Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: adequate bar fishing reel  (Read 3178 times)

Eagleye

• Old Timer
adequate bar fishing reel
« on: April 04, 2005, 09:30:58 AM »

I have a Shimano Calcutta 400 and an 11 1/2 ft Trophy XL 10-20lb medium casting rod and I was wondering if it is adaquate for casting large weights for bar fishing the Fraser for Chinooks. I also have an old Alvey 520A mooching reel that can fit a whack of line but I don't how far it can cast as I haven't used it yet.  I was also thinking of getting into bar fishing for sturgeon.  I've heard the Penn 320 and 330 are reliable reels.  Does anyone know how these reels are for casting?  What type of rod/reel would you guys recommend for bank fishing sturgeon? Any help is much appreciated.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2005, 10:39:51 AM by Eagleye »

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
Re: adequate bar fishing reel
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2005, 11:34:57 AM »

I own a Pen GTi 320, great little indestructable reel, can store a good amount of line,a nd has a reliable drag system. I pulled up my fair share of halibut on that reel. As for sturgeon, the reel would work just as well. I can't really speak much about a suitable rod, but I know that trophy makes a rod designed for sturgeon, I've only seen it used from boats, but you cast with it, so I'm guessing it wouldn't be too different on shore.

You probably wouldn't want to put your calcutta and a trophy rod of that weight to a sturgeon unless your are extremely confident about your fish-fighting technique. I think I snagged a large sturgeon a few years ago (before I had been converted from bottom bouning snagger), I never saw it, but it slower moved upstream and then back again. I was using a similar set up to the one you described, 20 lb test on a drift rod, broke it off at the mainline.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

rln

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2005, 12:32:23 PM »

The reel if loaded with fireline or similar product maybe ok for bar fishing, but that model of rod was designed for casting the 2-4oz lead balls for bouncing. If you are going to bar fish with the 16-20oz wedge sinkers, you should look at the 11' Trophy XL "Fraser King". That rod was designed for bar fishing out in the Fraser. You could also use this rod for bank fishing sturgeon if need be.

Muddler

• Tight Lines!
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2005, 12:42:56 PM »

The Penn 320 is a great reel. You can use it for sturgeon as well too. Another option is an Ambassadeur 7000 which I use for Barfishing and Sturgeon. The 7000 is about $50 or$60 more than the 320, but it looks nicer.

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2005, 01:38:07 PM »

Because fishing is all about looking good...  ;D 8)
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

CAPTAIN BONK

• Old Timer
  • THERE'S NO HEAD BETTER THEN STEELHEAD !
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2005, 02:36:38 PM »

PENN 320, WITH A 11 FOOT UGLY STICK ! ;D