Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Flyfishing for coho in Bamfield  (Read 2438 times)

roeman

Flyfishing for coho in Bamfield
« on: July 06, 2005, 04:14:13 PM »

Thinking of buying a couple of set ups for fly fishing for coho in Bamfield, I am heading over in mid August. Does anyone have any info or better yet have fly fished for coho at that time of year in Bamfield..  I am assuming you have to find kelp beds to target coho on the fly, is this true.  I have seen Mark Pendlington do it on Sports fishing Bc, but not sure of the location.
I am over there for a week, so I a guessing fishing with downriggers will get a little boring after a week, any info would be appreciated.......thanks
Are you fishin or catchin

allwaysfishin

Re: Flyfishing for coho in Bamfield
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 07:06:12 PM »

buck tails in the prop wash behind the boat will take coho, the fly only needs to be 10 to 15 feet behind the engine in the the wash something to do when you are trolling on the riggers and you know you have coho around, hold on tight, they can really surprise you..... i mean it.
on the kelp beds or baitballs a needlefish pattern or clousers will work very well.
i use a 375 grain sinking line on a 9 wt with a 6 to 12 foot leader of 12 to 15 lbs florocarbon with a 8 to 12lbs tippet.
you may opt for a lighter rod but i would keep it 8wt or bigger. coho can run over 20lbs on the west side. you may do what i did as well and hook up with a 30lbs plus spring like i did at nootka last year. I'm glad i had my 9wt loomis i tell ya!!
i'm no pro at this but this is the advice i was given when i got set up.
after exhaustively searching rods and reels I ended up with a 9wt 9ft, gloomis crosscurrent saltwater fly rod
islander fr3 fly reel although if you can afford it get an islander LX3 or 3.5 ( the FR3 doubles as my mooching/trolling reel as well)
S/A clear coho type 1 sinking striper line
cortland 375 ( maybe it's a 325) grain sinking line
the initial cost of a set up like this is over 1000.00 but worth every penny if you are going to put it to regular use in saltwater.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2005, 07:10:18 PM by allwaysfishin »

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
Re: Flyfishing for coho in Bamfield
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2005, 03:59:07 PM »

7 or 8 wt w/ sink tip is all you need. In August there will usually be large schools of bait off Point Beale. The coho and springs will be actively pushing them to the surface, especially at slack tide. Watch for the bird activity, they're the giveaway. Can be a fantatsic fishery!! One afternoon the end of last July, hit 70 + coho up to 15 pounds, and 3 springs, right on top with a buddy! Bone-Jarring takes at close range, loads of air time, arms that literally ached and trembled, and a smile you couldn't scrub off with a wire brush  ;)

Enjoy!!  ;D

Cheers,
Nog
« Last Edit: July 07, 2005, 04:01:11 PM by IronNoggin »