Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: starting out  (Read 5015 times)

fisher88

starting out
« on: January 13, 2005, 03:26:34 PM »

hey im starting out new to flyfishing, wondering if anyone can give me some pointers as what beginning setup I should use or anything??.. Probably pretty cheap, fishing for coho, pink salmon, and the odd trout.
If you aint dutch you aint much!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: starting out
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2005, 05:11:40 PM »

My suggestion is to go to your local fishing store and tell them what you plan to fish for etc.

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2005, 11:17:33 PM »

If thats all you gonna fish is coho and pinks, i would suggest a 7wt system..  A 7 wt fly rod ( TFO series one,)  a decent reel with some kind of drag system ( the new loop composite reel)  and with a inter- changeable tips system fly line ( airflo).    But like Fish Assassin said, go to your local tackle store, they can set you up within your budget... 

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2005, 08:13:40 PM »

I agree with most of the above except go to a 5/6 weight for lake/small creek (skagit) ,spend as much as you can afford on the reel and line (interchangeables are fantastic) but do make sure that you buy a spare spool, (you can load it later) even with a heavier line to match your new bigger trout small salmon rod or the other way around if river fishing is your plan to start. buy the 7/8 and load the spool later to match your new lake/small creek (skagit)rod. make sure that you buy good lines (they connect you to the fish)good reels are also important disk type drags are good. make sure that you talk to the rep at the tackle store you are honest with your expectations and plans (where and what) and that they know your budget.don't spend all your cash on tackle. check out casting lessons, a couple of hours of lessons can save you days of frustration on your fishing outing. above all get out as often as you can. even if only to hone your casting skills on grass or the local pond.
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2005, 02:22:54 PM »

A 6wt will cover your bases.  However, a Coho can be all you can handle on a 6wt., so be careful and don't break your rod.  The problem with Coho is that they run at the same time as Chum and a Chum will kill a 6wt.  Pinks are great on a 6wt. as are trout.