Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help pick me a flyrod  (Read 7857 times)

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
Help pick me a flyrod
« on: October 15, 2004, 08:22:32 PM »

I want to get into flyfishing but i wouldnt know a good deal if it slapped me in the face :D . I want to convert to flyfishing because i need a good challenge! I have a low budget as i am 14. Max i wanna go is 150$. I have seen a good number of rods in my range i will post some of them and could some fly fishermen gimme some advice!

1. Fenwick highlander combo 6/7 wt new $99.00
2. Fenwick flyrod, 8,6 31/2 oz, aftma, fly line # 6, 5 peices with case 125$ used
3.9 ft omni osprey graphite flyrod, line #6/7 With Crystal river reel $50 used
4. New south bend 8.5 ft graphite flyrod line #6-7 $30 used
5.Martin fly rod a 7-8wt paid with reel 100$ never used   80$
6. Tiger eye brown with bronze wrap and a black anodized with aluminum reel with fixed fighting butt no reel 135$
7.Crystal river 8 wt with reel and sinking line brand new never used 75$ I know the guy and it for sure has never been used!
8.Fenwick Eagle Graphite no reel. not sure of price but in my range

So what do you think is a good deal? I have never flyfished but i know how to a bit. I would target pinks/cutthroat/steelhead and maybe rainbow. I would mostly fish rivers (Qualicums). I think flyfishing would be a great sport and a challenge. Also tying your own flies would be fun!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Help pick me a flyrod
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2004, 08:23:42 PM »

6/7 weight

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2004, 08:28:31 PM »

What one?

ocean_going

• fish on
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2004, 08:32:58 PM »

get st. criox  i dunno what price they are   but a  fine choice

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2004, 09:10:55 PM »

I like the fenwick 6/7 wt it sounds like it could get the job done for me!

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2004, 10:43:37 PM »

The Martin combo could be a good deal, however you have to know what your equipment. Crappy Tire sells Martin combo's and they are crappy. If you go to a reputable tackle shop, like Hub's in Abbotsford, you can find Martin rods which will feel like a Sage to a rookie fly guy. But that's only until you load the rod, then you would be hard pressed to beat a Sage. But again to a rookie, a nice 6/7 or 7/8 weight Martin with a small fighting but will run just under $100.00. Martin also has a nice cartidge reel 6/8 to match for $60.00. I've wrestled in quite a few big Springs and nasty dogs with Martin products and it works great for me. Buy good line - new is best because you know it hasn't been abused. Any used stuff could be a newbie's first set-up and could be thrashed. Martin's cartidge reel is strong and is silent on the retrieve but a small ratchet on the pull. I bought my 8-year old a 5-wt Omni last year for the price with the full expectation that he would break the tip in no time. Hasn't yet but I would never recommnd an Omni to a serious wannnabe flyguy. Go to Hub Sports in Abbotsford and see Roger-owner or Rod the Manager - tell them what you want and they will set you up with no BS. After two seasons with with your first combo then decide if you really need to step up from a Martin to a Sage.