Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Jello Chum roe?  (Read 3876 times)

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
Jello Chum roe?
« on: November 22, 2004, 07:29:57 AM »

Hey all

I heard a while back someone used cherry jello to dye the roe red.

is this a good idea? how do you do it?

also, chum roe is a nifty nice orange, isn't that aready a yummy flavour for salmon?

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
Re: Jello Chum roe?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2004, 08:42:38 AM »

That might have been me.  Soak the roe in the "Kool-Aid" over night.  Dilute just enough to get it to disolve.  Place the Skeens in a 500ml container (sour cream etc.) pour the Kool-Aid mix over top and add just enough water to cover them.  Pull them out after 6-8 hrs. and let them air dry for 4-8 hrs. Place them in a container with borax.  I prefer to cut mine into loonie size chunks before I pack them away.  I them will cut them smaller on the river.  If you mix the Kool-Aid with borax and store them that way, your eggs will not harden.  When you pull them from the freezer, you'll have a soggy mess.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2004, 08:45:08 AM »

thanks - but generally speaking is dyed  red a better colour than the natural orange?

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2004, 09:32:02 AM »

Some believe so.  I use both and don't find much difference.  I think it could make a difference in coloured water as darker colours are easier to see.  Also the attractant effect of colour.  I've even seen some cured green.

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2004, 11:32:30 AM »

I used Wild cherry flavored  Jello this year and you do get a nice red color.  Previously I've always used food dye but thought I would try it.  Haven't fished with it yet so we'll see.  As to whether it works or not...we'll see.  I use a brining method so just add the jello to the brine and dissolve.  Color wise, in the past I used to always use Procure, double red hot or something like that for my curing.  Seemed to get catch fish fine.  On the other hand, I've used orange colored roe as well and it too works.  When fishing natural baits, I suspect the stronger incentive is scent first and then sight which is why even if you're fishing with yarn adding a scent attractant makes sense.  As Grumman said already, the darker colored roe is easier for the fish to see in colored water and certainly having 2 or more different colored roe is just more arsenal in your bag of tricks.  A lot of it still has to do with confidence.  You will always fish better with a color YOU believe works rather than one YOU don't believe works as well.
President Club S. C. & P.

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2004, 04:12:07 PM »

U sed stawberry kool aid on mine. Watch out..that stuff dyes your hands nicely.....best part...you create a whole bunch of nutritious little straberry flavoured protien snacks   ;D kidding
You don't make friends with salad.

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2004, 09:29:40 AM »

I fish a couple of colours in a day, natural and a coloured.
Works well!
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

Dragnet

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2004, 08:48:30 PM »

I've been using jello and borax for years and it works. Its cheaper than procur and doesn;t dry them out.

Doesn't stain your fingers either, and you can alter the color of your skeins or your eggs by mixing various jello colors , give it a try.