Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cutthroat Fly Patterns  (Read 13079 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Cutthroat Fly Patterns
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2024, 10:00:19 PM »

Its going to be my first time fly fishing for these trout, do you fish them in smaller tributaries, or can they be found throughout systems such as the squamish/vedder or even the fraser?

Pretty much everywhere as said. Pitt, Alouette, Stave, Nicomen, Harrison & Chehalis Chilliack should all have these opportunities. First look for fry gathering in the shallows & backwaters. Then in a few weeks for large schools moving downstream and look for feeding trout, char and steelhead! The fry move close to the surface and you can see the disturbance they make.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2024, 06:33:13 PM »

Fwiw I was on stream for a few hours today and the only chum fry I saw was a dead one. Don't expect a big surge of fry from a few days of warm weather.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Colersmom

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2024, 05:21:40 PM »

Does anyone know if Mickey Finns work?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2024, 08:53:31 AM »

Yes they should work.

Should mention that there is at least one well known local guy who swears by slim olive leeches in a size 10 or 12.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 08:57:56 AM by RalphH »

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2024, 11:01:26 AM »

see a bunch of chum fry out today

KilgoreTrout

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2024, 03:29:49 PM »

Plenty of fry on the Harrison last weekend. Didn't see any trout, but it was a nice day out anyways 😎

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2024, 10:07:08 AM »

I have been out 3 times the last few weeks on 2 streams each time - a couple of spots on one stream. Saw few fry and few fish feeding. Caught one this week and a bit surprised how thin it was. Usually by this time they have fattened up nicely. Most hatcheries should be releasing fry by the end of the month or in the 1st week of May which should provide better feeding opportunities for the trout. Keep your fingers crossed.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2024, 10:14:37 PM by RalphH »

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2024, 09:51:39 PM »

I was out on a Fraser backwater on Thurs. Some fry about. No cutthroat showing on the surface. Landed a 14” cutthroat blindcasting.

However, yesterday I was in the Little Campbell doing some volunteer work. Many coho fry in the water at the various points I was wading. Looks to be a successful brood year.