Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best way to defrost fish  (Read 13715 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Best way to defrost fish
« on: October 08, 2004, 05:10:20 PM »

I have four fillets (sides of coho) that need to be defrosted by tomorrow evening for a potluck dinner. How do you all defrost your fish properly? Do you take them out in the morning, just let them sit at room temperature? Or do you soak them in water? Thanks.

chronic

• Don't eat $hit
Re: Best way to defrost fish
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2004, 05:14:38 PM »

the fastest way i know of to defrost meat is to put it under the faucet with cold water running on the package. never tried it with fish though. if its in a ziplock bag im sure it would work.

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2004, 05:36:37 PM »

Rod, if the fish are vacume packed, you can just soak them in water. if not, defrost them in the fridge.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2004, 10:32:13 PM »

Don't defrost under water - you'll wash away flavour and you'll even see the flesh fade out. It will look like it has freezer burn. A good way is to use a heavy aluminum pan which is placed on your wooden/laminate counter-top. Someone, probably K-Tel or Ronco, used to sell something like it on TV years ago. Place the pan on your counter and place the frozen fish onto the clean pan. The fish must be out of the package. And watch it melt. Your frozen fish, chicken or steak will draw the heat from the countertop through the pan. Try the quick experiment to make you believe. Take an aluminum frying pan out and put it on the counter. Put a dinner plate on the counter beside it. Place an ice-cube in each and see which starts to melt first and how quick.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2004, 11:43:54 PM »

That reminds me of the two European chumps at the Stave six years ago. They were hooking/snagging Chum after chum and only keeping the big ones. I got there after they did so after their 8th. fish whacked or so I wondered what the hell they were doing. I watched one of the guys walk over to a bush with a big male and I couldn't believe it. These clowns had fish stacked like cordwood. Crap - there had to be 30 fish stacked up. I told then - hey you know you're only allowed 2 each. And I told them I was getting the hell away from them. They yammered something in their tongue and just kept at it. I didn't have a cell to call DFO but I just thought of how yummy those sun baked and unclean Chummies were going to taste. Slurp 'em up with a straw.  :-X

chronic

• Don't eat $hit
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2004, 11:15:05 AM »

Don't defrost under water - you'll wash away flavour and you'll even see the flesh fade out. It will look like it has freezer burn. A good way is to use a heavy aluminum pan which is placed on your wooden/laminate counter-top. Someone, probably K-Tel or Ronco, used to sell something like it on TV years ago. Place the pan on your counter and place the frozen fish onto the clean pan. The fish must be out of the package. And watch it melt. Your frozen fish, chicken or steak will draw the heat from the countertop through the pan. Try the quick experiment to make you believe. Take an aluminum frying pan out and put it on the counter. Put a dinner plate on the counter beside it. Place an ice-cube in each and see which starts to melt first and how quick.

dude how ya gonna wash away flavour if its packaged???

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2004, 01:42:57 PM »

Defrost in fridge.

Sandhead

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2004, 05:46:18 PM »

I've tried leaving them in the fridge for a while hoping they would defrost, but they never seem to be defrosted enough, so I usually place them under a running facet with cold water on the zip lock bag. Defrosts them quickly....
Ain't no HO like a COHO

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2004, 12:45:18 AM »

Put 'em in the fridge the night before for dinner tomorrow.

carpman

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2004, 08:06:39 AM »

Defrostin in the fridge is what I normally do.

JiG_Head

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2004, 11:33:16 PM »

comon rod, you can do it!! you're my hero :D <- really means it :)
the shyt talker.