Advanced search  

Author Topic: roe  (Read 9607 times)

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
Re: roe
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2004, 12:52:44 PM »

Procure is basically borax with colour.  

actually its not.  you can buy procure, with or without borax.

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2004, 01:01:05 PM »

Noted ;)

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2004, 03:06:48 PM »

in cutting the roe into loonie size pieces,do i cut the sackin half before i cut to smaller pieces or what do i do ??? ??? ??? this is my first time i triedto do my own roe. i need help.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2004, 03:51:31 PM »

Cut the skein lengthwise, then cut into chunks, take the chunks and cut them into bait size. Make sure you include the membrane.

DaN ThE MaN

• Old Timer
  • Darn she got away!!
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2004, 05:27:08 PM »

Its better if u let your roe air dry till tackey(sp) cut pieces in chucks put them in a ice cream bucket and add procure or borax then every 30 - 1 hour shake everything around. i keep the juice in there cause overnite they will take back all the juices they released. hope it helps :)

sean

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2004, 05:51:50 PM »

looking more for information on how to cure single eggs for making roe sacs
thks

The_Roe_Man

• I like ROE!
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2004, 03:22:40 PM »

i am curing some single eggs up right now using the salt water solution.  I heard you make a salt water solution with fresh water and as much salt as you can get to dissolve in the water.  Then keep the eggs in this tyill you tie up roe sacs.
I like ROE

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2004, 04:13:57 PM »

Leave the eggs in the solution overnight. Then throw away the water. Keep the eggs in a container in the fridge til you are ready to tie the roe bags.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2004, 11:56:55 AM »

I just yesterday did up a nice batch of doggy berries for the impending steel season. Run cold tap water over the eggs for about 3 or so hours. Then, dump the eggs into a supersaturated salt brine (enough coarse salt that 1/4" settles to the bottom of the container) so that the brine completely drowns the eggs. Put that in the fridge, and leave there until required. Do NOT drain, the salt is a great preservative, and you'll be amazed how long they'll last!! Little rubber ball bearings that if flicked at the wall, just might come back and take your eye out, but still full of great juice as any tooth that hits it soon discovers. They bite and won't let go!

Cheers,
Nog

sean

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2004, 08:15:09 AM »

does the salt brine toughen the shell of the eggs because mine are plump,firm but pop easy and are hard ti tie without breaking?

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2004, 02:29:59 PM »

Yours are not dry enough.  I cut my skeens into bait size chunks (about the size of a loonie.  I lay them on newspaper and coat them in borax or a borax/koolaid mix and let air dry over night.  Then I pack them in a 500ml dairyland container or in a zip-lock, covered with new borax.  On the river, I will cut them in 1/2 or 1/4 and place them on the hook.

geo

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2004, 03:38:58 PM »

Listen to the "NOG", he knows...BTW...the boys' new rod... broken in quite nicely, thank you!;D

sean

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2004, 04:53:38 PM »

all the chum eggs are lose no skeen
used some coho roe in chunks tied up some sacs worked well however these eggs are singles and
pop easy. my question is is there a way to toghen the shell so there not so fragile?

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2004, 04:54:59 PM »

does the salt brine toughen the shell of the eggs because mine are plump,firm but pop easy and are hard ti tie without breaking?

Eventually, the salt will toughen the single eggs somewhat, what you missed was the water hardening stage. By running cold water over them for 3-4 hours, they harden sufficiently, then add the brine. Another neat trick is to fertilize the eggs (ethical borderline!!) - simply strip the singles from a ripe hen (gently & NOT all!!), then strip some milt in from a ripe buck (again gently and not all) letting the contributors go to do what nature intended with the balance of their load. Then treat as I noted above. Unfertile eggs have but a single wall between their insides and the world, fertilizing doubles that. The former milk well, but are more fragile/lose colour quickly - usually good for but a handfull of casts. The latter don't milk nearly as well, but are damn tough, clor lasts and will last on the hook dozens upon dozens of casts. Best bet is to mix one or two non-fertile BB's in with a few fertile for the best of both worlds (or for absolute killer, a SMALL piece of skein in the bait loop ahead of a roe bag  ;))

Thanks for the back-pat geo! 'Preciated!!

Good Luck & Tight Lines...
Nog

sean

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2004, 05:45:17 PM »

thks