Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Centerpin setup for steelhead and coho  (Read 2902 times)

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
Re: Centerpin setup for steelhead and coho
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2023, 06:55:21 PM »

Okuma FCT series center pin rods are decent and budget friendly. I have a few different Okuma rods in my collection. I like the  durability of them. Bought all my Okuma rods at Fred’s.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2023, 07:00:22 PM by Wiseguy »

96XJ

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2023, 08:23:00 AM »

Does anyone have experience with the Luhr Jensen CP rod or reel ? ,  reel looks nice and spins forever, rod is 11ft and 8-17 lb , reel is half the price of an islander ..

santefe

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2023, 02:11:42 PM »

I find that my 10.5’ Sage and my old Silex or my older Avon are quite  capable of handling just about anything that swims in the Vedder.  Besides Islanders and the like are just too much for my budget.

aseredick

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2023, 07:48:41 PM »

If I was buying a coho/steelhead set up and didn't want to break the bank I think I’d probably take a long look at a trophy glyde reel and a trophy xl titan 2106 rod. I have that reel on trophy xl titan 3113 and it’s overkill for the coho and steelhead I run into on the Stamp.

spoiler

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2023, 05:57:49 AM »

My go to rod for Steelhead is a Sage 3106lb, I also have a 3113lb, 2106lb & 4110 in centerpin and level wind configurations.

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2023, 10:02:18 PM »

I would buy a used Sage 3106L and Milner bushing reel. With proper care these two will last a lifetime of enjoyment. And to boot you maybe able to sell them for more than your purchase price when you decide to quit fishing. I purchased a used 3106L and new Milner reel more than a dozen years ago and I am pretty sure I can get more than I paid for them if I ever decide to sell. Over the years I have landed more steelhead and cohos than I can possibly remember on this combo. 3113m is a little too heavy for steelhead fishing and I rarely ever use it any more for steelheading.