Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Conservation finally out there.  (Read 2870 times)

legend

• There's no nookie like Chinookie
Conservation finally out there.
« on: March 13, 2005, 04:18:57 PM »

We got checked by three conservation officers in a zodiac today. We were fishing just up from douglas island on the Fraser. I have fished by boat hundreads of times and never once have I ever seen them. They were doing routine checks for licenses and illegal hooks they also asked to see our PFD's im not sure if this is there jurisdiction (PFD'S) but we conformed and checked out a ok. One fellow was very friendly the other was taking things way to seriosly and had an attitude. Seems to be a crappy time to be enforcing the regs with such a small amount of fishing going on when there needed most there never around. Good to see they do actually exist hopfully they got some people in violation and fined them.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Conservation finally out there.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2005, 04:26:33 PM »

Funny you see them during the slow season but where are they during the sockeye season ?

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2005, 05:08:28 PM »

Still very nice to hear thier out and about and I may add about time too :D. In almost thirty years of fishing I've only had two encounters with a DFO and that seems pretty low considering how much I fish. Hmmmm. :o

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005, 08:12:54 AM »

Glad to hear that they are out.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2005, 08:32:19 AM »

Them being out there now, its kinda like enforcing a school zone speed limit on the weekend...its kinda pointless.  Unless they are out the to look for sturgeon poachers or some other specific reason, then isn't it a waste to time and money to be patroling in the slow season?!?!

I can just see it now, when the indian nets hit the river this summer, the DFO will give us some Bull S**T line about spending x hundred man hours on enforcement on the fraser...they just wont tell you is was all outside of the critical time frames.

Sandhead

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2005, 01:58:50 PM »

Up in the squamish area I see the DFO out all the time. I dont think I've seen them ever on the fraser or vedder.
Ain't no HO like a COHO