Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Regarding "Dragging fish up on the shore"  (Read 4454 times)

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
Regarding "Dragging fish up on the shore"
« on: November 28, 2004, 08:04:15 PM »

I was just reading in the reports, someone commenting negatively regarding a fish being "dragged up on the rocks". 

I looked at it, and didn't think it was too bad.  My reasoning:

1) Rocks are all wet around.
2) No sand.
3) Have you seen what these fish do to themselves?  I've seen them swim, all by themselves, into water shallower than that.

Sure, you could try to release fully submerged, but not always, sometimes the fish is too lively, and you don't want to play it out to exhaustion.  It's still got a chance of getting lucky :)

My $0.02

TtotheE

Re: Regarding "Dragging fish up on the shore"
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2004, 10:09:35 PM »

1) Only keep the fish out of the water as long as you'd be able to hold your breath if dunked under water by surprise.

2) Wet hands when handling so as not to remove the protective slime or scales of the fish.

I like to keep these 2 points in mind(among others) when playing CnR.
The post in question doesn't seem so bad.  Its not like he hauled the fish half way to his truck,  shake n bake it in sand,  then kick it back in the water.
Since there is no way of telling how long a fish is "out" of the water from a picture short of a time stamp,  you can't really judge the situation.  I think it is unfair to jump to such conclusions,  regardless of the skill of any fisherperson,  regardless of how elite or noob they claim to be.

So Rodney,  where's the article on catch and release tactics?  ;)

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2004, 10:12:59 PM »

1) Only keep the fish out of the water as long as you'd be able to hold your breath if dunked under water by surprise.

How about how only hold the fish above water for as long as you can hold your breath after running a marathon.
Actions speak louder than words.

TtotheE

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2004, 10:23:08 PM »

How about how only hold the fish above water for as long as you can hold your breath after running a marathon.

Now there's an excellent concept  ;)

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2004, 10:27:03 PM »

I don't think a fish should be dragged on rocks ever. Get a catch and release net if you are'nt good at the belly rub or tailing.  I'm going to send rod a picture from today of a chrome wild coho, I didn't think it was worth posting because you can't see anything but the tail end.  But for this discussion its a good point. My net is made of a soft mesh and I use it for steelhead also.  I can fit up to a 12lber in there and it takes alot of stress off the fish.  You can net a fish more quickly than you can tail it in most instances.  It would be great if more people started useing these.   BP
« Last Edit: November 28, 2004, 11:17:16 PM by bug pumper »
Fish on!

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2004, 10:30:14 PM »

Dragonspeed ::) Lack of education on catch and release mortality or the possible damage of this fish thrashing on the rocks?

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2004, 10:36:15 PM »

I try to bring the fish to the shallows...once it flops on its side, dont drag it any further.  Hop in the water quickly,  tail it, remove hook, get pic if wanted and let it go.

With practice, you can hold rod with butt end in the water and resting on your knee being held in the crook of your arm against your body that is doing the hook removing. Have pliers in easy reach in pouch in vest/pocket etc. Then you can pick up fish's belly with the hand you unhooked it with and get a nice picture while holding your rod. Then the release.

Works well, but on occasion the odd fish isnt cooperate, but wouldnt be any more cooperative out of the water either if you think of it. I dont like them right out of the water on the rocks as they bang themselves more. Seems they are more quiet if left in some water.

Lots of good comments.  I like the 'running a marathon' one.  Reminds one to think from the fishes view.

Never use a net on the river.  BP, are these nets you use those soft knotless ones Ive heard about?  How's it work? Good for the places off rip rap or deep drop offs where my way does not work that well.
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2004, 10:42:25 PM »

Ya 2:40 Gordie, its a soft mesh net. I sent rod a picture so he'll post it soon I'll bet. I've got some good pictures with steelhead from last year where I used the net for my friend Rob.  Otherwise I love to do the belly holding technique.  ( bellyrub)  They just sit in your hand calmly, its cool.
Fish on!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2004, 11:03:58 PM »

What's the length and width (or diameter) of the net? I carry a smaller one for dolly fishing during winter and I use a bigger one (biggest one I can find in the shop) for Lower Fraser, but I think I may need a bigger one if I decide to use it for the Vedder. Europeans carry them when fishing for sea trout on the back... should be able to do it here too. :) It certainly makes catch and release easier in the water.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2004, 10:12:00 AM »

Nice pics bugz, is that your version of a little T&A (Tails & A##)!  :-*

Steeler2000

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2004, 01:24:59 PM »

I don't think its that the fish is out of the water as much as the fish hitting its head as it thrashes about . :(
Saw this happen while fishing the Stave last year . The guy new it was wild and had every intention of releasing the fish . Unfortunatley after the fish thrashed around on the rocks it was released  :P. He held it for a long time and then it just sank to the bottom . :-\

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2004, 02:28:34 PM »

just wait till the pinks arrive. that's when i get into some really heated situations because of some 'a--hole' fishermen who treat humpies like they're footballs. >:(