Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder Pools  (Read 2152 times)

Tbird

• I'm a llama!
Vedder Pools
« on: October 08, 2004, 12:01:42 PM »

Yesterday, went out with the dogs down to the pools.  I have a full grown sheperd Akita and a 6 month old lab springer.  Trying to train the little one to act like the big one when I'm fishing (behaved).  Tis a learning process for her but getting better with every trip out there.

Down in the lower end by the blue herin reserve there are a ton of eagles.  I was fishing for roughly 5 minutes and Moca (the akita/Shepherd) was teaching Sage (lab/spanial) the finer things in a dogs life like rolling in dead fish. 

Not sure if the scent of dead fish they had on them had anything to do with what happened next but this is crazy.  I had luckly glanced over at them roughly 20 feet away to see what they where up to and noticed above them was a large eagle.  The eagle was approx 150 in the air and started heading towards them on a downward angle.  I proceeded to call them over telling them I had treats for them and they started running towards me. 

The eagle went into attack mode I quess and really started zeroing in on Sage.  I droped my rod and ran as fast as I could to her and picked up some rocks and started chucking them up in the air at the eagle.  Dumb move, the dogs decide to fetch the rocks and run further away from me and closer to the predictor. 

Instinct not sure but Moca saw the bird approaching and ran towards Sage and litterally covered her up.  I know this sounds far fetched but she managed to make the eagle think twice about getting Sage and by the time the eagle could make up his mind I was there.  Crazy crazy stuff. 

Needless to say I left and went home for the day.  NO fish

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Vedder Pools
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2004, 12:06:56 PM »

Nice story

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2004, 12:12:10 PM »

Amazing story Tbird. Who woulda thot. And sorry to hear you did'nt land any fish as well but lo and behold, the weekend is near, chances anew abound for you and for me. Good Luck, great story to tell to my cohorts tonite over ahem, coffee.

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2004, 12:21:36 PM »

damn..raising a puppy right now, and thats a good thing to think about. We have 1 newf, and our new one is a Great Pyranees, so it would have to be one big eagle, but still.

They used to pester my rabbit when it lived on my deck.

You don't make friends with salad.

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2004, 09:20:31 AM »

:Dgood story tbird thanx for sharing that with us ;D

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2004, 09:34:05 AM »

wow

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2004, 11:57:50 AM »

nice story. the eagles around sasamat lake are huge as well. while fishing off the floating dock we saw a large eagle swwop down and grasp a baby mallard right from the water...this easgle was clearly over 3 feet tall. damn there huge b ut what a show that was for everyone there.

The_Roe_Man

• I like ROE!
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2004, 04:06:41 PM »

The eagle around belcarra is also huge.  It came down to scoop up a peice of chicken i threw in the water.  It sure came close to us.
I like ROE