Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Resolving Fraser River conflicts, the beginning  (Read 5299 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Resolving Fraser River conflicts, the beginning
« on: July 08, 2005, 05:55:42 PM »

July 8, 2005

I just returned from Chilliwack, so here's an update on what has taken place. The first dialogue session between Fraser River Recreational anglers and First Nations took place this morning from 9:30am to 12:30pm. I was both honoured and intimidated to be sitting in a conference room with several of my colleagues and 7 or 8 First Nations chiefs from the Fraser Valley. Before I go on, the meeting was a positive one, and some progress has been made.

The suggestion of a dialogue session was originally put forward back in September 2004. A timeline of what has taken place since then can be found on this page. Prior to this meeting, a letter from us was sent to the Sto:Lo Tribal Council, the letter can be viewed here.

Upper Fraser Sportfishing Advisory Committee
Five members of the Upper Fraser Sportfishing Advisory Committee represented the Fraser River recreational angling sector. They are:

Frank Kwak - Fraser Valley Salmon Society
Gwyn Joiner - Chilliwack Fish and Games Club
Nick Basok - Independent anglers
Dean Werk - Fraser Valley Angling Guides Association
Myself - Chilliwack Vedder River Cleanup Coalition

The following is a list of the assocations that represent the Upper Fraser SFAC:

BC Federation of Drift Fishers
Fraser Valley Salmon Society
Chilliwack Fish and Game Club
Hope Rod and Gun Club
Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
Fraser Valley Angling Guides Association
Sports Fishing Defence Alliance
BC Wildlife Federation
Chilliwack River Action Committee
Chilliwack Vedder River Cleanup Coalition
Fraser River Sturgeon Conservation Society

The UF SFAC is a voice for the organized anglers (those who are affiliated with one of the above mentioned groups) from Mission to Hope. It is one of 17 committees that reports to the South Coast Sports Fishing Advisory Board (SFAB). The South Coast SFAB then feeds into the provincial advisory board. I hope this provides a better understanding on the structure of this organized body.

First Nations Representatives
I do not have a full list of the chiefs and directors who attended, but will have that later. The FN governed bodies that attended included:

Sto:Lo Tribal Council
Sto:Lo Nations
Five independent bands: Peters, Yale, Chehalis, Skwah, Union Bar

Side note: It was very educational to have them explaining the overall structure of their government. To tap into issues, one needs to understand the other parties and I think we have achieved that today.

Discussion
Today's meeting is only a small step of the entire process. We spent a great deal of time learning who each others are, basically "hi". ;)

The topics discussed today included perspectives of future relationships, and what needs to focused on in the next few meetings. Meeting minutes is currently unavailable, and I will have that shown to you all once it is.

The next meeting date has been decided - July 27th, 2005. There is a sense of urgency that we need to have the discussions done before the peak of the salmon season arrives, but at the same time both parties understand this is a long term process that requires time and patience.

So finally, the first meeting took place after several obstacles since January. It was fantastic to see all representatives from the FN sector attended, which shows a willingness to make positive changes. It's useless to have these dialogue sessions if the public is not informed, so I will do my best to post all updates in the future once available.

Part two of today's meeting coming up, dinner time for now. ;) Part two will include some of the main issues that were discussed, and how you can make things better for all individuals who utilize the Fraser River.

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
Re: Resolving Fraser River conflicts, the beginning
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2005, 06:26:34 PM »

Thank's Rodney and all of you involved.
Great start.

Randog

• Ultimate Sportfishing Adventures
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2005, 08:06:14 PM »

well done Rod, looks like a good step in the right direction. Keep up the good work :)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2005, 10:30:26 PM »

Back in May, the first of the four questions that the Sto:Lo tribal Council asked was, "What is our constituency as recreational anglers?"

The same concern was addressed once again during the introduction by them today.

The reason is simple. They would like to know how well can our representatives relay the information discussed during the meeting to all recreational anglers. The Upper Fraser Sportfishing Advisory Committee only voices for the organized anglers, the ones who are affiliated with a club, society or federation. How are we going to deliver the issues and solutions addressed to those who are not affiliated with these groups?

When the chiefs attend these meetings, they are able to bring the messages back to every single one in the tribe.

It's understandable why it is important to assure them our representation can make a difference. There is no point for them to make the effort to attend these meetings if the message cannot be delivered.

The Fraser Valley Salmon Society has roughly 600 members. The federation of driftfishers has over 1,000. This is only a small % of the overall angling population. Beside broadcasting the information through various internet discussion forums, websites, tacklestores, other media (magazines, newsletter, newspaper), there will always be a group of anglers who are not informed. We assured them that the issue is recognized and we will do our best to satisfy their concerns.

This brings up an important point. It is in your best interest to be affiliated with an angling group. Not only you are financially supporting the organization, you will have a voice through the proper channels to make a difference. Your concerns can be addressed at your local club meetings, which can further be delivered to the advisory committee meetings, and changes can be made. There are numerous groups that offer membership, I'm sure any of you can find one that satisfies your own interests. By joining, you strengthen the unified angling voice, which can only make things better.

This weekend I will compile a list of groups that anglers can join.

End of part two. :) Part three coming tomorrow after fishing. ;)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2005, 11:53:32 AM »

We are one week away from the second meeting and this came out today. Gotta love the media.

British Columbia News

Conflict brewing over salmon fishery

MARK HUME
667 words
19 July 2005
The Globe and Mail
S1
English
All material copyright Bell Globemedia Publishing Inc. or its licensors. All rights reserved.

VANCOUVER -- A collapse of early sockeye salmon runs has set the stage for a summer of conflict on the Fraser River.

At issue — as always on the troubled waters of Canada's most productive salmon river — is a debate about how many fish there are and who gets to catch them.

Sports anglers, who are targeting chinook salmon and releasing alive any sockeye they catch, are the only group legally fishing on the Fraser this week. But native fishermen, claiming aboriginal rights, have been setting drift nets on the river in protest. On the weekend, enforcement officers from the Department of Fisheries and Oceans seized nets and threatened charges.

Ernie Crey, a fisheries spokesman for the Sto:lo Tribal Council, said native leaders have been meeting to decide what course of action to follow next.

He said more protest fisheries are possible.

Mr. Crey said the Sto:lo recognize there are conservation concerns with a run of early Stuart sockeye, but don't accept that chinook stocks are also in trouble.

“We've had a number of tests, and we know that with large mesh nets we can avoid sockeye and only catch chinook,” Mr. Crey said. “When we presented that to DFO, they came back and said, ‘We're worried about chinook, too.' But that can't be. They've got sports anglers all the way from Hope to the mouth of Fraser, and we know they are catching sockeye as well as chinook.”

Vicky Husband, of the Sierra Club of British Columbia, said yesterday that nobody should be catching salmon on the Fraser now because the current runs aren't sustainable.

She called on DFO to close the sport fishery.

“Without a closure of sports angling, they can't close anything, because aboriginal rights come first,” Ms. Husband said.

“The early Stuart sockeye run has collapsed, and it looks like the chinook run has too. We can't understand why any fishery is taking place under these conditions.”

Salmon start returning to the Fraser River early in the spring and continue to build throughout the summer and into the fall. Five species of salmon return to spawn in hundreds of tributaries in the Fraser watershed.

One of those runs, known as the early Stuart sockeye, has a long-term average of 900,000 fish. This year, about 260,000 fish were expected back, but as the sockeye approached, the Fraser test nets led to a radical revision of estimates.

The run is now thought to be 35,000 fish.

“It looks like a disaster,” Ms. Husband said.

Phil Eidsvik of the Fisheries Survival Coalition agreed the river should be closed to all fishing.

“There shouldn't be anybody out there,” said Mr. Eidsvik, whose group represents commercial fishermen.

He said concerns about chinook are justified.

“The test net usually gets 100 chinook a day at this time of the summer,” Mr. Eidsvik said. “But they have been getting two or three a day.”

Paul Ryall, a DFO spokesman, said while chinook numbers are low, fisheries managers do not yet have a conservation concern about the species.

“We are keeping a close watch on it, and we're getting a mixed picture,” he said, indicating DFO is monitoring the run through the test fishery, and by watching what the sports fishermen are catching.

He said the chinook run is typically small at this time of year and is more difficult to assess.

With the more abundant sockeye run, however, the picture is clear.

“It is the lowest on record,” Mr. Ryall said.

He said sports anglers aren't hurting the sockeye run, however, because they aren't catching very many of them.

During the first week of July, for example, sports anglers caught and released 90 sockeye.

“We estimate only nine mortalities,” he said. “If the fishery is selective and not impacting on early Stuart sockeye, that's why we'd keep that fishery open.”

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2005, 12:14:57 PM »

One thing I cant understand is why everyone thinks that drift netting salmon is part of native heritage, or an aboriginal right. If they want salmon for food or ceremonial purposes why not fish with a rod and reel? they dont even need to buy licenses. If they were to fish the way their ancestors did, with nets woven out of cedar bark, and spear fish that might be acceptable.  I realize the native community can use all the money it can get, but getting that money from the netting and selling of salmon isnt right. As far as the low Stuart runs, I would like to know why they are so low, is it from over fishing by the commercial guys? or is it an envirormental issue, if it is the later then it is just nature taking its course and we shouldnt worry so much about them. After all we cannot cool down the water temperatures to provide a better habitat for them.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2005, 12:18:47 PM »

At this point it appears to be environmental. 90% of the early Stuart run are expected to pass through by the end of this week. Even if they are late, the number will still be much lower than first anticipated. Low marine survival appears to be the key, but the causes of this low survival are still unknown.

miketheflyguy

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2005, 05:06:24 PM »

Well what does this mean for our summer and late summer socks? will there be less of them as well?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2005, 11:39:58 PM »

Well what does this mean for our summer and late summer socks? will there be less of them as well?

Go to this post. At this point, there appears to be no connection between low early Stuart fish and summer stocks.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2005, 07:47:22 AM »

hey rod...even though i do not agree on some of your opinions...excellent to have your participation and representation of us fisherman...i think you are fair minded (most of the time LOL)....we should chip in to give you a case of beer at least for your work...

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2005, 07:58:56 AM »

What?! You don't agree with me ALL the time? :o :P ;)

Thanks. I don't drink beer though.... :-[ but I would be happy to take a fishing rod instead. ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2005, 09:38:57 AM »

Re the article by Mr Hume he tried to contact a few of us to give our side of the picture but most of us were away fishing so could not meet his press time.

I have made contact with him and have offered to take him out on the river if he is interested, the good part I believe he is a Leaf Fan so will ride in the Leaf Craft. Seroiusly I have made contact with one of our local guiding companies so they will try to accomadate him.

The local press will also be going out with us at some time.

With the Fraser now clearing, bar fishing is improving, now is the time to try to fish selectively with Early Stuarts still in the river bar fishing is the way to avoid catching them. Fishing selectively at this time will only help not only help these depressed stocks and the politics involved as you can see in Hume's article can end up hurting the recreational angler in the long run.

For those that like to bb for sockeye I am sure some can wait until the Summers are in and FOC grants an opening for the recreational angler. The hope is that the large run does materialize so alll; sectors can harvest them at a reasonable amount. for me I can hardly wait until my bar rod bell rings, I think it will be this week. ;D ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2005, 03:03:49 PM »

Just to keep everyone updated, the second meeting took place this morning from 9:30am to noon. It was constructive with some of our differences being discussed. I'll have more information later on today or tomorrow when I get a chance to go over my notes.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2005, 05:20:16 PM »

Edit: Minutes of the first meeting (July 8th) is available by email request. (Provided by Fraser Basin Council, MS Word document)

I hope this detailed document gives the readers a better understanding on the direction where this process is heading. Comments on the second meeting come later, have not had any time to go over my notes.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2005, 10:24:27 AM »

After some briefing since last night, the SFAC has decided that the minutes to be kept off the public forum, but will be available by email request. I will instead (when time permits) type up a summary of what has taken place etc to keep the readers informed.

No comments since my last update? You people realize it's not sockeye season yet right?