Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fly fishing the Vedder  (Read 11970 times)

Matuka Jack

• It's time to fish!
Re: fly fishing the Vedder
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2004, 06:15:57 PM »

Max, 
I just completed my modification.  What I did to my line are as follows:
1. I cut off 10' from the tip of the flyline.
2. I use Cortland Slip-On Leader Loop to each of the cut ends.  I did not not use Fenwick brand as it is soft and would cause hinging.
3. Do the same as on step 2 to the 5' and 10' LC13-Leadcore.

This gave me 3 interchangeable tips.   For Vedder 5' and 10' is all I would need. If I need to get any deeper, I'll just create another one that's longer.
"Of the things we think, say or do:
1.  Is it the TRUTH?
2.  Is it FAIR to all concerned?
3.  Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
4.  Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?"

By Herbert J. Taylor

Matuka Jack

• It's time to fish!
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2004, 12:03:34 AM »

Yes, I cut off 10' of the my fly line. What I cut off, I turned it into another tip that I can attach using the loop when I need to do a dry fly presentation.  This has to be done so that the line doesn't get too heavy.  If the line you are casting get to be too heavy for the rod --your rod might overload and break when making long cast.  If you are using an 8 wt slow action, cut 15' instead of 10'.  This is so that you don't overload your rod.

If you tell me what your rod weight, make and model as well as the maximum depth you are planning to fish. --I can make the calculation for you.  LC13-Leadcore is rated at 13 grains/ft.  That is what 13 stands for which consequently is the standard for measuring the sink rate in IPS, Inch Per Second (ie. 13 gr/ft sinks at approx. 13 IPS in still water).

If you have other questions and/or clarification that needs to be done, let me know.  I'll do my best to help.
"Of the things we think, say or do:
1.  Is it the TRUTH?
2.  Is it FAIR to all concerned?
3.  Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
4.  Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?"

By Herbert J. Taylor

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2004, 12:36:01 PM »

I put little loops at the ens of my leadcore tips buy pulling back the dacron at the end and snipping off about 3/8" of the lead but leaving the dacron. I then bend over the end to form the size of loop that I want and wrap the loose end to the length with flytying thread. Make a nice taper over 3/4" really locking the tag over then multiple whip finish knots. I'll make up multiple lengths with loops on both ends. If I'm not happy with the colour of the lead core I use a permanent felt marker and colour it. Then I drape the sinktips over something so I can easily coat the thread wrapping with Aqua-seal. I've never had a Spring, Chum or snag pull one apart. This works great.

ocean_going

• fish on
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2004, 07:43:57 PM »

wow   sounds like alot of work  I hope it works for you    as long as  you enjoy  yourself    and   hopefully hook into a fish.   fish on dude!     and on   and on    and on              cool     have    fun!!!!