Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: lamiglas dave vedder center pin rod  (Read 15082 times)

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
Re: lamiglas dave vedder center pin rod
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2005, 09:16:39 PM »

thanks rodney,i will give them a call.and i will make my decision very quick...

allwaysfishin

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2005, 09:46:56 PM »

sage will have thier new line of factory rods in stores real quick. saw the new factory versions of the same rods we have all come accustomed to, 3106, 2106, 3113, 4120 ect. They look pretty good. ya might wanna see if any shops have them in yet.....

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2005, 11:19:39 PM »

sage will have thier new line of factory rods in stores real quick. saw the new factory versions of the same rods we have all come accustomed to, 3106, 2106, 3113, 4120 ect. They look pretty good. ya might wanna see if any shops have them in yet.....

Just wondering where you saw them?  was it on a website somewhere?

Just curious.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2005, 06:48:08 AM »

Big T, I recommend single foot guides.  Why:
#1 - weight - less metal, half as much thread and epoxy = less fatigue after a long day
#2 -  less friction when casting - this one I am not so sure of myself but a custom rod builder down south said that because the double foot guides have a much lower profile they cause more friction.  A centre pin is deep (compared to a bait cast), the flatter the angle from the top of the spool where the line comes off to the first eye,the better, single foot guide is taller and there for has a flatter angle and this causes less friction.

I dont know if you have fished a centre pin befor, but I find you hold the rod out in front of your body more than a bait cast so I find my back can really feel it...trust me when i tell you the reduced weight of single foot guides is good.

The lamiglas I built (6-10lb) has a center pin handle and with small spin guides.  I can use a pin or a spin cast reel on it.  These rods arent cheap so I though by having spin guides, I could put on a light action reel and cast small jigs and spoons, otherwise use a pin for bait.  i am very pleased with how it fishes!

rln

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2005, 08:04:27 AM »

another reason to purchase a rod with single foot guides, they bend easier when bushwacking and then can break, therefore making you need rod repairs. You may notice the weight difference, but it's not worth losing the durability if you bushwack a lot The lower framed guides seem to not get caught on bushes, trees,etc when bushwacking.I see lots of bent guides on my rods that do have single foot guides and I am not happy with them. The new factory biult Sage rods will be around $500.00 retail. I saw one of the first 4110's made for a baitcaster at Searun Tackle in coquitlam last week. I was told the selling price was going to be $550.00 for that rod.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2005, 08:15:35 AM »

Has anyone ever have a guide break?  Bend sure, but you just bend it back (as I have done on my double foot guides). Of coarse a higher profile guide may have a greater chance of getting snagged up if you arent careful, but that is true of any guide. 

Heck branches will grab your line to an cause it to get nicked...doesnt mean you run 50lb test or braid...it means you take a little extra time and be careful.

I have a cloth rod bag the I put over my rod when i am hiking, it makes a huge difference in minimizing the hang ups.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2005, 10:37:43 AM »

Never had a guide break

rln

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2005, 03:37:04 PM »

After having to bend them back many times, I have broken a couple of guides but mostly popped out the inserts which Ihave had to epxoy back into place to make them stay in. Just never had this probelm with any of my low frame bnlg or bnsg fuji guides.
 Just heard at lunch today that Sage hopes to start shipping factory built rods this coming friday to the BC tackle stores that have purchased stock, should be available to be looked by late next week.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2005, 10:16:01 AM »

So far the Forecast guides on my Stryker rods have been very strong.

I've never had a guide broken on a drift rod actually, but have had spinning rod guides broken (ie. the edge cracks, the insert ring falls out etc).

BIG T

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2005, 03:05:59 PM »

So far the Forecast guides on my Stryker rods have been very strong.
hi rodney,i think this is the single foot guide on your stryker rod 2106,by the way,what is the lure weight are rated (is it that important for center pin set up?)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2005, 06:23:54 PM »

The 2106 is rated 6 to 12 lb. and I've used up to 1/2oz lure for coho with it. The action is moderate, a fairly soft rod. You have to ask Russ how well it performs as a centerpin rod since I have it as a baitcasting rod, which I love very much right now.

The Stryker 3106 centerpin rod is fast/moderate. The bottom section is fairly stiff, where as the top section is fairly soft. The rod retains great sensitivity but at the same time is able to handle fish of great size. It is rated 8 to 15 lb. My only complaint about that rod would be, since I am a small guy, the rod is fairly heavy for me to use. It gets a bit tiring, especially with the certerpin after a few hours of fishing.

You can see the specs on this page.

The photo above is actually a double foot guide, I can't find the single foot guide photo yet, but it's available when he builds the rod. The good thing about having the Stryker rod built is flexibility. There are four or five different colours of guides/tips to choose from, threads to match the guides, around 20 different reel seats as well.

BIG T

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2005, 09:09:55 PM »

Thanks for all the information,i already decided,is going to be the 6-12 lb medium light action rod.since i already got a medium 8-17lb action center pin rod,wound like a lighter action this time for steelie or coho....Thanks again