Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New to BC (Mission Area)  (Read 6663 times)

Canadian Anglerz

New to BC (Mission Area)
« on: March 03, 2024, 12:36:57 PM »

Hi All,

I have never done any fly fishing before but am interested in learning, looking for casting classes to try and minimize the mistakes.

Any suggestions on where to take a class?

Thanks,

coastangler

Re: New to BC (Mission Area)
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2024, 08:07:53 PM »

Pacific Angler and Michael & Young both offer classes/courses as far as I recall. PA has dates pretty much once a month for the rest of the year https://www.pacificangler.ca/courses/introduction-to-fly-fishing/

I took the PA one back in the day, and Matt Sharp taught it. It's a 2-part course, first a 2h seminar (used to be at the shop but I suspect it's via Zoom now) then casting lessons at a local park. Matt is a machine and was a professional caster as well as having been a guide for decades. I personally still use the tips that I learned from him on that course when I'm out in the water.

In addition to the classes, make sure you go out to your local Mission rivers and sloughs during the summer months. Tons of hungry Whitefish and Pikeminnows during the summer time that take pretty much any fly you put in front of them. Sometimes catching (any) fish is what you need to adjust technique and self encouragement.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 08:11:15 PM by coastangler »
"It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.”
Sir Edmund Hillary