Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser Tidal Coho Opening  (Read 17787 times)

Woody Debris

Re: Fraser Tidal Coho Opening
« Reply #75 on: November 12, 2023, 09:10:11 AM »

Do chum get caught with any regularity in the lower Fraser rec fishery or is it just an odd fluke ? I looked for creel census studies for the lower Fraser. There was an extensive one conducted from 1985 to 1988 plus another in the early 90s.

I found and  skimmed the 80s study and it reports that hundreds of chum were reported caught each year , mostly in the section of river above the Pitt River confluence. Most were released. One study zone spanned the area from the confluence with the Pitt to the confluence with the Sumas.  At the time chum caught in non-tidal waters could not be retained which suggests most were caught above Mission. Most caught below the Pitt were retained.

Link:https://waves-vagues.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/library-bibliotheque/141038.pdf 
aka RalphH : Who are you? Personal Profile Reply #895

https://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=15.msg427645#msg427645

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #76 on: November 12, 2023, 08:25:34 PM »

anecdotally, since the mid 90s in the area above and below the Pitt River confluence, while fishing in a group setting, Ive seen fewer than say 6 chum per season caught.
On spoons, colorado blades, drifted jigs twitched jigs etc in open water not narrow runs.

stsfisher

« Reply #77 on: November 13, 2023, 05:40:14 AM »

it's Duncan, east of Fort Langley at the end of River Road.
Right where the "old timers" would give me tips on how to fish.
I was 16 with no fishing experience or mentors but wanted to get into it. I would go down and set up beside the few guys that would be there. Fond memories drowning worms and roe with good people. If not for bar fishing i am not sure if i would have caught the bug I have today for fishing.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #78 on: November 13, 2023, 10:29:02 AM »

Its criminal that they have wiped out that fishery STS.
Bar fishing was a great time for many including myself.
Duncan and Poplar Bars were my favorite on the lower river.
Is a dam shame what they have done with these closures .
To say it is done to protect fish and then see all the nets out there is disgusting and frustrating.
Cant say i ever seen a Chum caught while Bar fishing the lower river.

Jamier

« Reply #79 on: November 15, 2023, 11:56:38 AM »

Fraser is finally Open.  Crazy, I will still give it a go tomorrow and will post my results.  Not expecting much.  Good tide in the morning for all those who care.

Cheers

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #80 on: November 15, 2023, 05:45:52 PM »

I like how it says no fishing for wild coho in the letter. Anybody know which lures only catch hatchery fish? Or which arm of the fraser only has hatchery coho?  ;D
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

Woody Debris

« Reply #81 on: November 15, 2023, 06:23:11 PM »

I like how it says no fishing for wild coho in the letter. Anybody know which lures only catch hatchery fish? Or which arm of the fraser only has hatchery coho?  ;D

I saw that too. Maybe Rod can do a video on how to catch one not the other.

In the mean time just remember to tell the FO you are fishing for hatchery coho
aka RalphH : Who are you? Personal Profile Reply #895

https://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=15.msg427645#msg427645

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #82 on: November 15, 2023, 07:26:13 PM »

The odds of catching a sockeye or pink are about the same as winning the Lotto.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #83 on: November 15, 2023, 07:26:58 PM »

So, I wonder if that was a copy and paste error to FN 1211?

FN1212 for the non tidal Fraser says the same thing: no fishing for wild coho.

In the non tidal Fraser, the Harrison is the most upstream watershed with clipped coho. Apart from strays, generally any coho that one would encounter upstream of the Harrison to Hope would be wild.

Perhaps the FN is suggesting that you not fish for coho above the Harrison?

Jamier

« Reply #84 on: November 16, 2023, 03:44:16 PM »

So, this morning I headed down to Glen Valley to do some Bar Fishing with a friend.  Arrived at 7 am and got the lines in the water.  Got a nice little fire going to warm the hands, cup of coffee and I was ready.  First fish on for my friend line was a small Sturgeon.  Gently released back into the wild. Okay, at least its something.  Not to much after that for a couple of hours.  Of course as I was standing over talking with my friend my rod started jumping around, I raced over to it and set the hook figuring this fish was for sure on the end of my line.  Nope not there.  Wow cant believe I missed that one. Yep that was the bite I was waiting for and that was it.  Stayed till 1:30.  Just a few little taps after that.  Was worth the try.  Can't still believe they waited till Nov 15 to open.  No sign of any fish on the surface.  Time to do some duck hunting.

wjlz

« Reply #85 on: November 18, 2023, 09:08:53 AM »

It is middle November, I checked, it is open for coho. But, any hatchery coho?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #86 on: November 18, 2023, 10:32:44 AM »

I think in it's clumsy way it's trying to reinforce that wild coho cannot be retained and must be released immediately. The notice for tidal waters of the Fraser (1211) says the same thing.  Either that or they were trying to get a laugh!

So, I wonder if that was a copy and paste error to FN 1211?

FN1212 for the non tidal Fraser says the same thing: no fishing for wild coho.

In the non tidal Fraser, the Harrison is the most upstream watershed with clipped coho. Apart from strays, generally any coho that one would encounter upstream of the Harrison to Hope would be wild.

Perhaps the FN is suggesting that you not fish for coho above the Harrison?
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #87 on: November 18, 2023, 11:09:47 PM »

I think they get there laugh when they give us an opening when everything has allready gone through the system.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #88 on: November 19, 2023, 07:48:15 AM »

...but you're not bitter! ;D
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #89 on: November 21, 2023, 08:35:50 PM »

As Rodney mentioned in his letter to DFO, bar fishing for coho is a fishery many older fishermen can enjoy without driving far which many simply can't.  These seniors used to anticipate such fishery as fall is approaching. They used to fish in warmer days of September and October.  But such fishery is cruelly taken away from these senior fishermen.  Opening so late in November is a joke and a mockery to the seniors. It is inhumane to ask these older folks to fish long hours in such cold temperature, especially the chance of hooking a hatchery keeper is next to zero. Their frail old bodies can't risk catching cold or pneumonia in such cold. DFO may as well not open this near hopeless fishery.