Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Local Lakes  (Read 5935 times)

Will_CARP

• I love fishing!
Local Lakes
« on: March 13, 2005, 09:11:23 PM »

I've been out every weekend now to the local lakes and been skunked everytime.  When do the trout start biting?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Local Lakes
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 12:46:36 AM »

Best to check the stocking data on Fish Wizard or phone up Fraser Valley Trout Hatchery for the latest stocking information as they stock most of the local lakes.

Sandhead

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 11:09:56 AM »

Just curious when you were out did you notice any insects around? Was the water super cold?
Ain't no HO like a COHO

WestEast

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005, 12:27:06 PM »

In the last few weeks I've tried Lafarge, Sasamat, Buntzen, even Como with my kids. Not a nibble. Kids loosing interest. But I am noticing more insects late in the day, and rolling bodies - so they are starting to wake up. Last year, trout stocking started 8th March.

Sandhead

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2005, 01:57:38 PM »

At Buntzen I have had luck fishing off the rocky point on the east side of the lake. Only problem with that spot is that it tends to get fairly crowded quickly. I havent tried buntzen this year.

I went out to Salsibury on the weekend and didnt catch anything but did manage to kill a couple kokanne's out in the sun. Not too pretty of a lake with all the clearcuts and yahoo's shooting guns every 30 seconds. I was amazed by the bullet casings on the ground... That will be the last time i fish the lakes in the Stave Lake region. Everytime I go there it seems there are people shooting off weapons. I think the next time I'll keep traveling east and find someplace a little more secluded. The flies that weren't working for me were wolly bugger, doc sprately, and bloodworm. Water was super cold (didnt have thermostat) and I didnt notice any bugs at all.
Ain't no HO like a COHO

twocoaster

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2005, 02:05:32 PM »

:-\ Hit Buntzen for 2.5 hrs yesterday. Fished spratley, leech, nymp patterns, also spinners and spoons. No bites. Saw 1 small fish rise, very little insect sign.

Will_CARP

• I love fishing!
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2005, 07:10:16 PM »

Once it starts, it'll get crowded fast :P

Bone Cross

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2005, 08:15:38 AM »

I went to Mike Lake last weekend. There were bugs everywhere. Mayflies, Chronimids and even Caddis' coming off the water. However, there was two fish that rised throughout the day and No one on the lake even got a sniff. ???
from a Redneck point of View!

Sandhead

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2005, 11:55:49 AM »

Called the hatchery and it appears that the stock of lowermainland lakes will start after march 21st this year
Ain't no HO like a COHO

Will_CARP

• I love fishing!
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2005, 07:47:09 PM »

Good news! :D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2005, 10:37:19 PM »

Are there any lower mainland lakes with brookies in them? I am curious. I never heard of any.

No

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2005, 10:34:01 AM »

I thought munroe lake or one of those ones way up the hill had brookies stocked a really long time ago.  I have never fished there, but it is a really long hike to get up there.

Cheers

legend

• There's no nookie like Chinookie
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2005, 06:26:48 PM »

Why would you want to target the recently stocked fish there allways so small . The resident fish which have been in the lake for a longer period of time are better sport not to mention bigger than a catchable freshly released hatchery fish.  The freshly released ones tend to bite everything they see good fun for kids but not that challenging for an avid angler just my personal opinion.