Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ANYONE EVER OWN A DODGE DAKOTA?  (Read 4377 times)

ffisherman

• Hunting The Big Rainbows In Dragon Lake
ANYONE EVER OWN A DODGE DAKOTA?
« on: September 17, 2004, 06:46:37 PM »

Hey everyone,
Well I just bought a 1991 dodge dakota 3.9L v6 extended cab. Has a box liner and canopy, its a nice set up. Only 2 wheel drive though but its all I could afford and I was getting a good deal. The interior looks like new and is very nice. The guy just put some new tires on it and there very nice. There is no rust at all on the vehicle. I just have to get 1 thing fixed. The truck sputters and the mechanic said its a carbon build up and isnt to hard to fix and once thats dont the truck will run smoothly. So my question is, has anyone here ever owned a dodge dakota? If so how did you like it and did you have any problems with it?

Joe Fish

• Here fishy, fishy!
Re:ANYONE EVER OWN A DODGE DAKOTA?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2004, 07:25:54 PM »

Not me personally, but my younger brother has owned two of them (the first one he sold to my baby brother).  He swears by them.  He lives up in Fort St. John and works on the pipelines, and whenever he has a choice, he prefers to drive his truck instead of the company Ford crew cab, even in winter.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2004, 10:42:29 PM »

I own a Dodge truck.
They are ugly primitive clunky and slow.
They also last damned near forever especially with regular maintenance.
I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

reach

• Yard work can wait.
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2004, 12:16:59 AM »

If you get bored of 2 wheel drive and want to keep up with your friends' 4x4s, a good cheap option is a locking differential.  I put a Positrax Lock-Right in my beater Ford 2WD for $500 from Mopac and it works great.  Just crawls right over all kinds of stuff.

There's a bit of extra clunking but for the extra traction it's awesome.  I don't have to worry about snow or loose bumpy roads any more.  Bang for the buck is unbelievable.

Terry Bodman

• Old Timer
  • A poorly tied fly is better than no fly at all!
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2004, 08:34:08 AM »

Owned a 1994 Dodge Dakota 4 x 4 V-8 (5.2) for years and it was a great truck. My only concern and the reason for trading it in was it is a small truck and I was getting too many toys to carry. I pulled both a fifth and travel trailer with it very successfully. Had about 200,000 k on it. I would like to tell you it is still running on the original engine but can't. The person who bought it tried to cross the channel at Peg Legs at 80K. The result, stalled vehical and when he tried to start it, water containing silt was drawn through the oil breather and scored all the cylinder walls. It is still running well with a new motor.  ;D
"One man of courage makes a majority"

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2004, 10:53:50 AM »

Had a 91 Dakota with the 5.2L.  Great truck.  Sold it to my nefew with 250000K on it and now it 300000k and still runs great.  The only trouble i had was the serventine belt would wear and squeal after 25000K ($90 to replace). I now drive a 2002 quad with the 4.7L.  Company owns it and the lease is up in Oct.  125000k.  I'll post it when I know what the sale price will be.  Should be a good deal.  2wd though.

FiShGutZ

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2004, 10:32:39 AM »

dodge sucks toyota all the way ;)

Robbie

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2004, 01:53:25 PM »

sold my 93 Dakota last year with a blown diff for 1200 bucks.  I bought it with 120000k on it and drove the crap out of it until 200k.  It took me through some of the roughest backountry roads you would believe.  All stock with regular tires and I could go anyehere.  I drove it through water up to the doors and high centred it many times(its a light truck a couple of guys can push it over the hump).  I miss that truck dearly.  I also loaded it with concrete from the batch plant a coupl of times and it got me to the job site no problem.  Great truck.  Better than my F250 I have now.

Joe Fish

• Here fishy, fishy!
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2004, 10:42:15 PM »

I think the winter set in early up north in Fort St. John.  My cabin-fever afflicted brother just phoned me to say he's looking at a Dodge Dakota R/T that has a Viper motor in it!  Is there really such a beast?  He says the Alberta dealership he saw it at wants 80 thousand for it.  Now that would be a seriously fun ride!

Fishin Freak

• Old Timer
  • Get The Feeling, Toyota!
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2004, 05:35:34 PM »

dodge sucks toyota all the way ;)
This guy knows what he's talking about. Spend the money on a Toyo!

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
Re: ANYONE EVER OWN A DODGE DAKOTA?
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2004, 07:23:12 AM »

I used to own a Mini Cooper S.  You could buy truck bodies for them.  Quick as lightning with a balanced 1275CC.  No room for fishin' gear though.  Mine was put on the Dyno at BCIT and hit 153hp with a 1.25L engine.  Yee Haw!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2004, 11:02:39 AM by grumman »