Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making Pegleg a safer bar to save future lives  (Read 5529 times)

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
Making Pegleg a safer bar to save future lives
« on: August 12, 2005, 12:36:59 AM »

(The following post was also in the Drowning thread, but I thought perhaps I should start a new thread about making Pegleg a safer bar to fish in order to save future lives.  Any body with a good suggestion?)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Way back when sockeye was first open, Pegleg was a nice place to drive to. There was hardly any tall tree, and the inside channel was shallow and easily crossable.  You could practically drive up all the way to the top end of the bar with a sedan.  Many campers actually stayed overnight there near the top end where fishing for springs was particularly good.  If I could drive all the way there with my sporting Mazda RX7, you know how nice it was back then for crossing & driving. Those days were gone and I had not fished Pegleg over 8 years now.  Not worth it, too dangerous. There are always other alternative places to fish than risking your life for a fish.

Perhaps the top end of the inside channel had opened up much wider and deepened the channel.  During the early days, the side channel dried up when the sockeyes were running thick.  With this tragedy, some influential groups should lobby DFO or the government to block off the top end of the side channel or reduce its flow volume (much like the rock barrier at the side channel of Jones/Laidlaw). This will allow much safer, easier, and particularly, earlier access to Pegleg and open up a big bar early to take off the load from other congested bars.  With such a big bar, they can actually segregate sections of it for bar-fishing only. Wouldn't it be nice?  ;D  Also, why don't they make it a park, much like many parks along Lower Fraser? 

It is to the interest of the local Chilliwack or Abbotsford city government that an accessable Pegleg can replace the IS22 bar which was washed away, and many visiting fishermen mean good business for its restaurants & motels.  Besides, don't they want a local fishing bar for its many fishing residents, now that IS22 Bar is gone?  Why not make such motion so there will not be future loss of life for crossing this dangerous bar the way it is now.  Its local location make it that much more dangerous, because many local residents may not want to drive to a more remote bar and rather they risk crossing it.  Time for some actions in light of this tragedy. Heaven forbids, but it will likely happen again if nothing is done about making this bar less dangerous. 

Chris, with your connection and lobbying magic, perhaps you people there can lobby your government to save some future lives.  Any idea from any body about making Pegleg a safer place to cross & fish?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2005, 12:50:34 AM by funfish »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Making Pegleg a safer bar to save future lives
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 01:58:31 AM »

funfish, good reads. CG and I were in fact discussing what can be done about Peg Leg safety yesterday while barfishing. I thought it was strange that signs are not up during certain time of the year warning people about wading.

Maybe the email can go to the Fraser Valley Regional District. 2:40 can probably bring it up to his supervisor? We'll get it going soon. CG was busy tonight, he and his wife had their forty year anniversary. ;) Congrat! :)

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 08:27:39 AM »

(The following post was also in the Drowning thread, but I thought perhaps I should start a new thread about making Pegleg a safer bar to fish in order to save future lives.  Any body with a good suggestion?)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Way back when sockeye was first open, Pegleg was a nice place to drive to. There was hardly any tall tree, and the inside channel was shallow and easily crossable.  You could practically drive up all the way to the top end of the bar with a sedan.  Many campers actually stayed overnight there near the top end where fishing for springs was particularly good.  If I could drive all the way there with my sporting Mazda RX7, you know how nice it was back then for crossing & driving. Those days were gone and I had not fished Pegleg over 8 years now.  Not worth it, too dangerous. There are always other alternative places to fish than risking your life for a fish.

okay...is it just me but i HATE it when vehicles drive right up to the bars. I'm not a scientist but doesn't oil dripping and other vehicle-related disturbance have an impact on the bars/fish?

it's also ugly in that cars/trucks are totally incongruous with the natural beauty of these places....

do people REALLY have to drive on them...or are they (as  I suspect) just being lazy...

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 08:40:58 AM »

I agree there should be no cars on the bar. Post signs that  they are no cars allowed. It should be made safer. I drove there for the frist time a few years ago. Looked at the water it did'nt look safe so I left. Iwould love to be able to cross safly so I could enjoy the bar.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Green Horn

• beat the water..til the fish crawl out to ya!!
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2005, 09:23:07 AM »

One: Some people drive on the bars because...yes..they can! It is "ugly" un-necessary, probally illegal.

Two: As far as safety goes...I do not feel it is up to tax payers to babysit!

Three: I did not agree on the total closer of the Fraser River by the Cheam FN. But, you ever fish out there with all the dumb a**'s bank fisherman? AKA GONG SHOW. They yell at each other. They talk in foreign language (not french either). Some of these folks fish next to you and 10 others....cross lines, don't take the time to find out how to fish in a crowd. Fight over possesion of "snagged" fish. Well, I fish this so called (gong show). I am not proud of most of these "sport fisherman" But, I like to fish and most of all I like to eat sockeye.

Just something that has been on my mind...why should we not put in place...a "fish stamp" program. All you can have is 8 sockeye for the year. One stamp would cost ya...say...3 dollars. A book of 8, 15 dollars. After you caught your 8 fish for the year...it's all over. That would reduce the crowd of food fisherman. If you lost your license...too bad, no more stamps.

Now, my last thought....as far as FN selling illegal fish...do as the police do to people that buy a prostitute....arrest the buyer(johns). It is so nice to live in a country without a deficit.... at the expense of crime....insufficient Law Enforcement, and crooks as politicians.

Any how...Thanks to all that posted and kept all us informed. Why we as sportsman waited until the last second...is just plain sad...and BAD as sportsman. Our leadership is doing a fine job, they just have to be more aggressive to us the membership. in other words....LIGHT A FIRE UNDER OUR BUTTS to activate us!

Thanks,

BOB
The Green Horn

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2005, 09:42:46 AM »

Chris, with your connection and lobbying magic, perhaps you people there can lobby your government to save some future lives.  Any idea from any body about making Pegleg a safer place to cross & fish?

Great idea. Could you please write a note to Gary Wickham at the City of Chilliwack,get  his address from the City of Chilliwack web site. Please send me a copy when you have sent your concern and then I will follow up with him. Always good to have concerns coming from others. It would be good if others would do the same. If you do, send me a copy of your correspondance as it will help when I visit Gary to discuss this issue.

Thanks

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2005, 11:06:19 AM »

Finally someone also recognizes the problems that can be caused by unnecessary driving onto bars. Some people are so caught up by what's shown in those 4WD ads, they tend to forget that if it can be done doesn't always mean it should be done.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2005, 11:39:22 AM »

Finally someone also recognizes the problems that can be caused by unnecessary driving onto bars. Some people are so caught up by what's shown in those 4WD ads, they tend to forget that if it can be done doesn't always mean it should be done.
I also hate those ads of them tearing through bodies of water. Have thought of sending in a letter of complaint. So many issues and not enough time. Off to host at the Great Blue Heron now so will catch up on past posts but I am sure there will be lots of people there to keep me busy.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2005, 01:41:43 PM by chris gadsden »

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2005, 11:57:03 AM »

i think that if signs are posted to warn people as they drive into peg to make them aware of
 the possible dangers that are there are a great idea,allowing vehicles on the bar are another story.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2005, 01:33:29 PM »

I also hate those ads of them tearing through bodies of water. Have thought of sending in a letter of complaint. So many issues and not enough time. Off to host at the Great Blue Heron now so will catch up on past posts but I am sure there will be lots of pepole there to keep me busy.

I always get a kick out of the small print "Please tread lightly - drive responsibly"  Like that'll make the difference

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2005, 01:32:06 AM »

Great idea. Could you please write a note to Gary Wickham at the City of Chilliwack,get  his address from the City of Chilliwack web site. Please send me a copy when you have sent your concern and then I will follow up with him. Always good to have concerns coming from others. It would be good if others would do the same. If you do, send me a copy of your correspondance as it will help when I visit Gary to discuss this issue.

Thanks

Chris, email to Gary Wickham done.  Will send copy of letter to your message box (if it works).

Funfish

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2005, 01:59:30 AM »

This is a copy of the letter.  Perhaps others can send Fraser Valley Regional District a copy or make their own. How about the MLAs if this involves the Provincial government?  Let's put in our effort to save future lives.

Dear Mr. Wickham,

The recent drowning of a Abbotsford fisherman via trying to cross the inside channel of the Pegleg fishing bar in Chilliwack is a sad reminder of the potential danger of this bar to fishermen.  The inside channel is getting deeper and may yet claim future lives if nothing is done to improve its safety.  As a concerned outsider who lives in Vancouver, I still feel a sense of duty to inform you of the danger of this bar as of now.

Way back when sockeye was first open 10+ years ago, Pegleg was a nice place to drive to. There was hardly any tall tree, and the inside channel was shallow and easily crossable.  You could practically drive up all the way to the top end of the bar with a sedan.  Many campers actually stayed overnight there near the top end where fishing for springs was particularly good.  Those days were gone and I had not fished Pegleg over 8 years now.  Not worth it, too dangerous. There are always other alternative places to fish than risking your life for a fish.

Perhaps the top end of the inside channel had opened up much wider and deepened the channel.  During the early days, the side channel dried up when the sockeyes were running thick.  IS IT POSSIBLE TO BLOCK OFF THE TOP END OF THE SIDE-CHANNEL OR REDUCE ITS FLOW VOLUME (much like the rock barrier at the side channel of Jones/Laidlaw fishing bar)? This will allow much safer, easier, and particularly, earlier access to Pegleg and open up a large fishing bar early to take off the load from other congested bars.  With such a large bar, DFO  can actually segregate sections of it for bar-fishing, flyfishing, and bottom-bouncing fishing, so different user groups can enjoy this premium bar. Wouldn't it be nice?    Also, why not turn it into a park, much like many parks along Lower Fraser, like Derby Reach Park (Langley),  Gary Point Park (Richmond) etc.  Families & kids can have a good time there.

It is to the interest of the local Chilliwack or Abbotsford city government that an accessable Pegleg can replace the IS22 bar which was washed away, and many visiting fishermen mean good business for local shops, restaurants & motels.  Besides, don't they want a local fishing bar for its many fishing residents, now that IS22 Bar is gone?  Why not do something so there will not be future loss of life for crossing this dangerous bar the way it is now.  Its local location make it that much more dangerous for area residents, because many local residents may not want to drive to a more remote bar and rather they risk crossing it.  As sad as this drowning tragedy. Heaven forbids, it will likely happen again if nothing is done about making this bar less dangerous.  Many fishermen claim to see people losing footing via crossing it. While most got out, a few unlucky ones will lose their lives for trying to catch a fish.

If it is possible to turn this into a park, then perhaps they should provide some means for easier driving access, so that even seniors or wheel-chaired persons can enjoy the famous fishing of Chilliwack (wouldn't Rick Hansen alike and many retiring seniors of Chilliwack/Abbotsford like this?).  By the way, I am able body and not a senior.

I am writing this purely as a concerned fisherman & citizen.  I don't live in Chilliwack, and I don't fish Pegleg anymore.  But I hope to voice my concern before Pegleg will claim more precious lives in the future.

Sincerely,

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2005, 02:17:07 AM »

This page lists the emails of various Chilliwack officials:

http://www.chilliwack.com/main/page.cfm?id=296

Go write them some emails on your concern.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2005, 06:10:38 PM »

I posted some info under the drowning thread instead of hear sorry funfish.