Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder Jan. 16 Plus More  (Read 2628 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Vedder Jan. 16 Plus More
« on: January 16, 2005, 07:59:04 AM »

Just took a look outside and freezing rain is pelting down, even though we do not have much snow on the ground the road are becoming very slick. As I look towards the freeway the cars out there are just creeping along. The temp. is around -2, however the wind is starting to die down.

If you are planning a trip this way maybe it would be wise to delay it for a while and check the road reports before leaving.

Not been fishing since Thursday I would like to go but will delay my trip as well even though I am only 5 minutes from the river. As well the Leaf Mobile is now out of the doctor's office and is anxious to get out on the river as well. ;D

With rain in the forcast for most of the week ahead today may be the only day we get to fish for a while. The Tolmie Slide will be causing a fair amount of siltation with this forcast of rain and milder weather for several days.

David also says more material will be coming down so keep your distance if fishing up that way. Thanks must also go to a group of anglers that took the time and expense to build and erect warning signs in this area last week. My hat goes off to that group.

It is so good to see members from several different Brtitish Columbia fishing forums contribute in so many different ways to work on environmental issues, preserve our fishing opportunities, share their fishing knowledge to others and much more.

By the way do not forget the CVRCC cleanup on January the 29th, we hope to see the regulars that always attend and meet some others from all forums that may not have attended a cleanup before. Needless to say the CVRCC Adopt A River program is turning out to be very successful, thanks to all once again that make this possible by attending and to Rodney for maintaining the CVRCC web site.

Am going to post this so early readers can see the road condition info I have mentioned and also so not to lose this post what happened yesterday when I tried to post a too lenghtly one. Timed out it said so I do not know what happened. Will be back shortly to continue this post.

The last day I fished on the Vedder, on Thursday I had hoped to improve my 3 for 10 hooked and landed ratio.

I started down low in the Vedder and saw nothing except for a steelhead that teased us by showing himself not once but twice but wisely for him he refrained from biting. As the wind started to picked up I moved up river to a tad.

After fishing a couple of runs I missed what I was sure was a fish but not certain as it would not come back for a second go at the roe bag. Do not think it was a snag either as the Balsa float stayed above water.

Shortly after moving to another run another angler slips into the run and in no time he is into a nice 10 to 12 pound hen and lands the wild fish. It was a fish I missed I am certain after seeing that.

Settling comfortably into the next run my float goes down not once but 3 times in the space of 20 minutes. This was a fish as I am short floating well off the bottom and I donot go down in this run unless it is a fish. Whats going on maybe should increase my hook size up from a #1 or go down to a # 2 or is it the way I am putting the roe bag on?

After 3 chances the fish will not come back so go for a walk and then return to the miss 3 run, this time from the other side of the river. A few casts from the new location as the float is coming down towards me, bad cast, the float is under, I strike but with a little too much slack in my line my strike is something to be disired, I hook the fish but I know the hook set left something to be disired. The steelhead begins to swim upstream, shakes his head a couple of time, waves goodbye and my land ratio slips to 3 for 11. :-[

I can not interest any other bites and leave the river a bit disgusted as I lost all 6 fish I hooked during the week. hoping my landing record will improve shortly as we begin the brood capture program starting Monday.

We had a Sports Fishing Defence Alliance meeting in Chilliwack yesterday to plan our strategy for 2005. Bill also wants me to convey to all much thanks and appreciation to those that supported all the SDA activities in 2004. As we need a large sum of money to retain our lawyer we will be working on some fund raising activities through the year. We committed $10,000 yesterday to continue invervention on the R. v. Kapp case that will be proceeding in the years 2005 to 2006. During this period the Kapp case will proceed through the British Columbia Court of Appeal potentially bound for the Supreme Court Of Canada. Of course the SDA will need a lot more funds to continue through the next two years. If in the Chilliwack sports shops drop a bit of loose change in the SDA jars if you wish. Every little bit helps.

We should try to get some jars in the Vancouver shops once again as we once had.

As most of you know The Fraser Salmon Review starts Wednesday in Richmond, a numberof concerned anglers from Chilliwack will be attending this one. Try to attend one of the several that are scheduled and make a presentation if you can. Your fishing future as well as the future of the salmon are at stake so speak up now. The SDA is trying to get a meeting closer to Chilliwack scheduled as well.

For more info on the list of meetings go to      http://www.fishingwithrod.com/fishy_news/050114.html
« Last Edit: January 16, 2005, 09:41:54 AM by chris gadsden »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Vedder Jan. 16 Plus More
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2005, 11:27:34 AM »

One more thing regarding not losing a long writeup when posting. Beside choosing "login forever" when logging in like I mentioned over the phone, it's best to write up the long ones in word processor, and then copy and paste into the forum. Just in case other disasters like power outage, computer crash, take place. ;)

Regarding the salmon river in Richmond, it is best to phone in to confirm your attendance.I can only find one phone number, and that's 778-828-3348. Is that correct?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2005, 11:47:00 AM »

[Regarding the salmon river in Richmond, it is best to phone in to confirm your attendance.I can only find one phone number, and that's 778-828-3348. Is that correct?

I imagine you mean Salmon Review. Fishing must be on your mind. ;D

That is the number I have but you could e-mail them at info@2004salmonreview.com for more info if you wish.

Again I hope others will be presenting their concerns in a written form or appear in person but make sure you register so you make it on the speakers list.  I believe everyone speaking will be under oath which will be a good thing. Maybe it will turn out to be a good as the judicial inquiry. I hope so as the fish's future and survival may depend on it.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2005, 11:49:07 AM by chris gadsden »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2005, 11:49:12 AM »

[Regarding the salmon river in Richmond, it is best to phone in to confirm your attendance.I can only find one phone number, and that's 778-828-3348. Is that correct?

I imagine you mean Salmon Review. Fishing must be on your mind. ;D

I really need to go fishing.... :-[

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2005, 11:52:00 AM »

Weather update. My wife just checked the temp and is -3 and freezing rain but wind is dying down. May attempt a trip after a nap. ;D ;D

blueback

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2005, 05:00:41 PM »

Well, the Bronto and I were crazy enough to brave the freeway this am and we saw a number of cars in the ditch on the way past. The roads were very slippery and some folks were clearly going too fast for the conditions. Started up top and fished a couple of good spots to no avail. Oddly, the weather above the crossing was much warmer than down below. We could only fish until 11:30 as I had to take the wife to a surprise baby shower her sister was having later, so we stoooed at a nice spot in the middle section of the flow, to finish the outting. We fished there for about an hour and watched a fellow on the far side hook and beach a hatchery of about 10-12lbs as soon as we arrived. I saw a fish swish it's tail in front of me and then porpoise, a little later on, but he wouldn't take my roe bag. Man was it cold in that freezing rain. That was it for us today; no fish on our lines. Maybe next time!     

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2005, 07:31:25 PM »

I too made it out for 3 hours this afternoon and not a bite either. Was a nice afternoon with the temp. still at the freezing level. I heard of only 3 fish today through my contacts, one wild, one hatchery and a fish lost by Gwyn.The roads were getting pretty slick on the way home.

Tomorrow we start the  brood capture program so will  have to fish as near as possible to easy pickup points .As well try to fish near the hot spots to see if I can get fish donated from my fellow anglers.

Will not be able to fish where I have been the last few trips, that will make some others that fish the same "Hot Spot" happy I am sure. ;D

A tip of the week.

Have you every had trouble getting broken off toothpicks out of floats especially straight through ones and prize Drennans you have found along the river?

Well I have and never got around to looking for a thin but strong enough wire to do the job. Well on Friday went on a mission to try to locate something. First stop a $ store and bingo there was packages of Floral Accessory wire, 18 inches long, 30 to a pack and 20 gauge wire all for $1.50. I have been busy pushing sticks and toothpicks out of a few nice floats. ;D ;D

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2005, 09:14:33 PM »

Went out at first light until 8:30am than again after hockey at 1:00pm. Saw two fish killed but no hook-up for us today. There sure is a lot of guys stacked up at Lickman these days. I can imagine any fish getting by all those lines during the day. Maybe again next weekend.