Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Doing Business With Shimano The Easy Way  (Read 3448 times)

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
Doing Business With Shimano The Easy Way
« on: August 01, 2005, 09:38:46 PM »

I've been reading US Fora about the superior service/fast turnaround/nominal charges from Shimano down there and I wondered.
Here in Canada that was never the case-I mean when they had the Agency in Poco you had to pay for every little thing and pay large!
Now that operation is gone and they have new setup somewhere way the hell and gone under a bridge in Delta-sounds like the same kind of setup.
So mailed my Calcutta to the head office in Peterborough-cost a few bucks but so does driving to Delta from downtown
Got my reel back all serviced no charge at all!
This looks like the way of the future for me for now.
I have no desire to travel to Delta for any reason of any kind-no restaurants/stores/fishing/WHY so I'll be mailing my reels to the Big House from now on.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Doing Business With Shimano The Easy Way
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005, 10:31:57 PM »

How long did it take to get the reel back ?

the_pict

• glenmorangie- fishing -triumph motorcycles
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2005, 06:31:43 PM »

" have no desire to travel to Delta for any reason of any kind-no restaurants/stores/fishing/WHY so I'll be mailing my reels to the Big House from now on."                                                 something we said  sam  ;)

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2005, 07:31:34 PM »

thanks for letting me know I'm not happy with the service at Deep Blue Sales in Delta I have brought my reel in 3 times and now I have to bring it in a fourth because they either couldn't get it done in time or they couldn't fix the problem.  >:(  My reel doesn't cast like it did when I bought it, there is a whining noise that occurs off and on and my drag is bent way out of shape but they tell me they can't find the problem and nothing is wrong with it.  To top it all off last Friday I went to pick up my reel eventhough it STILL wasn't fixed and they left early.  :'(  I tried calling earlier in the day and all I got was an answering machine which said nothing about them leaving early. So I called up the "boss" Wayne and I had to argue with him for like a half hour on the phone before he would do something about it.  I suggested that they replace the reel since they couldn't find out what was wrong with it and he just gave me the run around saying that a replacement must be authorized by Shimano.  This guy is a real smooth talker.... he should become a politician.  ;D  At first all he was willing to do was call up Freds and pawn off the problem on them by asking them to give me a loaner reel.  By this time it was like 6:00pm and I wouldn't of been able to make it there until the next day which would of made me miss the morning bite as I like to set out to the bar at about 4:00 am.  Then he calls me back and says he keeps getting their recording but he wanted to keep trying to get through.  So I further plead my case and argue some more and he finally suggests that he will call up one of the technicians who works for him to meet me at the shop so I can pick up my reel.  So luckily I was able to go fishing all weekend.  But now I have to take it back a fourth time to personally show Wayne w how my drag is bent out of shape so he can't tell me there is no problem with my reel this time.  oh yeah and I forgot to mention that not only did they not fix it they did a shotty job of reassembling it. For one they didn't keep my line threaded through the eye so I had to take off all my line and then respool it at the bar and while I was fishing the side plate came loose and caused my clicker to jam so I had to take it off and fix it myself.  You'd think they could at least tighten the screws properly and tape or tie off the line.  They probably tightened the screws with there fingers instead of using a screwdriver or coin.  Whew sorry bout the long post but what an ordeal.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2005, 09:14:26 PM »

Well Sorry to hear all that EagleEye I was wondering who they had working as reel mechanic now I see it's either Moe Larry or Curley  ::)

Of course a person can always mail their reel to http://www.mikesreelrepair.com but dealing with Shimano in Peterborough is just as easy and less cost.

Fish Assasin-a couple of weeks.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 11:39:20 AM »

In all fairness I should conclude that they finally saw it my way and replaced my reel.  I am now the owner of a calcutta 400B which is the new model ( they no longer make the 400).  It looks to be quite similar except there is now one more screw on the side plate, the handles are slightly larger, the clicker is now partially rubberized and the gear ratio is now slightly higher (5.0 rather than 4.7).  A few weeks ago I went out and my reel (the 400) stopped working all together ( I couldn't even reel in line). In the midst of not having a working reel and being fed up with Shimano I bought a Daiwa millionaire CV-Z 300A which has a silky smooth drag + retrieve and a sideplate which is easily removed to adjust the cast control. You simply turn a blue ring to one of four settings rather than taking apart your reel and adding or removing brake weights.  This makes adjusting the casting control a breeze as it can be done right on the flow. The Gear ratio on the Daiwa is 5.1, it has 6 ball bearings and holds 250 yds of 20lb rather than 160yds. Since the gear ratios on my new reels are only slightly higher I'm hoping the sacrifice in cranking power will be minimal. The retrieve on my Daiwa is far easier than that of my old 400, which I assume will be true for the 400B considering it too has a higher gear ratio.  I did manage to land one spring about 20lbs on the Daiwa but I have yet to test it on a tyee or sturgeon.  So in the end I'm glad I now have a shimano reel in working condition (especially since I spent $300 bucks to buy the thing in the first place)  and having two reels means I can keep fishing if I have technical difficulties with one of them.  I'm eager to test out my 400B but I've been unable to get out due to a strained back + shoulder.  It's been two weeks now since I've been out on the flow  :( and I think this weekend I may just go regardless.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 12:42:14 PM by Eagleye »

mojoman

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2005, 03:26:20 PM »

I have a Shimano 12 ft noodle rod....busted it twice...once on a horny Skamania bout 7 lbs....and once on a missed hook set that saw the tip hit an overhead cable...never busted a flyrod tho....lol....shop owner had no probs with warranty......just my experience...;))

mojo
Lou will turn things around with his game and the Canucks will make their way back to the top of their division... Canuck's have a great chance of going all the way this year... maybe you can save this post so I can say I told you so in a couple of months Smiley