Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: almost tragic  (Read 4129 times)

sassyboy

• Mining for Chrome
almost tragic
« on: October 14, 2004, 02:55:08 AM »

I was fishing just up from Peach road today when I heard a guy behind me yelling that a guy was floating down the river.
Two fisherman about two hundred yards down river got him out of the river. The guy was from California and was crossing at a deep spot with a strong current and lost it and his waders filled with water. He was very very lucky that he made it out alive, he was quite shaken up by the experience.
I know this spot as I crossed it last week thinking that it did not look to bad. All the rest of that day I kept thinking that I had to go back across it, turns out there is an easier way across so I was happy. Water even just below knee high can be trecherous never mind waist deep. Thank God we are not reading about another fatality today.
Please take extreme care

Athezone

• Old Timer
Re: almost tragic
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 05:14:34 AM »

Thank's for the reminder sassyboy. Weve lost enough good men because of male bravado and the need to reach a certain spot. Please everybody don't take a chance with your life. Before you take that first step into the water think of all the people that would be left behind and would be so deeply hurt because you are no longer there with them. A fish! You gotta be kidding me. A
fish in exchange for my whole life. Not this guy. Please take a few seconds to think before stepping out into the
abyss.  :'(

habzrule

• ====00=====
    • Make great money online in your spare time
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2004, 05:44:32 AM »

Couldn't agree more...as a total newb to these rivers, and after reading about all the fatalaties and close calls, I've decided to spend this season scouting out the safer spots from shore.  I consider myself a great swimmer, but a cubic metre of water weighs around a ton, and I've never tried to swim with concrete blocks on my legs. 
No worries though, all that great advice you guys gave me on which waders to choose will not go to waste though as I've decided to ask Santa for them this year  8)
http://members.shaw.ca/consumerforce/index.html : Best way to make some extra cash for fishing

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2004, 11:31:04 AM »

Buy a dive knife and strap it to your leg. It could also save your life. Granted, you would have to cut your waders up to do so......but its a good back up
You don't make friends with salad.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2004, 03:36:11 PM »

Even a great swimmer is no match against mother nature.

Matuka Jack

• It's time to fish!
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2004, 03:46:52 PM »

Special thanks to the 2 fisherman that pulled the man out.  It is always good to know that there are good people willing to help others.

Everybody, be careful and play it safe.
"Of the things we think, say or do:
1.  Is it the TRUTH?
2.  Is it FAIR to all concerned?
3.  Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
4.  Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?"

By Herbert J. Taylor

crack a dawn

• These boots were made for eating!
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2004, 08:26:40 PM »

I guess it can help to always fish with a partner.
I use a fishing vest with a quick inflate bladder.  Kinda of expensive,, around $250,, but a life saver if you fall in.. I hope!  never had to use it yet..knock on wood ;)

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2004, 10:42:48 PM »

:Dthank god we have good fisherman on the river like the two who pulled this guy to safety my hat goes off to you guys. and remember fellow fisherman and women safety first fish second. tight lines and sharp hooks to all. ;D 8) 8) 8)

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2004, 06:00:27 PM »

Another product from the US that seems to be a pretty good product for occasions just like this:
http://www.sospenders.com/product/8030402.html
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote