Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Three days On Merritt Lakes With The Master  (Read 4912 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Three days On Merritt Lakes With The Master
« on: June 01, 2005, 10:39:59 PM »

A very brief note on the Master and my annual lake fishing trip to the Merritt area.

Just got in from day two of our three day trip. Of course the Master showed me up both days. :D Today he landed 11 today to my 2, and I lost about 6, 2 of them very nice fish. :'( The saving grace was I got the largest, 5 pounds. ;D ;D I believe we hooked about 25 or so today.

Yesterday we hooked about 10 or so and I broke a beauty off, Nick said it was about 4 pounds so I am out fishing him in size anyway.

The mosquitos are really bad on the shore but none out on the lake. Very windy yesterday but a lot better today so we hope for a equally successful day tomorrow. Have takend a few photo's and lots of video footage to view later and get some tips that I need to study. Wow does he ever have a lot of flys in the boxes, one for every insect on earth I think.

Time to jump in the hot tub and then to bed and dream about tomorrow's action. ;D

I will give a slightly longer story Friday morning ;D and a better discription on the fish numbers etc. when I review the video tapes.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2005, 10:50:49 PM by chris gadsden »

Steelies-nitemare

Re: Three days On Merritt Lakes With The Master
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 07:59:15 AM »

Sounds like a good time.   ;D  Can't wait for the next installment.  Its nice to hear even the pros can be out fished.  With a lil help from one!  ;)  What flies were working best ?

rob.l

• Pick up your trash boys and girls!!
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2005, 12:46:46 PM »

What lakes are you hitting? :)

Steelies-nitemare

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2005, 05:09:17 PM »

::) ;D  YAh what lakes...... ;)

Steelies-nitemare

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2005, 05:11:27 PM »

By the time the trips over the nice weather should be on its way. ;D  And the fraser will be way higher,  you know what that means!   :P

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2005, 05:07:57 PM »

DAY 1, MAY 31, 2005

I awake at 4:15 am, a mix of excitement and the fact I had no time to get ready the day before. Was foolish to play badminton twice, including a late night session. I played terribly and hope my fishing skill would be better. :-\

I knew at least "The Master" (Nick) would be getting into some of these acrobatic rainbows and I would be happy to once again to document the trip on video. This is a two fold purpose, to enjoy the trip over and over again in the years ahead and to preserve the tips I would learn over the next 3 days. I hope one day we will have simple means to transfer highlights of these tapes to this forum for those interested to view. Then I would not to write these reports out and more time to fish. ;D

I arrive at 6:30 am on the nose at Nick's house and he is ready, allready to roll as he is always on time, not late as I am a lot of the time. If I am late it gets the trip off to a bad start as I get "what happened this time GADSY" he asks me.

I quickly seperate what I need for the trip from the Leaf Mobile which Lew, George,Terry and others call my "office", that is most likely too polite a term to describe it.

We are on our way body of water to start the adventure at. I donot care as this was only the second year of fishing chironomids for me, just to get out is good enough for yours truly. As most of you know know there are hundreds of lakes around Merritt and Nick knows so many of them, just like the back of his hand. ;D

We are passed by several others vehicles loaded with their fishing crafts of all sorts, all with the occupants I am sure with the images of dancing rainbows in their heads just like me as I remember back to a little over a year ago when I took the biggest fish of our trip, lucky I know or was it skill? ;D ;D ;D

The first stop is our ritual of having breakfast at the Home Restuarant in Hope that is partly filled with other eager travellers glad to be escaping the confines of the big city 100 miles away.

Breakfast is quickly consummed and we are onto Highway #5, the miles pass quickly as Nick and I relive our 30 plus years of friendship that first started on the fastball field as we were both chuckers, of course he was a lot better at pitching, like he is a far better fisherman than me.

We pay our toll of 10 dollars and I remark it would be nice to have the toll off. I add to Nick as I volunteer for a certain political party that I hate to admit at times, I would try to sugggest we try to remove the tolls before the next election. Maybe I better run myself and campaign on that issue but hey if I got elected there would be no time to fish. ;D ;D

Sorry Rodney this is not suppose to be a political forum.

As we see the Coldwater River off to the left Nick tells me chinooks would be in the lower sections of it already. Marvelous fish aren't they?

We talk about the weather and he tells me the temprature of the water should be around 12 to 15 celius roughly for the best angling  He adds it should be about that at the high levels lakes we will be fishing.As well it has cooled down a bit after the first hot spell of the year a few days back.

Nick who has been talking to Brian Chan, a famous fly-fisher and author says things were starting to pick up lately, which I am glad to hear.

Final I have to ask "what lake are we going to try first", the reply is, "an unnamed one" he says with a grin on his face. Surprises can be good I guess.

As we traverse the dusty road, part of it on the old Kettle Valley Railroad we see countless beaver dams, deer and other bird life that to me are a bonus and I love to film them. To add to the joy not a soul in sight, heaven. ;D

Final we are at the lake and the air temp. is 12 degrees, and the water 11 about the same due to the hot weather I have mentioned. We launch quickly as the mosquito's are plentyful and big as jet planes.There is lots of swallows feasting on these menace to society, why were they created I think and I marvel at the winged feeding machines as they twist and turn just above the rippling water surface. I just answered my own question didn't I?

We work our way down the lake with Nick watching keenly for hatching chironomids. The odd trout also breaks the surface  and breaks the silence of the lake at the same time. I am told by my compainion they are picking off the sedges that are putting their life on the line from these creatures the lurk below in the depths of the 30 foot lake.

It is not long until Nick of course is into fish number 1 of the trip, as he lands the 14 inch silver fish. Nick on landing this trout he sees it has a very deformed mouth that spoiled his silver beauty somewhat. He has had no difficulty of feeding it appears as he is a plump fellow. Nick carefully "spoons" the stomack of this fish before release, to check the colour of the hatching chironomids they have been munching on so as to try to find a matching colour. Some are green, the same colour chironmamid I am using  ;D ;D and a silver which I believe Nick calls it a chromie.

I am next up, as I try to cast which I am not that good at most of the time I can not get my chironamid and the 12 foot or so tappered leader to clear the water. I soon find out why, I have a fish on which I take some ribbing from my partner in trying to cast a fish. :-[

A pair of loons circle us now, looking for an easy meal. Their occasional wail signals we are with nature at its best. The call of ducks and other song birds as they go about there daily chore of feeding themselves and their newborns is something that I never get tired of. How lucky we are to be here and the fish we are catching are an add on, in my books anyway. I think of those that are at work and at school and can not be at a similar location as we are. But their day will come, like mine did seven years ago after 35 years of work. That is why we must all work hard to look after nature and her environment, we owe it to those that will come after us.

As I type this one of my grandchildren, just 1 year old is hooting with glee in his highchair, enjoying his supper my wife is feeding him. It gives me all the more resolve to keep working for our fish so as to give him the same opportunity I had and stiill have if he chooses the great sport of angling. If I give up, I have let him down very badly and thousands of similar children and young adults throughout British Columbia, Canada and the world.

I interrupted myself here but these thoughts came to me during my edit, sorry.

I did not get the thrill of seeing my indicator go down or for that matter I do not see the fish either as I lose it after about 30 seconds. Not to to be dispared I am into another 5 minutes later, a 13 inch fish that is netted, spooned and then released, 1 for two, and ahead of my guide on fish hooked. Nick quickly ties me up with a lost fish also taken on a sinking line.

He then moves ahead with a nice good two pounder or a little more. I tell him he is a beak as I am suppose to get the biggest. ;D Then he is into another using a mayfly as a 3 pounder is brought to the net.

We are missing the odd fish as well as the ones we are  landing when around 3 my indicator goes down, I strike, a fish that Nick says is close to 4 clears the surface by a few feet a couple of times.  ;D :D

My joy is quickly dashed as it throws the hook on the third jump as the reason for its acrobatics prove succcessful. I take more ribbing but Nick suffers a worse fate asa the next fish he hooks he breaks off so my turn to do the taunting.

The time has passed quickly and around 6, time to head to Merritt, get a motel, and satisfy our hungry stomack that are more interested in a meal than the fish were on day one of the trip it seemed.

The count for the day is,  Nick has a tally of 4 for 7 and I, 1 for 5, with the only saving grace being I had the largest on. ;D 

I tell Nick that it is warm up day and we should do better tomorrow.

Talking about warming up we did some of that as Nick's battery for the electric motor had gone dead so it made for some paddling on the no outboard lake. We will have to buy a new one tomorrow. Funny there is always some incident on a trip that makes it memorable.

Once again we battle the mosquitos at the launch so we move quickly and in no time flat we are heading for Merritt 90 minutes away.

We find our Motel and freshen up and then head for supper that is adventure in itself. For those interested this fishing diary will continue later with some pictures as well. There was more fun ahead, well I think so anyway but others may find these long stories not to there liking but that is the beauty of a forum, you only have to read what you are interested in.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2005, 02:52:02 PM by chris gadsden »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2005, 05:39:20 PM »

Nice fish, but it looks like you two were having a garage sale on that boat. ;D

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2005, 05:49:33 PM »

Great read and  beautiful looking fish Chris! Can't wait for the rest of it, keep them coming. :)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2005, 05:50:30 PM »

Nice fish, but it looks like you two were having a garage sale on that boat. ;D
I always go with enough stuff for a month you know that by being on our bar fishing trip in the Leaf Craft.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2005, 08:57:40 AM »

After checking in at the Best Western Motel it is time to find something to eat. First stop though was to buy another pair of glasses as I lost mine somewhere, I make the store one minute before closing, thank goodness as I would not be able to read the supper menu. ::)

We then go to the Home Restuarant, Nick's favorite but it had just closed, "lets try the pub, they have good food as well as Keno" he adds.

Nick just settles into a comfortable chair as I grab a keno card, "the grill is down, no business tonight" the waitress tells us. What is with this town, does everything shut down at 9 I think. "Maybe it just comes alive during the Merritt Music Festival" I tell my now famished partner.

We finally find a 24 hour Husky just off Highway 5 and quickly take a booth for a much desired meal,hoping they do decide to close for some unknown reason, it is now close to 10.

I order a hamburger steak and when it comes it is 4 slices of meat, being tired and hungry I quickly dig in. Partly through my meal the waitress comes and tells me she gave me meat loaf and your hamburger steak to another customer, we all share a laugh as I did not even know the difference. Too tired I quess, will have to take a longer nap in the bottom of boat tomorrow. ;D

Nick digs into fish and chips, why fish I think, maybe to keep him in a fishing mood?

With the meal now complete two tired anglers drag themselves to their much welcomed beds in sleepy Merritt. ;D ;D

DAY 2

I awake early, 4 am, excited for the day I guess, so I quietly dress and head to the local Tim Hortons, leaving Nick to his dreams of the day ahead.

On the way to Tims, that I am pleased to see open, I pick up a few beer tins, enough to pay for the much coveted coffee. ;D I am the only customer there and as I sip down the coffee I read the paper and then do a few ball stat's, never away from work it seems. ???

I wander back to the motel as Nick had told me the night before he will be ready by 6:30. On arrival he is at his truck ready to roll and start another adventure.

First order of buisness is breakfast of course, so back to the Husky. As the waitress is bringing us a refill of coffee a terrible scream emits from her mouth, nearly dropping the coffee pot. We turn to see a good sized mouse with a long tail scampering across the floor at her feet. ;D

This scene breaks up the breakfast patrons and then more screams are heard as the rodent trys to climb a wall but falls to the floor, it then heads to the kitchen, for his breakfast I persume. Ouch, rodents in our eating establishment.

With breakfast completed we leave the restuarant and the mouse behind to pick up a new battery in downtown Merritt, no more rowing for us today. With a $125 battery with plenty of power safely in place in the boat it is onto our fishing destination for the day, the same lake as yesterday. ;D

We are on the water by 10 ish and Nick wastes no time and is into the first fish of the day, a 14 incher. As Nick is checking the stomack contents for what the rainbow has been dining on for breakfast, the fish does not like this operation, tosses it head and sending the device into the lake. It takes a quick netting job by Nick saves it from a watery grave.

A fellow and his wife near us are trolling flatfish, one green and the other an orange they tell us. They are doing very well, landing several nice ones. A flatfish is a good way to catch fish Nick tells me but I have to agree with him that fishing chiromomids may be more challenging and exciting. Each to their own of course I remind myself.

Nick is into the next one, he take a 2-0 lead but it is a very crimson coloured spawner that was in the 3 to 4 pound range. Nick then decides to move to another location of the lake and it pays off for me. ;D

Down goes the green and red indicator, I react well for a change and by the feel of the pull it has some weight to it.
I play it with care and a good netting job by Nick sees a 5 pound fish (On Nick's scales) my biggest ever is safely in the boat. I decide to keep it. It is not the most beautiful fish of the trip but will it be the biggest of the trip?  ;D (It has a small bend in its back near its tail.) :-\

We find later in the day when cleaning my trophy it is sterile fish. Nick tells me the eggs are put under pressure at the hatchery, destroying the gonads thus creating these sterile fish.

I am rolling, rolling, rolling right along ;D ;D ;D as I am into another good sized one but step on my fly line in the bottom of the boat and lose it. The bite is on and we miss many, I lose three in a row, just when I thought I was on that roll my skill level once again slips away. We also have a double header on. This happened while filming a fish that Nick has on and is playing. This fellow hooks itself on my line, just beside the boat but with camera in hand I lose it. :o Nick even calls me a beak for all my losses but I remind him I have the largests so far. ;D ;D

Nick meanwhile continues on a hot streak landing several more before we call it a day around 7 o'clock the end of another enjoyable day with the Master.

After we load the boat we are on our way back to Merritt and we relive the highlights of the 11 fish Nick landed and my 3 along with the several we lost to one mishap or another. Nick calulates we have hooked around 35 so far for the two days and landed 19 of them. Nick has landed 15 of them in the friendly competion to my 4 but did I tell you I had the biggest ;D Size over quanity I would say. ;D ;D ;D

Pictures to follow as well as the events for day 3 for those interested in what has been a most wonderful trip so far.

I feel at times I am writing a daily fishing column. :D

« Last Edit: July 15, 2005, 09:58:21 AM by chris gadsden »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2005, 12:06:28 PM »

More photos

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2005, 12:55:15 PM »

Niiice rainbows ! :)

halorail

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2005, 04:03:14 PM »

Nice Fish and yes I'm jealous
Pack Out Your Trash

Steelies-nitemare

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2005, 06:55:36 PM »

Nice fish guys!  :o  Gotta love hittin them on chironomids.  With the hoody up,  you kinda have that uni-bomber look. LOL ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2005, 07:22:12 PM »

Nice fish guys!  :o  Gotta love hittin them on chironomids.  With the hoody up,  you kinda have that uni-bomber look. LOL ;D
It was mighty cold out there at times, as low as 8 c and with a wind chill BRR BRR.Remember also these are high level lakes plus 3000 feet I believe. Also to keep those pesty mosquitos from sneaking up behind you and biting you on the neck.

Will try to take it off for next photo for you though. ;D ;D