Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A trip to the Squamish Area, August 11  (Read 2528 times)

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
A trip to the Squamish Area, August 11
« on: August 12, 2005, 12:30:53 AM »

The day started just before 7am when I planned on picking up a fishing buddy who I haven't fished with for quite some time. We roll up and out towards the Sea To Sky Highway and the first stop is Tim Hortons for a quick breakfast and to grab somthing for lunch. Next we head for the area of the Mamquam River, only problem is, not being there for a while, we went in a couple circles when finally remembering the right turn off. ;D Park the car and scope out where we want to fish. Quite a few anglers allready hard at work on the Squamish, just below the Mamquam mouth. We were seeing several fish being hooked, up and down the river by fly fisherman. We then rig up the fly rods and throw on our waders so were ready to fish. We find an opening and goto work, however it is very slow, with only a couple hits. By the way, the rivers visibility was around a foot.

Decide to move on and head to the Mamquam mouth where the water is much clearer and some fish are jumping. Fish there for a while with no hookups. Back down to the Squamish where we started and on my first cast I am into a large fish with my green x-mas tree pattern. Within seconds my whole flyline is out and into the backing, there is no hope in stopping this fish and it jumps once and I can see it is definetaly not a pink. Breaks my leader off clean. Fish there a little why later with no sign of Pinks and move on.

We are now fishing the Mamquam upstream of the mouth and lots of anglers along the way to our spot are having success. I must say, I was really impressed with the handling of the fish today, not one was dragged onto the beach by an angler. The way it always should be. We settle in and now have both our float rods and fly rods ready to use. Try the float for a while and nothing happens. Met Doug off the forum there as he was leaving and he said he had multiple hookups allday as well as his fishing partners. Decide to use the fly rods now and my friend is into a fish right away. He brought it  into some shallower water and notice  it is a male pink of about 4lbs. Released and a congrats is given on the first Pink of the year.

More time goes by and more fish our hooked and played with flies. Hot flies were pink and purple articulated leechs as well as a couple of personal goto patterns. I move down river a bit and am greeted by some active pinks on the surface. Within 5 or so casts I am into a little beauty that is splashing across the surface and pulling hard. I have a picture of it too before it's quick release.

It slows down once again and we decide to leave as we have to drive back into the city and driving in the dark along the highway with the construction going on is not the best idea in my opinion.

Great day, hot and sunny with lots of little devils to fight. :)

Sinaran

Re: A trip to the Squamish Area, August 11
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 06:39:02 AM »

thanks TS, that's one excellent report. :)
congrats on your first pink of the year too!  keep up with the good work.
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 10:09:36 AM »

Decide to move on and head to the Mamquam mouth where the water is much clearer and some fish are jumping. Fish there for a while with no hookups. Back down to the Squamish where we started and on my first cast I am into a large fish with my green x-mas tree pattern. Within seconds my whole flyline is out and into the backing, there is no hope in stopping this fish and it jumps once and I can see it is definetaly not a pink. Breaks my leader off clean. Fish there a little why later with no sign of Pinks and move on.

what fish do you think it was?

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 01:23:05 PM »

Chinook, looked to have big shoulders on it. But I'm only guessing.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2005, 02:12:54 PM »

TS, great talking to you again. Such a nice and peaceful day on the flow.  I arrived at the Quam at around 9:30 with my buds about 15 mins behind me.  Should have car pooled but I could not stay past 5:00 pm.  With my gas gobbling Pathfinder and the price of gas, the trip probably cost me over $30.00 not including the gear I lost. :o

Started on the south side of the Quam just up from the confluence around where TS eventually ended up.  Pretty much stayed there the whole day as I was not in the mood for exploring.  Suprised how murky the water was given that its only a trib of the squamish but It was perfect for finding biting fish.  The whole point of this trip was to try my hand at flyfishing for the first time (actually I did flyfish once for trout in the interior for all of 5 minutes).  So armed with my new 8 wt. 9.5 foot Sage Fli rod and Islander LX3.6 reel spooled with a Rio versitip system with a type 6 tip (sorry for the detailed description but I just love my gear) I stepped into a good spot well away from the other seemingly accomplished anglers and proceeded to tie on a pink fly (not sure of the name) which I purchased from angler's west the day before.  Trying not to look like an idiot I made a short roll cast to get my fly and line on the water and then started the back cast.  Thank god the river is fairly narrow as my fly landed about mid river.  I awkwardly started stripping my line, not expecting to catch anything when the line tightened up and my rod started bouncing as I was fast into a fish.  I bring her in for a quick release and with a big grin on my face  ;D proceeded to cast again.  Alas that would be the only one I would hook and play on the fly but I was still happy nonetheless. I then lost 3 flies in about 15 mins.  The good samaritan beside me gave me some advice and a couple of nice pink flies.  I did not lose any more after that.

At around noon, tired from all the fly casting and with the wind kicking up, I switched to my CP set up and starting  to catch more fish.  The fish were very bright and fresh and quite a few of them went airborne during the fight.  They looked and fought almost coho like (except for the characteristic coho roll!!).

Overall I had fun fly fishing and will definitely do it again on the Vedder this fall.  I only hit myself with the fly a few times (well maybe four or six times) and did not tangle up with anyone (which is a bonus).  While I did enjoy it, I don't think it will replace my float fishing.  I still prefer the roe take of vedder coho!!

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2005, 02:20:06 PM »

Trout slayer do you allways start a fishing trip with tim hortons?
[

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2005, 02:50:57 PM »

Trout slayer do you allways start a fishing trip with tim hortons?

You DON'T??  ::)

calfisher

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2005, 03:56:23 PM »

Doug, sorry the flies I gave you didn't work, but as I said "sure is nice to get a fish your first cast with a fly rod".

You have til Sunday to go back up before they close the area.

Cheers

Cal

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2005, 10:33:59 PM »

That was you Cal?  Thanks for the advice.  The flies were great but it was probably my fly fishing skills that were lacking.  Wish I can fish on the weekend but must pay my dues with the family.  Hope you have a great time if you do get out this weekend.