Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Van Harbour (March 20)  (Read 6395 times)

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
Van Harbour (March 20)
« on: March 19, 2005, 06:45:59 PM »

First day of Spring break, upon deciding last night that the weather wouldn't be too great to head out, we decided not to go out today. So I had a bit of a late night. To my surprise, dad surprises me by bursting into my room this morning claiming that we were indeed going fishing...

I was assigned to rig up the boat from it's long winter rest, this included removing various beverage (and that's what we're calling them, no specifics...) containers from the bow compartment. I rigged up 3 rods, one of them a Sage 4120 that a buddy has asked me to look after for him (for some reason he still trusts me), so I was anxious to get it out on the water a hit a fish with it. After spending about an hour re-rigging the entire boat, we finally got out.

The weather had worsened slightly since the morning, with the small amount of rain. The watre looked very flat and we hoped to get a smoth ride out to the freiters. We launch at Burrard (the one near the space centre). Little did we know there was some sort of demonstration going on on the other side of false creek. The boat didn't seem to want to get out of hibernationa nd took a bit of encouragment (and swearing) to get her to roar. After ~1/2 and hour of screwing around with the engine (and laughing at whatever was happening on the other side of the "creek").

By the time we finally got moving, the "demonstation" had turned it's attention to burrard bridge, where a few other people had decided to hang a large banner from the bridge demanding that the US and UK remove their troops from Iraq..the thing I was left wondering was why were they asking the US and the UK, but were doing it in Canada. And also, what would be the consequences of immediately removing the troops ? civil war ? Enough wht that rant...

We dropped our crab trap off of Stanly park (2nd beach ?) and continued out towards the North Shore. We fished a stacked rigger on "my side" of the boat, the bottom rod had an anchovie and flasher, and the top rod was rigged with "blood and bones" hoochie. I lowered this rigger down so that the lowest rod was at 75 ft, and the upper rod was 25 ft above it. Dad sunk his spoon down to 100 ft. After trolling around for about an hour, dad got a mild hit, I picked up the rod and cold feel something was hitting it, aftre ~15 hit without a solid take, I decided to pop the rigger (if a salmon "hits" a spoon more than even 4 times, then it probably has it in it's mouth anyway, at least that's my logic) and set into the weight that I felt, the result was a very undersized chinook.

We released it and continued trolling for ~2.5 more hours (pulled the trap once to see what there was, the trap was empty). We had one more solid hit (As in we know it was definately a hit, not a bottom rub or something) on the anchovie (then at ~90 ft), half of the anchovie was gone, but the hook was avoided, somehow...

Eventually, it got a little too cold for our liking and we pulled the pin and headed back. The "demonstration" was gone and we could land the boat in peace. All in al, a good (yet cold) day, good to gte out on the water and not get entirely skunked....although it is the first tme I've EVER been skunked by the crabs.

Here's the trophy shot of the day:

Please excuse the retarded look on my face...it was cold...

Hey Rod, can I submit two pics for "fishy shot" ? I got good feelings about this one  :D
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

leaping steely

• Old Timer
  • Who goes fishing anymore?
Re: Van Harbour (March 20)
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2005, 06:55:21 PM »

nice fish. :)

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2005, 07:39:43 PM »

Beats my largest fish of the year! I caught a cutt about 3 inches yesterday. We also are getting the boat out of hibernation possibly tommorow if the weathers ok. We will keep it at the marina beside my house for a couple weeks. We will try some winter chinook fishing all this week. Ill post a reprot if i get anything decent and take some pics of the huge sea lion colony beside my house. ;D

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2005, 08:00:32 PM »

It's a HAWG eh ?  ;D

Hey Kellya, I know I've asked this a few times, but where on the island are you ?

Dad and I have our dates decided for when we're coming over tot he island for our trip, but are yet too decide on a location. We're still leaning towards Sooke, but are also looking into possibly heading to Tofino, but we're still in the research stages.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

Spudcote

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2005, 08:02:10 PM »

So we do I get a saltwater trip? ;)

Send the photos to info@fishingwithrod.com and we'll see about getting one into the fishy shot for May. :)

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2005, 09:24:27 PM »

Spudcote i live on the east side of vancouver island. Due to a power outage during the big snow all the hatchery fry from the cowichan died. There is talks o closing the salmon fishing in this area in june?july :( I would suggest port renfrew if your fishing the south island but sooke,bamfield,port alberni,winter harbour, gold river and port hardy are all good bets.

stryker 07

• Piss on work,gotta go fishing
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2005, 07:11:00 PM »

Hey spud,How do you like the pfd horseshoe harness.Is it comfortable,how much are they?Thanks ;)
Please honey can i go fishing now???

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2005, 07:43:05 PM »

I think they're a great idea, we're required to wear them where I work (we're loaned them), and when I came home, I decided to get one for myself. I paid ~$140 down at some place on Granville Island (not ecomarine, there's another place nearer the entrance). It's comfortable, lightweight and out of the way. The only thing I would have a problem is if I were unconscious in the water, I wouldn't really like my chances if that happened. You can get the "auto-inflate" models, but they cost ~$70 more (I think, you may want to check up on the price).

I wear it religiously, just to get into the habit, and in the unlikely event that I do go in, I'll have it for sure. With the amount of fishermen venturing deeper into the river systems, more guys are going down than before (unfortunately), and if I'm one of them, I'd rather float than sink, so I wear it wth waders too, as well as normally in the boat.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

Spudcote

FISHIN MAGICIAN

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2005, 09:06:04 PM »

Guess what SPUDCOTE....

Read the FOC regulations and see the page that says...."do not remove your fish from the water....release it gently...."

What is with holding that fish up by the jaw?

Release all grilse gently.

At any rate, your leader is too long for this time of year spud, shorten it up a foot or more for immature feeder springs, and change the colour of your flasher to better suit the water conditions in the bay, as a red flasher is NOT the colour you should be fishing with in English Bay at this time of year. Greens/Blues are what you should be fishing with.

Don't fish any shallower than 50 feet at this time of year, and get your downriggers down to 120 to 80 feet, and fish your rods in that range primarily...120 to 50 feet the shallowest...but not unless you see bait up that shallow.

Move quickly too...2 to 2.5 MPH, as feeders will take a well presented lure at that speed at this time of year. 

Oh yeah..and remember don't hang fish you intend to release and are REQUIRED TO RELEASE by the jaws like a trophy.

:)

Looking forward to getting on the water soon here myself...

Robert

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2005, 09:11:17 PM »

Correct me if I am wrong, but at this time of year a flasher might spook the fish cuz the water is pretty clear.

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2005, 09:54:32 PM »

Hey FM, I completely agree wth what you say with regard to lifting the fish. I was kicking myself for doing it right after. I'd like to have to say that I needed to raise it up to get the hook out, but it was one of those spur of the moment things, I think I was laughing at how a fish that size tried to take a spoon half it's size, regardless, I realize it was stupid. I know it doesn't really make a difference, but the fish swam away visibly unhurt, we also did not physically touch it, we used a gaff to unhook it (the gaff too didn't touch the fish).

As for the flasher thing, I havn't had the best of luck fhsing this time of year, with any colour of flasher, I had different colours of flasher on each line, in the hopes that something might trigger a strike. I had a green flasher, and a green/glow flasher on the other two lines, we had one hit on the green/glow rig that was at 95 ft (I think), we had nothing on the hoochie with he green flasher.

We spent most of the day motering around at ~3.5 km/hr (we kept track using the GPS), and also adjusted our speed by judging the angle of our riggers (the current moving the opposite way to us would effect the action on the lures, and make it look like we were moving faster)

I've heard about a few fish being taken off of South Bowen, but not much else.

Robert, in some cases a flasher would scare fsh, but the water would have to be very clear for it to really effect it much. The water was a little dirtier on that day, so I decided to use flashers regardless.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

Spudcote

FISHIN MAGICIAN

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2005, 01:45:29 PM »

Old Wives Tale with regards to flashers and spooking the fish in clear water.

THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO WINTER SPRINGS!!!

Talk to any old salt commercial troller and flash it up!

As for mature fish, that is a TOTALLY different matter.

Having been a guide at Langara Island for 4 seasons, and being a part time guide for one of the local charter operators down here, I can tell you that the more successful operators fish FLASHERS. In addition, having fished on board a commercial boat for a few days in April and September off Langara Island, I can tell you a few things...

David Korsh of Predator Charters advocates not fishing with flashers as they really aren't necessary, but they do increase results, and add a lot more sport to small fish. I do tend to agree with him, but fishing with flashers adds to the all important attraction factor.

At any rate, Spudcote, if you are looking to get some better results at this time of year, fish closer to the QB in a line diagonal from the QB to Point Grey, or on a course towards the North Tower of the Lions Gate Bridge. Don't spend too much time in any water shallower than 90 feet as you are going to waste a lot of time weeding through grilse.

Your other option for decent sized Winter Springs in English Bay is closer to Spanish Banks EAST to SPANISH BANKS WEST in AT LEAST 120 feet of water.   

With regards to my last message to you, fish with 4.0 Coyotes and nothing smaller as you are truly going to be busy with "shakers" under 24 inches. Coming up here in the next few weeks, it will definitely help you keep your rods fishing for larger fish.

I don't know if you fish 4 rods or not, but put it down 115 and 95 and then maybe fish your other rods 80 and 60 feet to see if you can determine what depths they are at.

Spudcote, I don't know if you launch down at Vanier or not all the time, but I do, and I fish with a 18.5 foot Campion with a 150 on the back, and I usually fish with 4 to 6 rods...give it another 3 weeks and then get out and load it for bear, and don't be afraid to sleep on in, as getting up "early" except to fish the tides at this time of year is BS....Even if you miss the tide, fish it correctly, and there are going to be plenty of feeders in the next few weeks...

Just an FYI, last April 15 we were fishing off Cowan's with 3 people on board and we limited on springs. 2 were mature fish returning up the Fraser I think, 22 and 24 pounds respectively, 1 white, 1 red, and the others weighed 13, 10, 11, 9 lbs. All came with flashers and fishing chovies, and spoons. Spoons were 5 inch Coyotes and 4 inch Coyotes.

There are fish there, just got to put your time in, and like I say, if you hit it just right and fish hard
you may just be rewarded like I was. Local charter operators fishing in English Bay don't tell the whole story as they are restricted in their efforts by the price of fuel and lack mobility.

However, I have had my fair share of days out there with results like yours, but what you experienced is pretty average for most anglers at this time of year.

I can't wait to get going in the next few weeks...  :) :) :)

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2005, 04:56:26 PM »

I think spuds fishing on the rock today but i finally got my boat in ;D Didnt have time to fish i just set a prawn trap(after untangling 400 feet of rope for an hour). I hope to go for winetrs maybe friday and sat/sun. Ps do rockfish go deeper in the winter. I wanted to catch one today to make fish&chips and i couldnt find any. Ushually i cant keep them off my line!

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2005, 09:47:32 PM »

lately I have caught rockfish in waters from 80 to 200', when I lived on the island  we would get them at the same depth any time of year.

FISHIN MAGICIAN

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2005, 11:50:52 PM »

i know that Rod doesn't like this as one of the better written fishing reports by local operators is David Korsh of Predator Charters, and I don't mean to provide him free advertising, but rather I should post all the other reports too....I just cut and pasted this one from the report he filed...

Sorry Rod, but for the sporties out here on this board, honestly, I don't think David gets his business from this report...posted here...but if it helps members on the board improve their catch results...so be it..

here it is..hey SPUDCOTE>...check out this report and hope it helps you out....

The PREDATOR'S PEN                Date: March 23rd/2005.

An update of the local saltwater fishing scene for Vancouver  To : Saltwater Angler

By:    David Korsch (Predator Charters)
E-mail: davek@dccnet.com    Web Site: www.predatorcharters.com
Phone: (604) 329 - 8642                Fax: (604) 886 - 1928

Hello Fellow Anglers

It has definitely been an interesting latter half of our winter fishery this year.  While the fishing hasn't been red hot or anything, we have experienced one of the best winter fisheries for large fish in many years.  In addition, the spectacular weather from around the beginning of February has likely spoiled us for all future winters.  I mean really......how do you go back to fishing on cold rainy days (our usual winter fishing days) when you get used to fishing on calm, sunny days with temperatures in the 10 to 15 degrees C range???  Oh well, I guess I'll just have to cross that bridge next winter..........

I have been out fishing fairly often in the past two or three weeks, and other than one day with a particularly bad weather pattern (intense rain/low pressure to rapidly rising pressure/clearing skies.......always bad fishing when that happens), the fish have been cooperating quite nicely.  As mentioned above, it hasn't been "hot", but rather very consistent.  Each trip we seem to have two or three "shots" at fish, and everything we have landed in the past month has been a legal fish between 9 and 19 lbs (average seems to be about 12 lbs).  I am sure the odd fish we have lost could have been undersized (I did see one undersize we had up to the boat), but generally there seem to be very few around in Howe Sound at this time.  On the other hand, Vancouver Harbour is just packed with small Chinook (30 to 45 cm) so I am not too worried about the lack of smaller fish in Howe Sound (from an overall "general health of our fishery" perspective).

Strangely, this winter has seen the majority of fish being caught using a flasher.  Hootchies or spoons behind a flasher have been far better producers than anything else, though the odd fish has been caught on bait, 4" Tomic plugs, or spoons trolled without a flasher.  There is another couple weeks left in what I call the "winter fishery", and after that it is time to start fishing out off the South side of Bowen Island.  Typically the "Southern Bowen" fishery begins in or around the first week of April, and I would suspect the warm weather in February will more than likely lead to an earlier start to the fishery.....I am already seeing the beginnings of the plankton blooms that we associate with the start of this fishery.  Last year this fishery "exploded" on April 9th, and some of the hottest fishing we have experienced in the past decade occurred through the middle of the month. 

Similar warm weather this spring (remember.....we had a VERY warm stretch last winter/spring as well) is making me optimistic about the possibility of a repeat performance in 2005.  Spoons and anchovies fished with a flasher have been the best producers over the past few years, but hootchies are always a good bet.  I guess we will find out what the best depth will be once we start fishing out there on a regular basis, but it should be somewhere in the 60 to 140 foot range.

I still have three available days in March (28th, 29th, and 30th), though the others days only have mornings booked, so an afternoon trip could also be possible on one or two of them.  Early April is still fairly open at this time, but once the South Bowen fishery starts I will likely get quite booked up, and booking a short notice charter may not be possible.

The new 2005 charter rates have been in effect since March 1st.  They are $425.00 + GST for 5 hours for "up to 3" anglers/guests, and $450.00 + GST for 5 hours if there are 4 anglers/guests, and additional hours will be $80.00 + GST.

As always, feel free to pass this information along to any associates whom may appreciate the report.  If you have any questions, or wish to book a charter, e-mail me davek@dccnet.com), or call me at (604) 329 - 8642.

Tight Lines,
David Korsch
Predator Charters
(604) 329 - 8642
davek@dccnet.com