Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Centerpin setup for steelhead and coho  (Read 2907 times)

Chum Slayer

Centerpin setup for steelhead and coho
« on: November 01, 2023, 09:13:59 PM »

Hey there everyone, I am looking for a center pin setup specifically for Steelhead and Coho. What are your guy's recommendations/advice? I was thinking of an islander steelheader with a 13ft Raven RPX. However, I am not sure if this is the way to go, the combo would mainly be used for the Vedder and the Cowichan River. Also, it might be used to floss some sockeye on the Soamass River when they open.

canucksfan233

Re: Centerpin setup for steelhead and coho
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2023, 09:34:46 PM »

Feel like with the islander reel, nothing can really be bad haha. Everytime I see those reels on the river they look super nice (and thats coming from a silex user).

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2023, 11:31:59 PM »

13 footer is to long in my opinion. Pain for storage and transport. I had a Loomis 13 footer and sold it. Would recommend a 11'3 or 10'6. Also that ravens line rating is 4 to 12lbs. Way to light for a steelhead setup.

I also think a rod for coho and steelhead is not the right approach. These 2 fish can't be compared together. 95% of coho in local waters will be 8 pounds or smaller. This is not the case with steelhead. The steelhead in the vedder range from 6 pounds to 18 pounds. Sure an 18 pounder is not common but can happen and do almost every year.

If I had to go with one rod for both I would find a rod with a line rating close to the 3113lb from sage. I even find this rod a little on the soft side for bigger steelhead I've hooked that I need to turn around in bigger flows. 3113mb to me is the best all around blank for all including springs

As for reels I prefer bushing. I had an islander and it was a nice reel but after using a bushing reel the islander was sold. The simplicity of a bushing in the field is unbeatable.

243Pete

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2023, 02:38:24 AM »

If you are talking about the 3 piece Raven RPX it's a great coho rod, a tad under gunned for steelhead unless you are fishing them in slower/ walking speed water and socks... hmmm it could be fine unless you hook them in a bad spot.
I have an RPX 13 footer with the sliding rings with a Milner and it's a very specific kind of conditions and areas use, I've landed chum on it but it takes a lot of effort but the bend it puts is very nice.
The 11 foot RPX centerpin rods are better and more versitile in terms of use as a friend uses one for chums and springs with very little issue, says it's similar to a Sage 3113LB in terms of power.

For what you want to do I'd say go with a 10-11 foot pin rod with a 8-17 or 10-20 rating with a fairly fast action, fast action rods are slightly easier to cast especially for distance if you are new to pinning.

96XJ

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2023, 09:48:34 AM »

This is a great topic , just started looking for my first centerpin setup , i have about a 1k budget , there seems to be a debate on do you spend most of your money on the rod or the reel ? , im thinking on a 11'3 ft and either 8-17 or 10-20 like 243pete says , sage seems a little too pricey anyone have experience with the gloomis rods ?

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2023, 02:05:16 PM »

i like the old gl2 series g loomis rods. i have had a few and never had a problem. still have STR 1363 set up as a mooching rod for the salt. also liked the STR 1263. the new glx rods are beautiful rods but just to light for steelhead.

if it was my 1k, i would try to find a good condition sage3113mb. they are by far the most common therefor usually the cheapest of the sage drift rods. deals can be had if your patient. if your not willing to wait rainshadow, fendick, shimano technium and trophy titan all have nice rods that wont break the bank.

i would then be on the hunt for a milner kingfisher which can also be had for reasonable on the second hand market. 4 3/8 is the sweet spot. fished a 4" for a bit and found it a little on the small side with my bear mitts. look at the milner as more of an investment. they can only appreciate from here on in.

quality gear only appreciates. about 15 years ago i bought a IMW brand new in box for $500. never fished it. #36. at the time i couldn't believe i had just spent that much on a fishing reel. wife thought i was nuts. now there is a fellow on marketplace asking $2500. i also bought berrys bait last talisman expecting similar results.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2023, 02:49:55 PM »

I've built a ton of rods over the years and when Sage blanks were available I built far more 2106L and 3113L blanks than the others.  I found little demand for the M series of Sage's, but agree, that seems to have changed with people now preferring heavier rods.
Totally agree with bbf, buy the best tackle you can afford.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2023, 03:18:32 PM »

people still prefer those blanks, that is why they demand a premium in the marketplace.

my favourite blank is a 3113lb for steelhead although sometimes its just not quite enough back bone in heavy flows. 2106lb is also a beauty for hatchery coho but god for bid you hook a chinook or chum.

still think the 3113mb is the best all around round. soft enough tip for picky coho, yet enough back bone to land a spring or chum. another plus is its also a great rod for chinook in the salt.

BMo86

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2023, 05:27:54 PM »

Personally I find the 3133lb a bit of a a noodle rod, I use a 3113mb for steelhead and springs and a 2106 m for coho, it can also handle springs but lacks a little back bone

243Pete

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2023, 07:22:41 PM »

The 3113lb isn't the greatest for fast flowing areas, I've had steelhead take me for a run more than a few times but at the same time I've landed some huge springs on it without to much issue other than trying to move them from holding spots with powerful under current.

Used a Sage 2106CT this season and it was good for most everything, did have a few springs decide to take me for a run but ample enough to land them with no real issue again, Gonna see if a friend to build me a 3106MB older brown blank built up this winter as my primary spring/ chum casting rod.

A Gloomis GL2 is a good bet as an all rounder pin rod, not to heavy, good action, good backbone for larger fish and won't break the bank.

1k for an entire setup (rod and reel)? or just for a rod?
Like BBF said take a look at market place cause good deals pop up on rods and reels, be specific on what you want but just know that Sage rods do pull a premium price and same with Milners, use them and keep either in good condition and they won't lose value and sometimes actually jump up in value with time.

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2023, 07:43:05 PM »

......for a first rod I would advise a 10-6 ...11-3 is as long as I would ever go....personally prefer 10-20 ....8-17 would be OK...personally only use 12 lb main...rod action is most important in my mind....med to med fast...flex top third with some backbone in the bottom....that gives you fun on cohos and good control for steelhead.....I own a 10-6 lamiglass and an 11-3 rainshadow with these qualities.....also have an old convergence brown blank and a  old berkley cherry wood but these have slow mooching action and get limited use/low water light leader...from rods I've shaken in store I find technium and trophy on the heavy side....fenwick seems to make nice off the shelf stuff......as for reels I prefer bearing with limited porting...it should ideally balance out the rod but that is also dependent on real seat placement...
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

96XJ

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2023, 08:17:39 AM »

I was hoping to spend 1k for the whole package ...

Sage seems to be out mix for a rod - looking to buy new only - , the Gloomis IMX is in the $ range , the GLX will push the $ range out  ( and not much stock anywhere ) , the IMX is about $700 and the next one down is the trophy for about $300 ,there seems to be nothing in the middle ,  does anyone shop across the line ? , maybe some better prices ?

All the comments are on the rod , so it seems to focus on a good rod and then whatever reel fits the budget ?

Thanks

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2023, 10:03:56 AM »

.....go to a store and shake some sticks...don't be afraid of budget options....fenwick hmx at Fred's  150....the fish don't care how much you spent.....and if you break it or decide you don't like it the damage to your wallet will be minimal......steelhead in my avatar caught with 10 foot budget spin rod with a tip that broke an hour before....
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

243Pete

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2023, 10:40:10 AM »

I was hoping to spend 1k for the whole package ...

Sage seems to be out mix for a rod - looking to buy new only - , the Gloomis IMX is in the $ range , the GLX will push the $ range out  ( and not much stock anywhere ) , the IMX is about $700 and the next one down is the trophy for about $300 ,there seems to be nothing in the middle ,  does anyone shop across the line ? , maybe some better prices ?

All the comments are on the rod , so it seems to focus on a good rod and then whatever reel fits the budget ?

Thanks

If you can try to look for the Gloomis E6X line of rods, not bad for the price and decent quality.
It can be hard to find anything in the middle atm, can always wait a bit and see what comes in or if you see something you might want and ask a shop if they can bring it in.

Seemed to be mainly the focus in this thread as a decent rod can make fishing more enjoyable but the same can be said about a reel, I rather have a slightly cheaper rod but a nicer quality reel but with that said I have used all kinds of stuff from Ross pin reels, Okuma, Islander and so on and had fun with all, I just use Milner's now cause those are my main pin reels and the ease of cleaning (Bushing) and how smooth they are makes at least for me a more enjoyable time as well.
You don't need to break the bank budget to have fun as you are the one who decides what you want to buy/ use.

hammer

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2023, 07:56:11 AM »

For the money, I would also look at Trophy rods. I have a couple of brands. I like Sages but the rod I use most is a rain shadow with a milner bushing.