Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: (someone has photos from) pegleg Sept.5?  (Read 9940 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: (someone has photos from) pegleg Sept.5?
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2005, 12:46:10 PM »

Actually vehicles should not be crossing a body of water for reasons most of us know about. For that matter even driving on the gravel bars like this is not the best although I am guilty of this as well.

Last year the fellow doing the creel count at Peg told me he saw dead fry etc. in the side channel where the vehicles were crossing. Something to keep in mind when thinking about crossing water in the reparian zone. I hope the garbage is not too bad out there on Peg but I am sure some of FWR members that are fishing out there are dealing with it, will try to get out there after the sockeye mania is over and I return from England.

It always annoyes me as well seeing TV commercials advertizing vehicles and they are ripping through streams.

Always say I am going to write a letter of complaint about this but never have. :-[
« Last Edit: September 06, 2005, 08:27:59 PM by chris gadsden »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2005, 12:49:01 PM »

The boats that were netting in front of you at No. 3 Road on Sunday were probably the Musqueam Band fishing boats. They had a 12 hour opening that day. The commercial fishermen had a protest fishery a bit further west of Steveston, near the Fraser River mouth.

Fishing was poor the last few days down here, kind of expected that as usually the pink salmon fishing doesn't really pick up down here until the second week of September. :)

Float fishing for coho, well you have to check out this link. ;D

As for how to prepare your roe as bait for your floatfishing trip, check out this link.

Some more information on drift/float fishing. :)

More articles... ;D

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2005, 12:59:01 PM »

Do the human test before driving in.

Walk into it, if water goes above head, it's too deep to drive across. In DS's case, if water goes above crotch area, it's definitely too deep to drive across. ;D

There is also the visual test... If water appears muddy, it means that it is shallow as the water's coloured up from the mud bottom. ;D

Also remember where it was shallow when you arrived....it's the EXACT place you want to cross on the way back  ::)

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2005, 01:14:29 PM »

Wow all those other trucks around no one could help that guy out and use a rope to pull that sucker out?
[

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2005, 01:17:07 PM »

Too busy fishing.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
    • My Pictures
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2005, 01:27:11 PM »

Wow all those other trucks around no one could help that guy out and use a rope to pull that sucker out?

From the picture, I'm guessing that the guy in the white is doing just that.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2005, 01:37:49 PM »

I tell you this much I wouldnt help him. If your dumb enough to get yourself into that mess you should be able to afford to get it out. Do I sound a bit harsh, well maybe but I would never take risks like that. I value my vehicle too much.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

bruce

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2005, 03:19:56 PM »

i have some pics on Sep 5, but I don't know how to post it

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2005, 03:45:39 PM »

Send them to Rodney. He'll post it

crack a dawn

• These boots were made for eating!
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2005, 05:00:59 PM »

Can't believe that guy drove in that section! :o ;D

calfisher

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2005, 05:20:03 PM »

The picture of the dunked truck was Saturday.  Eventually a real Tow Truck arrived and got stuck himself.  I was walking out as the tow truck driver was digging out his front right wheel.

Doesn't this happen at least once a year?  I remember a Jeep Cherokee towing a boat last year.

The gene pool does not have a lifeguard.

Cal

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
    • My Pictures
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2005, 06:24:17 PM »

Can't believe that guy drove in that section! :o ;D

It's suprisingly easy to miss the shallow section and end up there  ::)

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2005, 06:32:26 PM »

I was lucky. It was my first time there. Just so happen someone just came. So I just followed.  :D

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2005, 07:39:29 PM »

every year someone gets stuck out their even myself when i first started going there it's a sad thing to see when someone is in need of help and no one of the hundreds of people can help out or at least offer.this year was a new thing I've seen out there a lunch truck rolls up mid day and mad a killing out there smart lady.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2005, 10:35:37 PM »

I went there first time bb Sunday, it was quite a traumatic experience waking up at 4am just to realize that even that was too late. Got there 7am and the place was a zoo, would appreciate if someone took any pics of the crowds as no one outside the meat fishing community would believe me.

On the fishing side, I had it all (or not), broke my new rod  :'(, had one birdsnest after another (everytime I sit down on the beach to untangle my line one guy shows up and takes my spot...), at least 5 hooks lost because of constant snagging, AND NO FISH!. People left and right are reeling in one after another, not me.

There must be other places to go I am sure, and no one would probably release that kind of information on the forum, but hey, someone may have a heart for beginners that can't cast straight for 5 hours standing shoulder to shoulder to seasoned hunters, maybe pm me, I would certainly appreciate.

Probably bad timing from my side, but this had nothing to do with recreation...I will go back though once I got the hang of it, until then I stick to bottom fishing for trout which isn't a bad fish either...

I will be glad to help you & show you around places and share some techniques. It may be too late for sockeyes now.  Check your PM.
One word about practising your cast with a bait caster, I always tell a beginner fisherman to practise it in a park.  Just take the hook off, and  practise overhead cast.  Start casting short distance.  When you are used to the mechanism, then cast longer.  Bring along a big hook to help unwind any bird-nest situation.  FA is right,  do your practice castings before you show up at the river.  It is too frustrating to see every one into fish while you are into bird-nests. 

I went today for an afternoon in a spot above Jones/Laidlaw and limited out with 2 socs plus a bonus red spring about 18 lbs.  It seems to be a slower day though compared to the last couple of days.  Perhaps the effect of the FN & commercial nettings on sunday is reflected up river today.