Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I did it!  (Read 16500 times)

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
I did it!
« on: February 27, 2005, 01:22:22 PM »

I went out today, and cast my new fly rod for about 1.5 hours.  Obviously, I haven't quite got the technique perfected, but it was cool to see that I could actually cast with moderate accuracy to distances from 20-35 ft.

Obviously the wind knots have got to go, but I can manage a decent cast now.  I have a feeling that I won't TOTALLY embarass myself around my friend and his buddies.  Now the challenge is to get the technique CORRECT, rather than just functional.

The Happy Fly Caster :D

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
Re: I did it!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2005, 02:28:58 PM »

Well done, did you have any instruction at all ? I was self taught and managed to embarass myself at the fly-show, so it may be worth getting someone else to watch you if you went to. Otherwise, I found that the casting was hardest part of learning to fly fish, considering it's what you spend a fair amout of the day doing.

Wind knots happen to all levels of fly fishermen, some more than others. So don't really worry about that much, the more you fish, the less you should encounter.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2005, 02:36:22 PM »

Ha, 35 feet, I am better than that! Let's see you beat my 36 feet. ;D Well done... Did you do this in public....? ;)

Spud, don't worry about embarrassing yourself at the casting pools of the flyshow... lol.... It happens to many... ;)

A lesson is definitely recommended, to get those bad habits identified so you don't keep doing it forever.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2005, 03:34:24 PM »

I took an hour private lesson with Scott of Anglers West. Best investment I made.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
    • My Pictures
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2005, 06:04:44 PM »

Well, so far I have been out uninstructed in the courtyard of our townhome complex.  I got all kinds of quizzical looks, and also the odd humourous comment.  All in all, I didn't make a TOTAL fool of myself, and my "fly" never came close to my ear :D  Of course, once I use something with a hook, I'm sure it'll be a different story.

Yes, I definitely need something instruction wise, but today was the first baby step.  Perhaps in a while I'll get some actual instructions to go with my own variation that I'm using now ;)

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2005, 08:16:07 PM »

Good on you Dragon. 30 to 50 feet is all you need. After 50 feet you are fishing blind and after 70 feet you are just showing off. keep the elbow down, the loops tight, and don't bend the wrist.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Matuka Jack

• It's time to fish!
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2005, 08:31:38 PM »

That sounds great Dragon.  Good job!!
"Of the things we think, say or do:
1.  Is it the TRUTH?
2.  Is it FAIR to all concerned?
3.  Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
4.  Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?"

By Herbert J. Taylor

halorail

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2005, 10:26:00 PM »

Spent some time talking to one of the instructors from the Kalamalka Fly Fishing Club. To get 30ft of line out it has to travel at 30mph, 50ft = 50mph. the most he got out was 84ft. I fish still water Chironomids so I only have to get out what the the depth is. Normally less than 50ft. Just work on technique & rhythm, once it click you'll wonder what all the fuss was about
  PS. nothing wrong with the front lawn.
Pack Out Your Trash

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2005, 04:28:56 PM »

just stay away from the float fishers!
The Bigger The Better!

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2005, 05:14:15 PM »

Good point BigFisher...float-fishers seem to have a sense of humour failure when a fly-guy pulls up beside them.  ;)

It's like encountering a bear, give them their space, and they'll give you yours.  8)

If you are going to fish beside one, make sure that you're casting arm is on the side of you furthest from the other fisher.  For example, if you're rght handed, try to have it so that another fisher is on your left side. It's different if someone else comes and fishes on your casting side, then they "fish at their own risk."
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

Tailwalker

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2005, 05:59:31 AM »

Good on ya , you`re going to love it . If you`re getting wind knots , it`s probably because you`re starting your forward stroke just a little early . Try and pay attention to what your backcast is doing  . Try and watch it over your shoulder  . When it`s done properly , the back cast should be high , and you should feel a little tug on your rod  . NOW is the time to start your forward cast . The backcast is the most important element in fly casting .
Study to be quiet

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
    • My Pictures
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2005, 07:21:56 AM »

Good on ya , you`re going to love it . If you`re getting wind knots , it`s probably because you`re starting your forward stroke just a little early . Try and pay attention to what your backcast is doing  . Try and watch it over your shoulder  . When it`s done properly , the back cast should be high , and you should feel a little tug on your rod  . NOW is the time to start your forward cast . The backcast is the most important element in fly casting .

Good tip.  I have a feeling that if I start my forward stroke too soon, that's when I get the "crack the whip" effect as well.

Jimmy

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2005, 08:22:17 AM »

10 and 2  my friend. This helped me to stop breaking off the fly back cast to 10 oclock forward to 2. If you ever find a fly fisher saying this when fishing just come over and say hi ;D

Great job

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2005, 10:06:20 PM »

9 and 1 works better.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2005, 11:12:33 PM »

well when a beginner pick up and cast from 9 O'clock to a 1 O'clock position, they do have a tendency to over extand their fore-arm and cause a wide loop. So i usually advice ppl to keep the rod up high, tight elbow keep the rod from around 10 o'clock to 1:30 position. Basically, this is how its work from pick-up to lay out a cast...  pick up the line, to 1:30 position, pause, wait until the line is fully extended, move the rod forward to a 10 o'clock position pause wait until it fully extended.. Then repleate the same motion again.. other wise, wait until the line is fully extended at the 10 o'clock position, then just simply lower the rod to a 8:30 ish position.. your line will lay out really nicely. goodluck fishing