 I was sick of the crowds and bought a jet boat. My jet hasn't seen water for three sockeye seasons now! A lot of the prime bars are worse than the walk in spots! Can anyone else remember when Spaghetti wasn't such a show. It used to be the furthest bar anyone would run too. Then it was Spring island, now there isn't much above that and everybody is screwed, especially the guides. It's no wonder that I quit guiding locally! Don't even get me started on the pressure our poor sturgeon population is suffering. A busy day in Mission used to be 6 - 8 boats, and everyone knew each other. Last year I counted 47 boats from the Mission bridge to the mouth of Nicomen Slough. That is sick! And the amount of so called "guides" that now ply the Fraser is something that blows my mind! It seems that you automatically receive a guide license when you purchase a new jet boat. It sure is going to be funny when these so called "guides" can't catch bottom fish anymore and they actually have to make salmon bite! I estimate 90% of these bozos are going to be out of work. At least when this finally does happen the Fraser will resemble it's former self. Oh yeah one more thing, anyone that would guide their clients at a place such as Peg Leg, ( Minto Channel in guide talk ) should be ashamed of themselves!

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2005, 07:09:32 PM »

As a sox meat fisherman and a vedder sports fisherman i take offence to that type of ranting. Just because you dont agree with the flossing dosent make you any better of a person. Also the if you can land a 30-45 pound spring in the vedder without lossing it and not playing it for hours making everyone eles stand around waiting for you then your my hero. I like to catch my fish and keep them if liek you say they arent complete boots or take a pic even if they are so i allways go safe and use a 20-25 pound leader. I think people would apreciate it more if you hook your fish dont play it for hours trying to make sure your 8 pound leader dosent snap take your pics or take your fish so every can get on with the fishing. I dont understand why some people feel as if they need to be telling others how to fish all the time sad how i never hear this on the river allways on the forums.
[

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2005, 08:02:55 PM »

As a sox meat fisherman and a vedder sports fisherman i take offence to that type of ranting. Just because you dont agree with the flossing dosent make you any better of a person. Also the if you can land a 30-45 pound spring in the vedder without lossing it and not playing it for hours making everyone eles stand around waiting for you then your my hero. I like to catch my fish and keep them if liek you say they arent complete boots or take a pic even if they are so i allways go safe and use a 20-25 pound leader. I think people would apreciate it more if you hook your fish dont play it for hours trying to make sure your 8 pound leader dosent snap take your pics or take your fish so every can get on with the fishing. I dont understand why some people feel as if they need to be telling others how to fish all the time sad how i never hear this on the river allways on the forums.

Try re-wording this as most of the sentences don't make sense.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Wool Bandit

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2005, 08:21:14 PM »

AS far as making everyone else wait while I land a fish that doesn't happen. Why? Because I don't fish at the gong shows so no one is around to wait for me. As far as playing a fish to long this doesn't happen. Why? Because if I do have the misfourtune of hooking a horrid white spring, I quickly break it off. You may say this is unethical. I say do you remember when in the fall the Vedder was filled with coho, and white springs were virtually non-existent? The worst thing the chilliwack hatchery ever did was start stocking these vile fish. The less of these fish the better. And as far as why you don't hear talk of using too heavy of line is because you are standing shoulder to shoulder with others of your kind. Anglers like myself are willing to walk to get away from the crowds or just end up fishing a completely different river system. What other rivers are there do you ask. Well that is information that I will never divulge for fear of your type of angler ruining the atmosphere on our rivers. Thanks and have a nice evening!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2005, 08:23:05 PM »

I see on this thread a number of posters are sickened by the garbage they are seeing on the Fraser and Vedder. A couple of things that you can do to help is if you are fishing these spots take a garbage bag along and pick some of it up. Sometimes others seeing you do this will jump in and help. As well others will see you doing a clean up of the area's and think twice about dropping their stuff.

Nothing beats being proactive about trying to make things better. While I am at it, another way you can help is give up a day of fishing on the 25th of September and join the Chilliwack/Vedder River Cleanup Coalition as they celebrate BC Rivers Day with a cleanup of the Chilliwack and Vedder River.

All the info is at www.fishingwithrod.com/cleanriver

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2005, 09:06:23 PM »

Your absolutely right Wool Bandit. I am the same as you. I dont BB and never will. I explore rivers and creeks looking for spots where nobody or not many will find. I go out without my equiptment on some days just exploring. I might be putting 300km's on my vehicle just searching and looking. Than when I want to do some fishing I go to my spots I have found. My advice to people is this. Just clean up after yourself and bring a garbage bag. Does it do you any harm if you pick up other peoples garbage as well? Some people cant make these river cleanups but you can make a difference by doing your part.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2005, 09:28:35 PM »

Yes eddie99, if anglers cannot make our cleanups picking up garbage along the streams they fish is just great as well and I know a lot do so. Good work by those that do, it does make a difference.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2005, 01:18:24 AM »

i agree with bobby b, there's alot of finger pointing with no backing. sure we can all do our part with the garbage situation, but what arrogance to talk about locations on the river like it belonged to an exclusive group....

" I remember when a busy day at Landstrom Bar was a dozen people and 90% of them were from Hope".

let's face it. if it wasn't for the fishing industry, alot of those towns including Hope would be nothing more than rest stops where people go to get gas.  camping and the old "Rambo" film location is about all, that Hope has to offer. so maybe some of you need to eat some humble pie because those so called guides, and those so called bb's are your town's bread and butter.

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2005, 03:25:08 AM »

The finger pointing keeps going on and on here with no accountability for statements made.  I guess that's the nature of the internet - many of us feel free to spew off whatever is on our mind without having to endure a real face to face confrontation.

Thats exactly what if been saying since if been on this forum. People seem to have made it a second(to fishing ;)) past time bashing others on the web, hiding behind their monitors.

I dont know about you wool bandit but i just like fishing i dont take more fish than my limit, i dont use hooks with barbs on them. I know all my fish species and all the unwriten rules of gong show fishing that i do my best to follow. I also dont go around tell fishermen how to fish , where to fish and what species is the best to catch. So if im part of some bad fishermen crowed i dont wana be part of the good.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2005, 03:54:24 AM by Floater »
[

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2005, 07:29:24 AM »

i agree with bobby b, there's alot of finger pointing with no backing. sure we can all do our part with the garbage situation, but what arrogance to talk about locations on the river like it belonged to an exclusive group....

" I remember when a busy day at Landstrom Bar was a dozen people and 90% of them were from Hope".

let's face it. if it wasn't for the fishing industry, alot of those towns including Hope would be nothing more than rest stops where people go to get gas.  camping and the old "Rambo" film location is about all, that Hope has to offer. so maybe some of you need to eat some humble pie because those so called guides, and those so called bb's are your town's bread and butter.

BB'ers are not helping any communities. Lets see the sockeye season was open for a whole 6 days and you think that it helps the community? Give me a break. Places like Hope rely on truckers and tourists not the fishermen so much.I know guide(s) that only barfish from their boats. They stay away from those so called gong shows. I also dont agree with BB'ing for fish and those guides dont have allot of choices since they have to please their clients.They should inform the clients that the fish they are about to catch are not actually biting the offering. Let the client decide on how they want to fish. Nothing wrong with barfishing. Give it a try and you may never go back...

Belong to the "4 F Club"

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2005, 10:45:55 AM »

Also the if you can land a 30-45 pound spring in the vedder without lossing it and not playing it for hours making everyone eles stand around waiting for you then your my hero. I like to catch my fish and keep them if liek you say they arent complete boots or take a pic even if they are so i allways go safe and use a 20-25 pound leader. I think people would apreciate it more if you hook your fish dont play it for hours trying to make sure your 8 pound leader dosent snap take your pics or take your fish so every can get on with the fishing

Floater I'm not sure what your fishing experience is like but from my personal experiece, 20-25lb leader is not necessary and that unless you are fishing very heavy water, it is very difficult to get 'bites' doing so. I personaly use 10lb maxima for leader and very rarely brake off fish unless on purpose. When you speak of people taking too long to land their fish it is usually due to 1. The fish is snagged and should be broken off to avoid over tiring it and monopolizing the pool. 2. The angler is not using a rod suited to the job. 3. Said fisherman is inexperienced, in which case its best to be patient as we were all there once.
Actions speak louder than words.