Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Deposit On Coffee Cups Etc.  (Read 5590 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Deposit On Coffee Cups Etc.
« on: May 03, 2005, 05:30:00 PM »

Was pleased to see on BCTV 5 o'clock news tonight that a Vancouver councillor is suggesting a deposit should be paid on coffee cups and other beverage containers to cut down on the litter on Vancouver streets.

I suggested this a few times a year ago to our local MLA and my fellow Chilliwack/Vedder River Cleanup Coalition directors but did not get much support from either. ???

This has given me some hope after all this was not such a bad idea. ;D ;D

Did not get the name of the councillor but hope they will run the story again at 6 so I can. Did anyone else see the item and know the councillor?

I would like to contact her so we can start to lobby the Provincial government to get the present refundable program expanded.

This sure would help cut down on the litter. Could you imagine the mess we would have on our streets and rivers now if there was no deposit on bottles and tins etc..
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 05:32:47 PM by chris gadsden »

keithr

• If you want to know about me, see my website.
    • Our place in Mexico
Re: Deposit On Coffee Cups Etc.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 05:36:46 PM »

I'd also like to see them charge a substantial tax on the sale of plastic grocery bags.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 06:31:48 PM »

Her name is Anne something or other. We should also have a tax on bait containers, fishing lines to encourage recycling.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 07:34:26 PM »

Her name is Anne something or other. We should also have a tax on bait containers, fishing lines to encourage recycling.
Thanks. Her name is Anne Roberts. I have sent an e-mail to her giving her my support to her initative and a link to the Chilliwack/Vedder River Cleanup Coalition so she can read about the work the Coalition is doing.

Uncivil

• 'Geers on Gear
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 11:22:20 PM »

While I respect your position Chris I just think it is an unworkable proposition.  The prime difference I see is that a paper cup can't be reused like a glass bottle.  And while plastic is melted down to be reused I see real problems with sanitation intrying to get people to return paper cups for refund.  All you will see is a 5 or 10 cent increase in the price of coffee and the same amount of garbage on the river. Now if that 5 or 10 cent fee was used for education purpose I would buy in right away.  Unfortunately I still think the people dropping coffee cups are the same people that don't obey fishing regs.  Education doesn't seem to work with them... maybe shooting would.  And as personal political note I wouldn't be too hasty in praising anything Anne Roberts does or says.  Shee is a real wingnut.  I seem to recall she is not much of a fan of outdoors people that hunt and fish.   
We can build it, take me to your Banker!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2005, 11:28:27 PM »

I agree that Anne Roberts is a wingnut. For that matter, most of the Vancouver falls into that category. Remember she was a member of a coalition against having Walmart locating on Marine Drive. She was still opposing it while she's in council while really listening to the other side.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2005, 11:47:07 PM »

I'd also like to see them charge a substantial tax on the sale of plastic grocery bags.

Plastic garbage bags are mostly made from recycled plastic, require less raw materials (energy, water etc.) per bag than paper to produce.  They can be reused, even when wet.  Paper - one use, and then what?  All too often: landfill.

Studies (and not just ones sponsored by the plastic bag manufacturers) have shown that plastic bags, and stryrofoam containers for hamburgers are net less environmentally damaging (production process etc) than paper.  Unfortunately I can't find those studies right now.  The reason Mc'Ds went paper for example was 100% political, and not based on any science.  (If it sells more burgers they'll do it)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2005, 12:03:50 AM by DragonSpeed »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2005, 11:53:47 PM »

I hope my support of this does not make me a wingnut too. ;D ;D

However I have to support someone that is trying to get the consumer to clean up their act.
As you go to work the rest of the week just observe the mess on your streets, in park an rides, parking lots and along the sidewalks. A disgrace is too polite a word.

What is the answer then if this idea put forth by Anne Roberts is not feasible? I suppose the Adopt a Street programs that seem to be expanding in a number Lower Mainland cities are of some help.

Nostro

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2005, 08:10:18 AM »

I think you're right on Chris.
We don't need legislation to do this. It would be a very good public relations move on the part of popular local merchants (Tim's, MacD's, etc) to do. As it is, it does not sit well with me at all to walk down the Vedder rotary trail the day after the clean-up and already there are Tim's cups thrown away. The fact that a coffee cup could fetch a $0.05-$.10 refund will encourage a lot of local people to sweep through local popular areas and make easy $$$$'s. I, for one, would not mind at all to pay the extra deposit. If I did mind, I would always have the option of taking my cup back and receive a refund. After all, that would be the ultimate! Wouldn't it? To be responsible for our own litter.
I think we need to promote it locally, each of us in our own neighbourhood. If there is a demand, the merchants will get on board. Eventually, the by-laws will catch up.
Never look a fish in the eye.

rob.l

• Pick up your trash boys and girls!!
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2005, 08:36:57 AM »

I see real problems with sanitation intrying to get people to return paper cups for refund.

I'm not sure, but maybe I missed something. Isn't it the same as picking up bottles??

I think its a good start. We need to do something..

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2005, 05:19:01 PM »

I'm all for that, a nickle a container cup or container,I worked for a property maintinance company years ago that had a building and parking lot ajacent to a fast food joint, they picked up several large garbage bags of containers,wrappers etc. weekly in the lot, even after installing several garbage containers finally they started dumping the bags at the door step of food joint.
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

Uncivil

• 'Geers on Gear
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2005, 10:02:22 PM »

Rob it may be splitting hairs but plastic and glass bottles don't break down to a soggy mess after a day or two of rain.  They don't absorb crud from the surface they are lying on.  Most people that return bottles return them to a collection depot if they pick them up off the street.  They are usually ( but not always) handled with gloves and are washed before being processed.  By law the store that sells a product with a deposit must take back the empty container.  In a store that sells mostly unwrapped product like a Tim Hortons I just see a problem returning a soggy paper cup.  I agree with you that something should be done, I just don't think this is the right way to do it.  Maybe the way to go is to make the price of a coffee prohibitive unless you bring your own container????  Jsut a thought although the real solution is for people to take responsibility for their own actions.  Maybe some real enforcement of littering laws would help.  When was the last time you ever heard of someone actually being fined for littering?  I seem to recall signs on BC highways saying the maximum fine for littering was $2000.  Hit a few clowns with that fine and you sould probably see a change.  If you let the municipalities keep the revenue from littering fines they could pay for a lot of enforcement Staff!

Even wingnuts have good ideas occaisionaly its just this time I don't think Ms Roberts idea flies. Chris we just disagree on the solution to the problem and that definitely does not make you a wingnut.  Of course being a leafs fan, well thats another story.. 
We can build it, take me to your Banker!