Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 12 Hours Later Back On Bar Again July 22  (Read 2247 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
12 Hours Later Back On Bar Again July 22
« on: July 23, 2005, 06:34:36 PM »

After returning from Thursday trip I was down at the fastball pitch tying up some loose ends for the All Star and league playoff final night this coming week. after the games I ran into to Lisa whose team got eliminated that night. She mentioned that she would like to go bar fishing with her friend Sam and his mother Cathy. As Rodney and Nina could not come at the last momenent I said I knew the Hot Spot to take them to. ;D ;D

The alarm jarred me awake at 4 am and the first order of buisness was to write the story about yesterday's trip.

The Leaf Craft was still loaded from yesterday so we were easily on the road in time to stop for a Tim Horton's coffee before reaching the gate that opens at Island 22 at 6 am. I remembered even to put on my Maple Leaf Hat as an extra good luck charm. ( actually I am  so excited about the new season just ahead bought a new hat today so to be ready for the parade that will be rolling, rolling rolling right along  ;D ;D ;D and down Younge Street after the Blue and White capture the Cup in a few months time. Must also book my flight to Toronto to take in the Cup final)

I arrive at the boat launch at 6:04 and the mad scramble is on as the boats are being quickly launched, reminds you of a Vancouver rush hour. Lisa has her boat in the water with Cathy aboard and Sam will ride with me.

The LC is again a little cranky to start, but we do not need to hurry as most of the ones in a hurry are the bb ing crowd who are racing each other I guess to get a prime spot at Grassy. The bar fishing crowd are alot more relaxed anyway. ;D

Arriving at MLB we  get into the "Hot Spot" and I tell Lisa where to position her group's 3 rods and I settle mine into the lowest positon, to get the first chance at the fish as they swim into the trench about 60 feet or so out. ;D

A couple of guide boats are also there and the two rod's owners above us are bb ing, on MLB. ??? :o. Actually they give it up later especially after seeing what was going to happen. ;D

While I am at the LC, Cathy's rod goes off, I grap the video camera and film the action. As she beachs it we see it is a sockeye, a very rare occurance on a bar setup. I have maybe seen 4 or 5 caught in over 30 years of bar fishing, it does happen but rarely. Actually talking to Harold in the mall today and he told me he and his wife have never caught one bar fishing and they have fished a lot longer than me.

With the fish released we build a fire as a light rain is falling and the bugs are out in fair numbers so the smoke and the heatr from the fire will help keep them at bay. I grab a bag of prepared fire starter from the LC. I make them up ahead of time, pitch, some birch bark, pine cones and dry pine needles. It works very well, your tip for the day. In no time the fire is blazing as wood that has been deposited by past high waters is gathered from behind us. Wood that has drifted down maybe as far upstream as the blunt nosed chinooks we are seeking are going on the way to their natal streams, their birth place.

We settle into our lawn chairs and are as comfortable as you can be although I question Lisa being out in shorts with all these bitting critters around. I hate them and are dressed to the nine with my Helly Hanson waders, a hoody, a coat and gloves on, to hopefully deter them.

Around 10 I believe it is, Cathy's rod explodes and a good sized fish breaks water well out in the Fraser's murky water, Cathy now, has never caught a fish before and here she is tackling a fair sized blunt nose. Sam and Lisa are helping her and giving advice. ;D ;D

I am busy filming Cathy and the action and all of a sudden the top rod begins a wild dance in its rod holder, A DOUBLE HEADER. ;D ;D

Lisa runs a lot faster than I have ever seen her on the base paths and charges through the water at a speed that would make Ben Johnson jealous. Lisa's shoes come flying off so she runs the last part in bare feet. :o

I grab them as they float by me. I donot know who to train the camera on and in the excitement my filming is a bit to be desired, they would not think much of me at Global TV today but hey the footage might be good for America's Funniest or Squires Barnes satellite debris. ;D ;D

Sam is helping Cathy with her fish that now has tangled around my line. If she loses it I will feel I should have pulled my pole in, instead of filming but if we get these fish in it will be a good souvenir to have it on tape.

Lisa's fish is smaller so I leave Sam and Cathy to continue with her fish, I grap the other net from the LC and continue rolling tape.  ;D When watching it one could become a little sea sick. I net Lisa's fish one handed with my 10 pound camera in the other hand. I luckly do not blow it and sucesssfully net it. I hand the net and fish to Lisa and head back to the others who are just getting untangled from my pole as I continue to film.

Lisa still bare footed now comes down to do the honours on Cathy's fish that is now tiring quickly. Lisa who is a very seasoned fisher after learning the craft from her dad Nestor over the years does not miss and Cathy has her first fish ever, a good sized one too. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

We head back to camp to weigh the two blunt noses and celebrate our success.

Lisa fish pulls my digital scales to 18 pounds - 2 ounces while Cathy's is very pleased to see hers tip the scales at 25 pounds - 8 ounces a very fine fish for her first ever.
The pressure, if there every was any is now off as I take Lisa back to the launch in the LC to pick up her and Sam's kids so they can enjoy the now sunny weather after a few morning showers that have now passed.

I have 10 minutes to go before Lisa gets back so I go for for a boat ride downstream and check out the scene while Lisa goes to get the kids. I count 51 rods bb ing and about half that many bar fishing. I see a BB boat leave their anchored spot drifting downstream fighting a fish. I see they are having trouble netting it and I see why, they have a extremely long leader. ??? I then see they try to hand line it in towards the net but I believe they lose it but I am not sure as I wait no longer to watch this circus act. ::)

Back to the lauch and on the way I observe how the bank is caving in at Island 22, too bad to be losing such a nice camping site. I wonder if it would help if they would cut the leaning cottonwood trees down just leaving the stumps. It would maybe help a bit by taking some of the pressure off, anyway it would be a safety thing I am sure of. I heard some boat was travelling to close last week and just about got hit by one falling in at this area. Remember at all times to keep well away from the bank area, along any river where there is tall and large trees.

The girls enjoy getting wet and all things not fishing related that they like doing while out on a bar. I try to get a nap but are interrupted by a cel call from 2:40 and 2 fish that Sam has on but loses. The girls are certainly out fishing us this day. I am left alone around 5 as the rest have to go to Lisa's and Sam's 2 pitch tourney that starts at 6:30.

I stick it out to 9 but my pole continues to stand still, so I head for home very satisfied that I may have helped my guests on Maple Leaf Bar get fish two days in a row. Things are certainly rolling, rolling, rolling right along there. ;D ;D ;D

Took the day off today but maybe will do a short trip after church tomorrow and then will be out with Gwyn and "The Master" on Monday as we prepare for our meeting with the new Environment Minister Barry Penner and Al Martens to present the petition a number you have signed re the bait ban proposal. We have an hour meeting with them and with "The Master" along we will be able to make a strong case to leave things well enough alone.

Will post the pictures of the girl's fish soon.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2005, 05:54:33 PM by Rodney »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: 12 Hours Later Back On Bar Again.
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2005, 07:21:55 PM »

Lisa and Cathy's chinook salmon

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2005, 08:15:30 PM »

wow! those are 2 very clean fish. congrats to the women on their catch.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2005, 09:54:05 PM »

Rodey! how can you turn down a day of bar fishing with the CG!
Chris you really know how to fish, good report too!
The Bigger The Better!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2005, 10:34:57 PM »

Rodey! how can you turn down a day of bar fishing with the CG!

Probably because he got tired of listening to the history of the Make Beliefs !  ;D Don't blame Rodney in the least !

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2005, 12:05:21 PM »

Fantastic report.  They are all excellent to read and great pics of some nice fish.