Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steamed fish  (Read 6644 times)

No_way

Steamed fish
« on: June 26, 2005, 01:27:14 AM »

This is a classical Chinese technique I've picked up.  It is now my default way to cook fish.   

This is an all purpose recipe for any small whole fish.  WORKS GREAT!  The size of the fish is limited by the size of your steamer.  Fantastic for trout, perch, carp, tilapia, anything.

1.  Clean the fish and scale if it has large scales
2.  Cut a number of shallow, diagonal slits along both sides of the fish.  If it fits in the steamer be sure to leave the head on; the cheeks are the very best part.
3.  Lay some long pieces of green onion on a plate to stop the fish from sticking (the plate must fit in the steamer)
4.  Set the fish on the onion and sprinkle with shredded ginger.  The ginger helps to kill off any "fishy" or "muddy" tastes, making this great for carp.
5.  season the fish how you want (I use some soy sauce, sea salt, black pepper, and shredded red chillies)
6.  Let the fish sit while getting the steamer hot (a bamboo steamer over a wok of simmering water works best, but what ever works, right?).  Place the fish in the steamer and cook until the dorsal fin pulls out easily.   

7.  (optional) heat some vegetable and seasame oil in a pan, transfer the fish to a platter and slowly pour the hot oil over the fish.  It adds some flavor and gives the skin a crispy texture with a nice appearance.

Eat with rice.

You've never had moister fish in your life!  The fish can be separated from the skin and the bone using a pair of spoons VERY easily.   

Let me know what you think.  It's a nice change from the frying pan.

Roots

Re: Steamed fish
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2005, 11:58:46 AM »

Wonderful recipe No_way. This recipe is especially good for bony fish, as you can just pick-off the meat with chopsticks.

It you're making this during a hot summer day, a nice salad can go really well with this recipe. To the salad you can add whatever, thinly grated carrots, tomatoes, etc... Here some simple Japanese salad dressing recipes that I like with steamed fish. Try one.... (they make about 2 servings)

Basic Japanese Salad Dressing
•   2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
•   5 tbsp vegetable oil
•   1 tbsp soy sauce
•   1/2 tsp sugar
Onion Flavor Japanese Salad Dressing
•   3 tbsp rice wine vinegar
•   4 tbsp vegetable oil
•   1 tsp soy sauce
•   1/2 tsp sugar
•   1 tbsp grated onion
Sesame Flavor Japanese Salad Dressing  
•   3 tbsp rice wine vinegar
•   1 tbsp sesame oil
•   1 tbsp soy sauce
•   1 tsp sugar
•   1/2 tbsp sake rice wine
•   1 tsp grated white sesame
Ginger Flavor Japanese Salad Dressing
•   2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
•   3 tbsp vegetable oil
•   1 tbsp sesame oil
•   1 tbsp soy sauce
•   1/2 tsp sugar
•   1 tsp sake
•   1 tsp grated ginger

I'm starting to get hungry...  :P

« Last Edit: June 26, 2005, 12:01:40 PM by Roots »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Steamed fish
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2005, 12:16:40 PM »

I've had this before with rockfish. Absolutely delicious.