Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Share your Golden-Ages Steelhead Stories  (Read 8845 times)

Silex-user

Re: Share your Golden-Ages Steelhead Stories
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2024, 03:28:36 PM »

I guess I got carry away. It should being steelhad stories. Oh well.

Silex user

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2024, 03:31:38 PM »

that's return of 228%  per year.

I would argue that the way you have worder it mine is more a correct representation.

I think you should of said growth rate of, not return of

i would also argue that using the growth rate % in describing returns over that time useless in describing real estate price increase.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 03:42:58 PM by wildmanyeah »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2024, 04:25:34 PM »

Really they are both the average rate of change.

The 1st calculator just calculates the yearly average change as a percent.  So if the house is worth $24k after 1 year the return is 12,000 or 100%

ROI/FV includes the time value of money. We all know a $ today isn't the same as a $ in 1966. The 9% not just inflation but also opportunity cost, risk (possibly taxes) and what an investor wants to get out of it. Not included are moving costs and the marginal costs of new accommodation.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2024, 04:50:54 PM »

228% per year does not describe or account for any of that.

but I'm beginning to understand how the liberals do the budget
« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 04:59:51 PM by wildmanyeah »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2024, 04:59:28 PM »

mathematically the formula used by that calculator is fine. ROIs does not calculate an average return per year. It's discounted return over the life of an investment.  Averages are troublesome to deal with - that's why families have 1.3 children on average, for example. There is a considerable argument whether a house is an investment. My house is worth around 70k. The land is worth well over 1.5 million. If I sold the house I need another place to live.
My father sold that house in 2011 after my Mother passed away for around 360k. What does that say about your 9%? What's the ROI over 12 years on return of 1.24 million on an invest of 360K?

I'd like to add something, on topic even, that the Golden Age of Steelheading ended around 1960.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 05:10:27 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2024, 05:20:04 PM »

I remember seeing a chart of steelhead catches in commercial fisheries by year, The amount of catch basically declined since the record keeping started while salmon catches fluctuated.  it kind of implied to me that steelhead were always being over exploited being the less abundant fish being caught in salmon fisheries.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2024, 06:10:20 PM »

you misunderstood my comments. They did try to explain why the two are different.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 05:43:59 PM by RalphH »

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2024, 06:50:33 PM »

you misunderstood my comments. They didn't try to explain why the two are different.
Hey! Knock it off Ralph.This is a steelhead thread.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2024, 07:06:22 PM »

Hey! Knock it off Ralph.This is a steelhead thread.
This is gold for Ralph, he's finally got someone to talk to, lol!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2024, 07:08:16 PM »

someone doesn't like rabbit holes!

I don't think anyone here experienced the "Golden Age". It only gets recognized as such once it's long gone.

You want to know about the Golden age of steehead fishing read Haig Brown or Ralph Wahl or John Fennelly or Zane Grey.

Read a lot of history then you may realize when people start talking about the "Golden Age", we are all about to go down the toilet hole.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2024, 07:44:08 PM »

someone doesn't like rabbit holes!

I don't think anyone here experienced the "Golden Age". It only gets recognized as such once it's long gone.

I'm sure a lot of forum members have fished the thompson from the 1970's - 1980's. Those were definitely golden times for the thompson, maybe not in the late eighties but still night and day compared to today.

I guess I got carry away. It should being steelhad stories. Oh well.

Silex user

not at all, I loved it. More stuff like this! Less reminders about how unaffordable housing is
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2024, 08:03:22 PM »

I'm sure a lot of forum members have fished the thompson from the 1970's - 1980's. Those were definitely golden times for the thompson, maybe not in the late eighties but still night and day compared to today.

Imagine taking a train, and then getting an Indian to take you by canoe or horse back to go fishing for steelhead by the fly. Then when your done for the day you stay with local settlers who complain about the flooding and mosquitoes that happens every year and they are going to build to be building a Vedder Canal to fix it.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2024, 08:08:36 PM »

Imagine taking a train, and then getting an Indian to take you by canoe or horse back to go fishing for steelhead by the fly. Then when your done for the day you stay with local settlers who complain about the flooding and mosquitoes that happens every year and they are going to build to be building a Vedder Canal to fix it.

I tried really hard to understand what you are trying to say and I have no idea.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2024, 08:17:59 PM »

not at all, I loved it. More stuff like this! Less reminders about how unaffordable housing is

https://sportfishingbc.com/threads/thompson-river-stories-share-yours.95148/

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2024, 08:40:50 PM »

https://sportfishingbc.com/threads/thompson-river-stories-share-yours.95148/

How did I not see that before, I will definitely enjoy reading that. thank you! I only check this forum maybe I should start reading that one aswell.