Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A beautiful day at the vedder Feb 26,2005  (Read 2452 times)

Robert

A beautiful day at the vedder Feb 26,2005
« on: February 26, 2005, 04:32:53 PM »

My dad and I woke up at 4 am, and we hit the road at 4:45 am.  It was a pain getting out of Vancouver due to all the red lights we encountered.  However, once we got on the highway everything was going smoothly, that is until the fog appeared, the fog this morning was quite thick and abundant.

We arrived at Lickman at approximately 6:00 am and there weren't many cars in the lot, a good sign.  Anyway, once I got to my spot I had to wait a bit for it to get brighter. 

First, I fished with ghost shrimp, I made a few casts and nothing, so I tried some roe and nothing.  It was getting busier so I left my spot, in search of some peace.  I walked up river trying various spots with roe, bugs, jensen eggs, and small plastic worms to no avail.  At this point I was getting tired and discouraged but I said to myself, "I didn't come to the vedder for nothing", so I pressed on in search of that elusive steely.  At about 9:00 am I decided to walk back down to my original spot and fish there for awhile, I fished it for about and hour and did not get anything.  After, I chose to cross the river because I wanted to fish on the camp ground side.  Furthermore, earlier I saw a fish hooked in that area.

At about 11:00 am I finally hooked and landed a wild steelhead doe(SAFELY RELEASED), it was about 7 pounds.  I caught it on a combination of an orange jensen egg with pink wool but that's not all I added a ghost shrimp to the mix and it worked ;D.  Soon after, I walked down to a spot below where I had caught my first steelhead today, and I was using the ghost shrimp and jensen egg combination. On my first drift my float goes under, I set the hook and I felt a headshake, DAMN IT!!Then I said to myself, the fish didn't get hooked therefore, it should take my presentation again and it did.  A few casts later I hooked it again, this time it was hooked well.  First, it went up river and then back down before it went around a tree stump.  I could not free my line and as a result my leader snapped :'(After that, I fished the same spot for awhile longer hoping that I might get another shot, unfortunately that didn't occur.

Finally, I left the river at about 1:30 pm.  I left the river sort of disappointed in a way but at the same time I was happy because I hooked into a couple of fish.  Overall, it was a great day and fishing in the lower river is pretty good considering the low and clear water conditions.  Furthermore, I heard of 4 other steelhead landed at the train bridge but they were all wild.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2005, 04:40:32 PM by Robert »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: A beautiful day at the vedder Feb 26,2005
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2005, 04:41:57 PM »

Good report Robert. How's the water ?

Robert

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2005, 04:42:46 PM »

Low and clear.

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2005, 04:48:19 PM »

I was there myself and didn't have any luck today. I did meet up with biffchan and both of us saw fish landed-4-5. It was a beautifull day and warmer than last week.
Fish on!

Robert

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2005, 04:49:47 PM »

yeah, it was very warm today.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2005, 05:39:18 PM »

Fished most of day, with all the fish i saw caught coming out of deeper pools. I tryed a deep pool along the dyke, and later two guys walk in and land 2 steelys a couple minutes apart, Made me mad! (both were on small 4 inch pink worms). Walked the dyke to fish the corner of lickman after an hour of nothing in the other spot, and saw one caught there on a pink worm also. So, I decided no more roe bags anymore, and to just stick with pink worms. Later went for a swim to go with my new tan.
The Bigger The Better!

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2005, 07:13:42 PM »

Wow it was like a fwr convention out there today. Got there at first light with my brother and dad (its complicated). Got to one of the meat holes little later than I wanted and there were already a bunch of people. I asked the guy above me if I could work in below him, kinda took him a while to figure out what I wanted. I guess no one does that anymore. Anyways, turned out he was a friend of chrome mikis.

Thrid cast of the day float goes down and I'm into a fish. Ended up landing about a 4lb hatchery. I was going to release it anyways but before I could get a picture, it squirmed out of my brothers hands. Everyone sort of looked at me like I was crazy for releasing a hatch job but considering the hell and high water I went through to get out today it just wasn't worth it.

A short while later, chrome mikis's friend was into a snag. A few seconds later the snag turned into a fish and a decent fish at that. But unfortunatly it went airbourne and spat the hook shortly later. Saw one other fish bonked in this hole but left shortly after beacuse it was getting too busy.

Ran into norm_2 later on in the day. He reported seeing a few more being caught but nothing for him. He was still fishing when I left the river so hopefully he connected after I left. Shortly later I ran into bug pumper. Same story for him, a few hatchery fish caught but nothing for him.

Saw one more fish caught across the river from me. Couldn't really see too well but it looked to be around 15lbs. After that decided to call it a day as I desperatly needed a nap.
Actions speak louder than words.

Steelies-nitemare

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2005, 10:11:32 PM »

Fished lower end today and nada.  :P I never even seen a fish caught.  Next time less talking and more fishing will be the plan........ :-\

Steeler2000

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2005, 10:25:37 PM »

Nothing for me either but did manage to cross  a pretty heavy tailout to some nice water .
Looked like I was the first to cross there for awhile as there was 13 floats just lying there for the picikin ;D
3 Drennens :o :o :o
Kind of a Gadsden type day  with out the fish ::)  8)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2005, 09:32:29 AM by Steeler2000 »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2005, 11:16:52 PM »

Got to love days like that, 3 Drennans almost as good as a hatchery steelhead. ;D ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2005, 11:23:24 PM »

Almost, not quiet