Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mushrooms  (Read 9287 times)

Koho

• I'm an alpaca!
Re: Mushrooms
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2004, 07:41:36 AM »

So were you ok after eating the mushroom burger?  The only wild mushrooms I've eaten are morels and pine mushrooms. 

...you should know your fungi!  ;)  ;D

Isn't Rod a fun guy?  ;)
"I'm having fish tonight!"  -Bruce, the Shark in Finding Nemo.

keithr

• If you want to know about me, see my website.
    • Our place in Mexico
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2004, 01:15:58 PM »

I keep thinking about this thread.  Somewhere back there someone suggested taking a golf club to those mushrooms.  I really wouldn't do that.  These are beautiful mushrooms, and if allowed, they will return year after year.  Yeah, they are toxic; but they are so gaudy, even the most callow mushroom hunter would hesitate to eat them.

This is not so obviously the case with some other members of the amanita family: faloides and pantera.  Neither of these is particularly gaudy (although both are large), and they are more deadly than their cousin, muscaria.  If you have muscarias in your area, chances are you also have some panteras and faloides.

Supposedly the muscaria (musca = fly.  In Spanish,  mosca = fly) got its name from being used for killing flies.  You mixed up some of that mushroom with something sweet and left if for the flies.  It didn't exactly kill the flies, but it screwed them up so much that they were really easy to swat.

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2004, 02:18:15 PM »

wow magic mushrooms cool
You've been into something if you think those are the magic ones ;)  The guys you want to look for are tiny 1-2" tall.  Skinny stems and heads the size of a dime.  The heads have a membrane covering the top.  This is a hands and knees job and I haven't picked one in about 22 years so don't take my word for it, I'm way out of practice ;D   

And there are none in my lawn so keep off ;D

fishersak

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2004, 03:18:31 PM »

Nina is right about the identification.  These will make you SICK, don't even think about eating them, and if you have small children I would destroy them.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2004, 05:06:31 PM »

Perhaps the show is too dated for many here? If you haven't seen it, you should. It's titled Altered States, and is focused upon the halucigenetic qualities of this very 'shroom (and yes, the agronomist was correct with the ID).

Minute amounts of certain parts introduced a very mean trip, the wrong part, or a minute amount too much has extremely uncomfortable results! STAY AWAY!

Nog

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2004, 06:39:56 PM »

... I haven't picked one in about 22 years so don't take my word for it, I'm way out of practice ;D   

i use to pick them before they became illegal.  they were abundant at the vancouver airport  ::) ...remember rocket shrooms?......( i won't give descriptions, just in case of any kids on net)...... bad news all around.....just like cid. :P

rerigger

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2004, 06:42:43 PM »

yikes nina the mycologist  :o cool!
some people i once knew used amanita muscara ,yes those very ones as a drug . they would scrap off the white spores and then somehow consume them i can't remember how ,but i wouldn't reccomend doing them if these guys were any indication .

and yes those small ones with the membrains still grow at the airport if i can read my pickers right  ;D