Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Early Season Steelhead Vedder River  (Read 13689 times)

bj23

Re: Early Season Steelhead Vedder River
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2023, 03:56:28 PM »

I don't actually remember the last time I caught a kelt and I fished the upper a lot in late season. Even fish that would be classed as spawners....very very low percentage.....

I agree with with everything you are saying here, Bobby and support the reasons for your comments.

roeman

« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2023, 04:17:25 PM »

the last official estimates were issued about 20 years ago and I think it was 4,000. Numbers these days are possibly lower than that. Estimates for many years before was up towards the numbers you read but I think those were rough estimates and not based on actual swim counts and other info.
LOL  There is alot of "I think, possibly lower, rough estimate"  in this post... Would it not be better to just say you don't have any idea of the numbers.
Are you fishin or catchin

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2023, 05:26:31 PM »

LOL  There is alot of "I think, possibly lower, rough estimate"  in this post... Would it not be better to just say you don't have any idea of the numbers.

oh no doubt given how you quote what I said out of context. However it was in response to:

What is the Actual steelhead run size? I have heard it is about 3500 to 5000 fish in total. But I have looked at some other websites and older news articles and they say the river gets about 10,000 to 15,000 steelhead a year.

So do you think there are  more or less steelhead returning to the river than in 2000 or in 1975 which is IIRC when the higher estimates in his question applied?

Just wondering...

However one can also consult actual in river counts or you could put your wet suit on and try it yourself.

https://a100.gov.bc.ca/pub/acat/documents/r1568/ChilliwackAdultReport2000_ARL337-4__1097005167990_1ab3ba1501854265bfe6a6d51be175e5.pdf

there was also this study from the 80s where the adult returns were based on steelhead fry density. The estimate was 11,000 adults.

https://a100.gov.bc.ca/pub/eirs/finishDownloadDocument.do;jsessionid=2B5AE624E8FDA07DA8CF63CE9AB76AA0?subdocumentId=6981
« Last Edit: December 05, 2023, 05:53:23 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

avid angler

« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2023, 09:35:39 PM »

I’m skeptical about the effectiveness of snorkel counts in rivers like the C/V. I also can’t even imagine how ridiculous fishing would be with a return of 11k

Silex-user

« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2023, 05:41:48 PM »

Earliest I caught was back early 90's only first and last time I enter Boxing Derby. Fishing buddy and I fished mid section and I caught hatchery steelhead about 9-10 lbs. Took to Chilliwack Gun and Game club for weight in. I looked at weight broad and there were 6 steelie weight in and my was smallest one so I didn't bother to weight it. Took home instead. Since then most my early steelheads  were caught  in January.

Steelhead fishing was incredible back in the 80's, 90's and  early 2000's in Chilliwack/ Vedder river. Be lucky now if I catch 10 steelhead a season.

Silex-user

stsfisher

« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2023, 09:07:32 AM »

Earliest I caught was back early 90's only first and last time I enter Boxing Derby. Fishing buddy and I fished mid section and I caught hatchery steelhead about 9-10 lbs. Took to Chilliwack Gun and Game club for weight in. I looked at weight broad and there were 6 steelie weight in and my was smallest one so I didn't bother to weight it. Took home instead. Since then most my early steelheads  were caught  in January.

Steelhead fishing was incredible back in the 80's, 90's and  early 2000's in Chilliwack/ Vedder river. Be lucky now if I catch 10 steelhead a season.

Silex-user

Hmmmm? Same scenario for a buddy of mine in the early 90's (94ish) We walked into a very popular run with about 6 guys on it already who all told us one had been taken already from it. Buddy fired out a spin and glo and hooked one with in the first couple casts. we went into the clubhouse and saw enough fish in and around his weight so he took it home instead of it being kept for a future dinner at the club ( at least what's what we thought happened with those fish at that time?)
Earliest Chilliwack fish for me was December 14th. I used to always take a few days off right around that week and have decent success, and by that I mean you could usually find a single fish that week but gain a tonne of information for the up coming season. 

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2023, 07:23:14 PM »

Only a few days before the Boxing Day derby and not one steelhead weighed into Fred’s yet. Maybe not going to be a very good year this year.  :(

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2024, 11:28:58 AM »

So for the Boxing Day Derby only two steelhead weighed in out of 245 entrants. And for the Wally Hall Derby the fish caught seem to be on the small side, ranging from 7 to 10 pounds. If this continues this is a very disturbing trend for Chilliwack/Vedder River steelhead.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2024, 12:23:39 PM »

The weigh ins so far have predominantly been does. 2 fish weighed in out of 245 entries is not very good.  Low numbers in the river so far. Early run has been declining the last 5 years. I don’t start fishing till middle of January the last few years. With the lack of rain this season so far does not bode well either for the fish. Hoping we get a lot more rain and snow pack in the mountains in the coming months.