Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More than one rod ????  (Read 6174 times)

oddjob

• woof woof
More than one rod ????
« on: June 26, 2005, 01:27:42 PM »

Why do people use more than one rod even after you tell them its against the law??? I want to sassamat this morning there were three  people fishing with 5 rods . I told them the its against the regulations , all there reactions were a shrug of there shoulders and no understand.

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
Re: More than one rod ????
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2005, 01:40:18 PM »

Because there are  some ignorant people out there, who do not obey the regs and thinking they'll get away. Did you report them?

johnny

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2005, 01:41:29 PM »

Why do people use more than one rod even after you tell them its against the law??? I want to sassamat this morning there were three  people fishing with 5 rods . I told them the its against the regulations , all there reactions were a shrug of there shoulders and no understand.
True, except of course unless you are by yourself, then you are allowed to use 2 rods...
Never let the truth get in the way of a perfectly good story...

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2005, 01:52:49 PM »

2 rods only if your alone on a boat

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2005, 04:05:52 PM »

I thought only more than one rod is allowed if fishing tidal?

Roots

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2005, 04:07:31 PM »

I fish at Sasamat quite often, and I see multiple rods being used all the time. Either people just don't know, or they just don't care. Each time I see this I ask the people if they are aware of what they're doing, citing the regs, ethics, and just the fact that multiple rods take up the space that should be available to other fishermen.

I've also seen people fish with treble hooks, on a spinner or under a float! But these people tend to be newbies that just don't know better. With some explanation of the damage treble hooks cause to smaller hooked fish, they usually seem to be almost thankful for the tip - I find that the newbies usually wanna fit it and not make the seasoned fishermen angry - so they seem to be more open to suggestions. I've also donated a few barbless hooks to these people as a replacement for the trebles.

I've never seen the CO's show up after being notified, at least not for anything other than sturgeon. So I guess it is up to the fishing community to put pressure on these multiple-rod fishermen.... intimidation works wonders!

I guess we just have to take things into our own hands  ...

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2005, 04:15:57 PM »

Because there are  some ignorant people out there,

Totally agree. I can sympathize if someone is a newbie though.

The_Roe_Man

• I like ROE!
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2005, 05:47:36 PM »

Arn't trebles legal in lakes. It says in the regs that they are illigal in streams and sloughs.
I like ROE

Roots

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2005, 02:10:01 AM »

Sorry Roe_Man, I was referring to river fishing when talking about treble hooks... I shouldn't have jumped liked that - I should have made it more clear. I'm not sure about trebles in lakes. I've always been against them as I've seen too many small injured fish being put back into the water. I think single hooks are better as the longer shank actually increases the chances that the fish will be hooked properly. At least that's what I like to believe....

legend

• There's no nookie like Chinookie
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2005, 05:46:10 AM »

you should know the regs and completely, understand them before wetting a line period. Being a newbie not an acceptable excuse a law is a law. If a sixteen year old just gets his drivers license then goes a 100mph through a school zone gets pulled over and tells the cops im a newbie should he get let off NO !!.

The_Roe_Man

• I like ROE!
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2005, 10:26:58 AM »

Roots, i agee with you completely.  No need for them when trout fishing.
I like ROE

Zaphod

• Amateur hook rinser
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2005, 11:12:59 AM »

No need for them when trout fishing.

My position on treble hooks is neutral, but for the record, I don't use them even when fishing lakes in the Lower Mainland.

However, your post made me genuinely wonder (meaning, I'm not asking this question rhetorically or sarcastically): if there's no need for trebles when trout fishing, when, where or for what species is it advantageous to use trebles, and why?

I'm originally from Saskatchewan and used trebles there always when fishing for walleye and pike, but I never really thought about hook choice until I moved here and discovered the near religious aversion that most fishermen in the LM have to treble hooks.  To anyone who is tempted to reply angrily and give me a stern lecture about the evils of treble hooks: I do realize the conservation benefits of using single barbless, and as I said, I don't use trebles at all in the LM out of respect for the fact that there is certainly much higher fishing pressure on stocks here than there is where I came from.  So, no need for a lecture.  ;)

Roots

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2005, 02:18:10 PM »

From one point of view, if the fish is going to end up in your frying pan, what difference does it make what hook you use. But these days, as fish conservation becomes an increasingly important topic, I just don't think treble hooks are the best choice. Long time ago when fish stocks were plentiful this might not have been a concern. These days backing away from treble hooks is the least we can do to help out mother nature. Treble hooks have had their place in history, but that's about it, they should be history.

People use treble hooks up north in BC all the time, whether it's fishing for pike or walleye. For pike, they can have an advantage because their bony jaw makes it a tiny bit harder to get a good hook-set, and the 3 prongs offer a better chance that the fish will stay on the hook. But people fish for pike on the fly all the time as well, and if they can haul in big pike on a single barbless hook, this just proves that it can be done.

I don't think the regs actually specify a 'single' hook for the lakes. I guess this leaves room for personal preference, but practicing this courtesy can help you learn a lot about humility.  ;)  Sorry, I didn't mean to make this sound like a lecture... just a point of view.

Zaphod

• Amateur hook rinser
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2005, 02:26:55 PM »

I knew I was going to get at least one lecture/statement of opinion when I asked that question, no problem. ;)

Again, for the record, I agree with you.  I was asking the question just out of curiosity.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2005, 11:22:45 AM »

However, your post made me genuinely wonder (meaning, I'm not asking this question rhetorically or sarcastically): if there's no need for trebles when trout fishing, when, where or for what species is it advantageous to use trebles, and why?

The only time I use treble hooks is when I'm using buzzbombs in the salt.  I find that if I use singles the hook won't stay on straight.