Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Landing net preference for river fishing for Salmon/Steelhead  (Read 1770 times)

vancook

• Old Timer
Landing net preference for river fishing for Salmon/Steelhead
« on: October 27, 2023, 01:06:27 PM »

In recent years I have seen the use of landing nets increase on the river. I wanted to purchase one myself and wanted some opinions from members of the style and size of nets they prefer.
I have fished from high banks at times and can see having a long handle as an advantage but makes transporting it around a pain.

What nets do you guys use and why?
Thanks in advance

Darko

• Old Timer
Re: Landing net preference for river fishing for Salmon/Steelhead
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2023, 08:47:09 PM »

In recent years I have seen the use of landing nets increase on the river. I wanted to purchase one myself and wanted some opinions from members of the style and size of nets they prefer.
I have fished from high banks at times and can see having a long handle as an advantage but makes transporting it around a pain.

What nets do you guys use and why?
Thanks in advance
Personally I have one of the cheap long handle lucky strike nets. Paid maybe 30$, I love the net. Sometimes I carry it by shoving the handle through my back and my backpack this has been the most comfortable way to carry it around. Of course make sure to get the fish slime off before you carry it like that. Sometimes it gets caught up while bushwhacking but I find it happens less than when I carry it in my hand. Also I can say that net has SAVED MY LIFE when doing some sketchy wades. Best wading stick. Although I am slowly getting smarter and not attempting that many crazy wades anymore  ;D. Some people say the mesh is bad for the fish, cant stand it. If the net and the fish is in the water they barely even touch the mesh... Million times better than the way I see half the netless anglers allow their fish to bang on rocks.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2023, 08:56:09 PM by Darko »
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

salmonrook

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2023, 12:51:41 AM »

Was asking for opinions on this on a earlier thread
I too "landed " on the Lucky Strike with the extendable handle .
Its 40 bucks at CDN Tire

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2023, 09:58:18 AM »

Ok I'll be more specific.
What fancy nets do you guys like and size? IE. Moby nets. I'm fortunate to have some funds to spend on misc. fishing gear by the end of the year and a net would help fill that annual budget.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2023, 10:03:56 PM »

Ok I'll be more specific.
What fancy nets do you guys like and size? IE. Moby nets. I'm fortunate to have some funds to spend on misc. fishing gear by the end of the year and a net would help fill that annual budget.

I bought a 36" Rushton cradle net years ago and it's fun to use. Added bonus, it makes me feel like a fancy pants when I carry it around.

It's not cheap and it's not easy to carry and it's not the most practical style of net and it's difficult to manage by yourself and there's no handle to extend, but if you're just looking to flex on everybody then I'd recommend it ;D

GordJ

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2023, 08:23:37 AM »

In my opinion a “good” wooden net is not optimal for the river. A big, long handled net is heavy and unwieldy. In addition i am cringing at the thought of a beautiful Moby or Rushton net banging along the rocky bottom while trying to net a fish, especially when that helpful klutz fishing beside you tries to help out. I would get a cheaper net more suited to banging around and spend the difference on rod or reel.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2023, 09:55:32 AM »

In my opinion a “good” wooden net is not optimal for the river. A big, long handled net is heavy and unwieldy. In addition i am cringing at the thought of a beautiful Moby or Rushton net banging along the rocky bottom while trying to net a fish, especially when that helpful klutz fishing beside you tries to help out. I would get a cheaper net more suited to banging around and spend the difference on rod or reel.
X2
It ain't the roe bro'

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2023, 11:08:21 AM »

I can't argue your logic. I have witnessed many abuses of nets by people trying to help.
I guess I should look at a smaller collapsible or foldable net. I've never really brought a net to the river but have found myself fishing in spots where a net would be beneficial.