Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: how would you cook a spring?  (Read 10198 times)

badboi

• I'm a llama!
how would you cook a spring?
« on: October 03, 2004, 09:38:03 PM »

how would you cook a spring? looking for good ways to make the spring i caught on sunday =)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2004, 11:23:56 PM by Rodney »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: vedder on monday??????
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2004, 09:55:28 PM »

Some say they make good fish and chips or you could try smoking them.

Bantam_50

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2004, 10:15:18 PM »

I smoked the one my buddy got after the clean up and it was delicious.  ;D

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2004, 10:34:59 PM »

go to Superstore or any super market at the Asian food section, get something called " Tandori " spice, i think they recommand for chicken but i tried them on ling cod, halibut.. tasted pretty good....  follow the instructions...

Sandhead

Re: how would you cook a spring?
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2004, 05:44:06 PM »

With Ocean caught springs I chopped them into steaks.

Then I placed them on tinfoil, put a strip of ham accross the meat with a lemon on top and stuffed the cavity section full of cilantro. Covered in tinfoil and placed on the bbq for 15 minutes or so. 

Love the way it tastes....
Ain't no HO like a COHO

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2004, 11:12:27 PM »

I've always advocated simpler is better with really fresh fish.  Grilling with a little salt and pepper cooked slightly rare.  Add a sauce of your choice and BAM! you have an incredibly simple and yet sophisticated meal.  Make a white sauce, add a little dijon mustard and some chives.  Or if you like lemon flavored, get some really good homemade chicken stock, reduce by half, add some fresh lemon zest and some lemon juice, salt, pepper and swirl in some cold butter at the end.
I like baking in a tinfoil bag.  Get a piece of tinfoil, fold in half and seal 2 outside edges so you end up with a pouch.  Add your salmon, fresh herbs, little white wine, some cold butter salt and pepper.  Seal the last seam and bake in shallow pan.  You end up with a really moist delicately flavored piece of fish.  Then add sauce if you want.
President Club S. C. & P.

Yopesco

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2004, 12:24:08 PM »

Get ~1 cm thick filets and marinate them for 1-2 hours in some lime juice, salt and garlic. I do bread them before frying them, but I guess that's optional. I totally agree with MERC, if the fish is fresh, the simpler, the better, I also like it a little bit rare.

Yopesco