Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: bottom bouncing ???  (Read 8115 times)

oddjob

• woof woof
bottom bouncing ???
« on: July 13, 2005, 10:46:02 AM »

my success with bottom bouncing is only so so. my question is can bottom bouncing be done using lighter bouncing betties  in slower moving water? why is all the bottom bouncing done above mission?  ??? ??? ???  at peg leg we were using 3 or 4 oz weights because the current was fast, if we find a spot with alot less currrent why can't we use 1oz and get the same effect .

Rieber

• Old Timer
Re: bottom bouncing ???
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 01:00:02 PM »

In slow moving water you use a shorter leader and pencil lead. The amount of lead will depend on how far you need to cast and the current speed. So, cast out and after you've hit bottom I reel the rod down to take the slack out of the line then slowly raise the rod up and back feeling for the take. Reel the rod down again and repeat. I used to catch a ton of Walleye out in Castleger that way using a 4-6 foot leader and a piece of dew worm.

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 01:40:51 PM »

when sockeye opens and you do not have a boat, the question is can a person bottom bounce in slower water to get away from the crowd ??? ??? ??? .i don't bottom bounce until the sockeye opens. the usual places are to crowded for my likings.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 02:28:19 PM »

Your not asking the right question.

Bottom bouncing can be a productive (a ethical and) fishing method.  Can it be applied to slow water sockeye? NO

really the correct term for the sockeye fishery is flossing.  Calling flossing bottom bouncing does an injustice to bottom bouncers with short leades, bait, spin n glo's etc AND WHO ARE ATTRACTING A BITE.

Flossing requires current to create a sweep in your presentation.  As the weight arks across the river bottom the hook trailing.  the more leader between the hook and weight, the more chance a fish will come between the two and catch the line in its mouth.  the weight then quickly draws the hook into the corner of the fishes mouth and whammo...fish on.

Slow currents wont allow for that sweeping action, it may not stretch the leader out as much, and the slower speed probably give a fish mre time to react to the line in its face.

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2005, 03:02:16 PM »

thanks Gooey  you gave me the answer to the question i was asking.

scalper66

• here fishy fishy
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2005, 06:15:47 PM »

do you need a boat to get to peg leg?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2005, 06:24:12 PM »

No

scalper66

• here fishy fishy
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2005, 06:26:54 PM »

next question how do you get to pegleg and is there anything bieng caught there

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2005, 06:43:23 PM »

Oddjob,

When the water gets low enough that you can easily walk onto Gill Bar you will find that the water is really too slow to bottom bounce the same way as you would in the mainstream. But believe me when I say use pencil lead and a short 10-12# leader and #2 hook with a little green wool cast out and just tap it in but hold on. You report back to this site if these Sockeye chase and take it in the mouth. What's nice is that bar is virtually barren from fishermen because there is no current but the fish are there - boy are they ever there. I'm on a boat now so I don't mind sharing the walk in places. There's nothing new about Gill Road - just people have forgotten how to fish some of these places.

Fishingbum

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2005, 07:22:42 PM »

Peg Leg is currently under water and will be for the next couple of weeks, by the time Sockeye opens there will be some foot access to Peg Leg but not much.

Ian
Ian S

scalper66

• here fishy fishy
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2005, 10:45:49 AM »

what about at laidlaw anyone catching anything?

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2005, 09:52:38 PM »

how do i get to gill bar. gill bar is not on the main channel from what i can remember .

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2005, 10:07:22 PM »

Gill road is about a quarter to a third the way between Pegleg and the Agazzii bridge. The water will be in the parking lot right now. Too high.

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2005, 12:05:03 PM »

when the water is lower and the parking lot is dry ,are we just fishing in the slough right out front rather than the main river ?

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2005, 02:17:53 PM »

I thought the remedy for slow water snagging (flossing if you will) was to strike once for each foot of bottom covered rather than the usual one strike per five feet of bottom covered in the quicker water.  :P :P :P :P :P ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?