Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chironomids  (Read 25623 times)

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
Re:Chironomids
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2004, 07:54:38 PM »

I may be confused with dry fly fishing however, because I know fish at times with attempt to "drown" an insect before attacking a second time.  ???
Most often the case.......Trout will try and "paralyze" the insect so it will be injured and not have a chance of jumping or flying away. Witnessed last weekend a person I was fishing with casting back and forth with a Sedge and a nice thick Trout keep rising at it. With dries it is a great idea to put some Aqua floatant on the wingcase, rather then feeling for a fish taking it, it can be witnessed on the surface.  

TtotheE

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2004, 10:06:13 PM »

I was tubing on Lost Lake when I witnessed a traveller sedge flapping its way off the water.  Since it had just begun its life in flight it was fluttering very close to the surface.  I've always wondered what trout were doing jumping out of the water and this perhaps answered it for me(at least in this case).  A trout jumped vertically out of the water attempting to take the fly mid flight!  But not only once (since it failed), but FOUR times! Eventually the sedge won as it was able to fly away.  Needless to say a well greased Mikulak Sedge worked great and boy do they slam em hard. ;D

TtotheE

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2004, 11:51:09 PM »

Interesting. Just a follow up on one of the posts in this thread. A description from the handbook:

artificial fly...a single-pointed hook that is dressed only fur, feathers, hair, textiles, tinsel and/or wire, and to which no external weight or external attracting device is attached. Two or more hooks tied in tandem not permitted. Where gear is restricted to artificial flies, floats and sinkers may be attached to the line.

Does this mean in "fly fish only" waters, you ARE allowed to use an indicator and split shot?

btw I enjoy reading the info on the chironomids on this thread over and over and over.... ;D

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2004, 12:11:51 AM »

Does this mean in "fly fish only" waters, you ARE allowed to use an indicator and split shot?

btw I enjoy reading the info on the chironomids on this thread over and over and over.... ;D
fly fishing....angling with a line to which only an artificial fly is attached (floats and sinkers may not be attached to the line).

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2004, 12:13:07 AM »

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/2004/0804_01.html
 8) Thanks for getting it set-up Rodney.  :)

FlyNut

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2004, 09:49:54 AM »

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/2004/0804_01.html
 8) Thanks for getting it set-up Rodney.  :)

Love the content of that Link!  Thanks for pointing it out T.S.  And thanks for Rodney for setting it up as well :)  Maybe Rodney can add stuff to it as we go along, based on his experience and the feedback of the community.  I think it will become one formidable resource for Chiro fishing.

retiredfish

Re: Chironomids
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2005, 05:12:44 PM »

My poor man quick release indicator.  15 cents for little corky.  Tube from canned air, wd-40 etc.  drill bit to reem out little corky same diameter as tube.  Tried it today worked great.

tight lines,
Daryle

Headstone

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2005, 06:19:48 AM »

..great read Aaron.

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2005, 12:44:08 AM »

..great read Aaron.
Hey Darren, maybe you could post here a little more often eh. ;)