Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Our trip to Berlin last December  (Read 4273 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Our trip to Berlin last December
« on: May 21, 2005, 02:57:37 AM »

It has been almost six months since I returned from Denmark and I've been trying to find the time to write this up as I think many would be interested in reading what I am about to share with you.

Every year while staying in Copenhagen during Christmas, we always try to plan out a short trip to a particular city nearby. I've done two trips to Oslo, which were very pleasant and I shall post photos of those one day as well) and one short trip to Sweden. Berlin had always been on the list but we never had the chance to visit, until last December.

Our plan was to do a two-night trip and Nina was able to find a relatively inexpensive deal at a four star hotel since it was right after Christmas. The mode of transportation was bus and ferry, which apparently was rather long according to Nina. I was not aware of the travel time as I slept through the entire way!

Berlin is unique since it is incredibly modernized compared to other European cities. Most of the old buildings were completely destroyed during the war and the city is now dominated by large modern buildings. The odd old buildings could still be seen if you pay attention, and structural damages by the war are still very evident. It was also interesting to witness how fast the city has developed since the fall of the Berlin Wall. To an outsider such as myself, it was impossible to differentiate the east and west.

Our objective of the trip was not to shop or dine locally, but to visit museums. ::) During our last trip to Oslo, I think we managed to visit four seperate museums in one day, as well as the royal palace, and the town hall where the Nobel Peace Prize is presented every December. Very nerdy stuff. Berlin has thirty of forty museums, and it seemed they are all worth a visit. After some reading before the trip, I recommended that we spend most of our time at the Pergamon Museum.

The Pergamon Museum was built in the early 1900s. It houses three different cultural components - antiquity collection, the Middle East museum and the museum of Islamic art. What I really wanted to see was the Pergamon Alta, which is this giant monument that was reconstructed by the German archeological team.

From the hotel to the Pergamon Museum, we passed several museums that pretty much had no line-ups. When we arrived at our museum, it was a different story...

Can you spot the yellow jacket? ;)

It seemed like every tourist in Berlin decided to congregate at that location. I think we spent at least 30 minutes in the line-up.

Once inside, the agony was quickly forgotten.

The photo does not give a good estimate to the actual size of the structure. This temple was built 2,200 years ago in the ancient Greek city of Pergamon, which is located in today's Turkey. It was dedicated to Zeus. One of the important features is over 350 feet of sculptures that tell the stories of the battles between the gods and the giants. See photos below.

There are three other main features in the Pergamon Museum but I only managed to get good photos for two of them. The Market Gate of Miletus was displayed behind a net because it is fragile.

The Ishtar Gate and the Procession Street of Babylon was the other highlight. Ishtar Gate was the eighth gate to the inner city of Babylon (today's Iraq), built around 2,500 years ago.

To appreciate how significant the structure is in the photograph, one has to understand that the giant structure (note the comparison between the height of the people and building) was built by small blue tiles 25 centuries ago, completely destroyed, and rebuilt in the late 1800s. The brighter blue tiles are new replacements, while the faded tiles are the originals. Also note on the walls, the bulls and dragons and dragons were created with the style of bas-relief, so they would look more realistic. The above photo only shows about 10% of the entire reconstructed structure, which is also only a fraction of the original building.

Anyways, Pergamon Museum, highly recommended! ;)

On the way back, we stopped by Check Point Charlie.

The museum was very informative, I was able to pick up lots of new knowledge regarding the Berlin Wall. My only complaints would be it was too small and unable to accommodate the large crowd.

Hope you enjoyed the read. There might be part two. ;)

Terry Bodman

• Old Timer
  • A poorly tied fly is better than no fly at all!
Re: Our trip to Berlin last December
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2005, 08:14:34 AM »

Very interesting read, Rodney. Also, great photos.
"One man of courage makes a majority"

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2005, 10:46:13 AM »

Where are the fish ?  ;)
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2005, 11:04:09 AM »

brings back some memories, had a couple of stints in Berlin during the mid-seventieswith the forces,then the atmosphere was definatly tense,the re-build was just getting rolling.hope to return one day and visit in a more peacefull time. 
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2005, 11:15:57 PM »

Part Two
More photos

Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church at night. It stands at the center of a very busy commercial district. The top section of the church was destroyed by the allied bomb in 1943. Very unreal when you drive by it, one of the more haunting and enduring landmarks in Berlin.

This photo was shot just west of the Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church. You can see the church at the very back, with the missing top. For "The Amazing Race" fans, this medium was the location of a check point during the Berlin Leg, right before the sausage making task. ;) Check out the large sculpture, they are everywhere in that city.

Brandenburg Gate, the symbol of division during the Cold War. Back in 1987, US president Ronald Reagan stood behind this gate and said, "Mr Gorbachev, tear down this wall."

Siegessäule (Victory Column). The golden lady at the top is 8 meters tall. The entire column is 67 meters high!

The bridge to Museum Island. Notice the white statues lined up along both sides of the bridge. The large building in the background is Berlin Cathedral. Too bad that we had thick fog that day, because we could only see the foot of the tall Berlin Tower.

Close-up of one of the statues on the bridge.

We found that the people love to decorate everything there. This is just one example. To fence up the construction site, they actually used these giant sheets with a picture of the building around it.

Finishing up the trip with a giant German sausage.

Nina

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2005, 11:11:36 AM »

And this year we are going to Poland, woohoo!  ;D  ;)

Lew Chater

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2005, 12:41:26 PM »

And to think I was just looking for steelhead during this time. Good stuff Rodney, great pictures of very important history. Do you keep notes of all the names etc or is your memory just that good? I'm impressed anyway!
Fishing is not a matter of Life or Death... it's more important ~!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2005, 02:36:07 PM »

Most I still remember, a few I had in my cheat notes. ;)

The bitter part of the Pergamon Museum is probably the fact that these huge structures were taken away from their original sites. Luckily they were not destroyed by bombs during the war. I believe the Turkey governmnent is currently looking into getting the Pergamon Alta back from the Germans. Parts of the Ishtar Gate were reconstructed at the original site in Iraq, but apparently they were almost all destroyed by the US army who cleared the site as a helicopter landing pad. ::)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2005, 01:53:55 PM »

Last two pics.

I thought this was interesting. This is a photo inside the ferry. The train that goes between Berlin and Copenhagen sneaks right into the ferry to get across the sea. Not for long though, I believe they are planning to build a bridge to speed up the crossing. Forward thinkers eh. ;)

This is from Frankfurt Airport. Not sure why the Mac burgers in Germany are retangular instead of round.... :D

Overall we enjoyed Berlin. The only thing I didn't like as much is the smell of the sewer. Every now and then while walking, you'll come across pockets of that smell. The streets are not as clean as Copenhagen... It could just have been downtown though.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2005, 03:43:10 PM »

Overall we enjoyed Berlin. The only thing I didn't like as much is the smell of the sewer. Every now and then while walking, you'll come across pockets of that smell. The streets are not as clean as Copenhagen... It could just have been downtown though.
Time to go international and start a BAASCC in Berlin Rodney. ;D ;D That way the directors can get a trip to Europe to help organize it.

Oh...BAASCC = Berlin Adopt A Street Cleanup Coalition, how orignal. ;D

Very good pictures and the history lessons too, thanks for sharing them with us.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2005, 03:44:43 PM by chris gadsden »

Neat Freak

• Birdnest King!
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2005, 08:54:50 AM »

I really enjoyed your photos. Be sure to post more after your next trip. :)